Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

91 Australian Mustang Wings Tested to Destruction!

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:52 pm

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19930093834.pdf

Ninety- one "Mustang" wings, declared surplus following World War II were procured for this programme and in pursuance of the above objectives these specimens are tested to destruction without modification.
Attachments
Moosetang.JPG

Re: 91 Australian Mustang Wings Tested to Destruction!

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:20 pm

BDK,

Yes this happened, and was quite the study. Believe it or not I discovered this in college when an old out of use textbook on Aircraft Structures fell into my hands....And an entire chapter was filled with the data on the experiment!~ The story is kinda neat.

Knowing the hours and service histories of the aircraft, the wings were tested to see if there was a link in fatigue resistance versus prior damage or hours flown. I believe the results were inconclusive. Interestingly I heard that some (2 or 3) of these broken mainplanes were stored and forgotten and became parts of some of the "1980's" build Mustangs at one point.
Post a reply