Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Awesome! Any shots of the new hangar?

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:25 pm 
Jump Street

menards wrote:
Did the VIP flight happen before the gates opened up?

Yeah. Quite a bit actually. I checked my photos, and the time stamp was 7:02 when they were running up the engines. Take off was at 7:20, and then flew over the field at 7:30, and I believe landed shortly after that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:29 pm 
Jump Street

martin_sam_2000 wrote:
Waltz41 wrote:

All in all, another good show. Only CAF's Corsair did not show, and not sure what happened with the SBD....it either came in late Saturday or was tucked away for a while.

Did the P-63 show up? I heard the Corsair had maintenance issues and the SBD showed up around the middle of the show on Sat, landed and taxied in. Never saw or heard anything with regards to the -63.

Sean

Actually, looking back at the program, the P-63, Corsair, C-46 Tinker Belle, and C-47 Second Chance were no shows. Several trainers as well. To be honest, Friday morning when I got there around 8 am, only Yankee Lady and Fifi were there. 90% of the stuff came in that day. I know that's 'arrival' day, but years past, a decent amount of stuff is already in.

And, not sure why, but MAAM never flew or took the covers off it's B-25 and Avenger the whole weekend. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:58 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Warbird Kid wrote:
Awesome! Any shots of the new hangar?

I wanted to but really couldn't get a clear shot with the show going on. It was pretty impressive. I'd say it's an equal size to their existing hanger with the addition of a large storage area next to it. Very happy they could finally get it constructed I'm sure it will help the collection immensely.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:00 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Waltz41 wrote:
martin_sam_2000 wrote:
Waltz41 wrote:

All in all, another good show. Only CAF's Corsair did not show, and not sure what happened with the SBD....it either came in late Saturday or was tucked away for a while.

Did the P-63 show up? I heard the Corsair had maintenance issues and the SBD showed up around the middle of the show on Sat, landed and taxied in. Never saw or heard anything with regards to the -63.

Sean

Actually, looking back at the program, the P-63, Corsair, C-46 Tinker Belle, and C-47 Second Chance were no shows. Several trainers as well. To be honest, Friday morning when I got there around 8 am, only Yankee Lady and Fifi were there. 90% of the stuff came in that day. I know that's 'arrival' day, but years past, a decent amount of stuff is already in.

And, not sure why, but MAAM never flew or took the covers off it's B-25 and Avenger the whole weekend. :?

I heard the MAAM Avenger had hydraulic issues. The SBD was active on Sunday.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:50 am 

With the real "Memphis Belle" now on display, and the "Movie Memphis Belle" looking like its in dire need of a repaint... Id like to see the plane assume the identity of another famous-but-no-longer-exists B-17F. Just my personal opinion, and I realize that I don't own the plane, and I can personally donate the paint & labor....and all the other knee jerk responses that are said when someone suggests what could be done. Just some wishful thinking of seeing another tribute bird.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:28 am 

menards wrote:
With the real "Memphis Belle" now on display, and the "Movie Memphis Belle" looking like its in dire need of a repaint... Id like to see the plane assume the identity of another famous-but-no-longer-exists B-17F. Just my personal opinion, and I realize that I don't own the plane, and I can personally donate the paint & labor....and all the other knee jerk responses that are said when someone suggests what could be done. Just some wishful thinking of seeing another tribute bird.

Hells angels would be a nice one to represent.

Sean

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:41 pm 

bmoran wrote:
Waltz41 wrote:
Doc was never scheduled to fly (of course they didn't really want to advertise that!), it was in to give ground tours the whole weekend,

Why not clearly advertise static display vs performing? Red text stating "Open for Tours" in my mind does not negate performing; the C-54 was "Open for Tours" and "Performed"...

Doesn't speak well of MAAM and WWII Weekend when they are essentially the only show to host both Fifi and Doc that explicitly planned not put them up together...

I go to the MAAM WW II Weekend every few years as it's less than a 2 hour drive for me. My wife and I were going to go as I wanted to see both B-29's in the air. I was concerned with the wording of the brochure I received in the mail as well as the on-line text. The deciding factor for me not to go was the weather forecast for Saturday; there was a good chance for rain and TS all day. Fortunately for those that went to the show the rain never materialized. But, I'm glad I didn't go as both planes didn't fly, and admission is not cheap at $32 per person.

MAAM Should have been more clear in what they were going to do.

Hopefully both will be in the air next year at MAAM as well as the C-97; I understand all C-97 flights this year are for crew training.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

martin_sam_2000 wrote:
menards wrote:
Id like to see the plane assume the identity of another famous-but-no-longer-exists B-17F.

Hells angels would be a nice one to represent.

Sean

I'd suggest a more family/media friendly name. While we're not still in the '50s, some might have an issue with the first word.
And remember, we're trying to make history more accessible, not just to appeal to a small minority of aviation history buffs.

Besides, the motorcycle gang would probably sue for trademark infringement. :)