Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So many to honor and remember today. So much sacrifice by so many over all these years that you almost become numb to it. So much is owed to them that it becomes frustrating trying to do anything about it. So much to thank them for that you have to come to grips with your emotions to cope with it. So easy to throw the word "hero" around yet that's exactly what ALL of them were and are yet it's almost embarrassing to say the word. Far too many rows of white headstones that if you look at them long enough they become a vast blur and somehow surreal. Far too much loss that has occurred on each and every one of those white headstones that you have to block it out to cope. Far too much pain to families that no one could possibly feel unless you have been right there in their shoes. Far too many emotions and feelings that many of us who care so much fear we'll take for granted.

We can argue and debate all day whether some of our conflicts were worth our involvement, yet there we were deeply involved. The debates are all that they are ... simply debates, but there's no debating the losses we have endured over all these years of conflict. There's no debating the tragic pain and horrible suffering from those who we have lost to war. The loosely thrown around "Thank you for your service" phrase always feels like a punchline to me and far too easy for many people to to use to justify their own presence in front of service members and veterans, yet it seems the phrase is all that many of us have to use to make our "efforts' to appreciate their sacrifices seem worthy.

No matter what you do to remember them, it's never enough, no matter how you do it, it's never enough. You can go to your local military cemetery and place little flags and flowers next to each headstone, yet it's still not enough. You can fly your flag at half staff and attend your local Memorial day parades, but it's still not enough. The problem is there's nothing that can be done that's enough. It's just the way it is.

I hope many of you do what I do each year on this day. I hope you can find a quiet place and stand alone for a few minutes. I hope you can let your mind go to a place where you can see the face of someone you know, or know of, who made the ultimate sacrifice. I hope it draws you to emotions that humble you and make your knees weak. I hope you wipe away a few tears. I wish you all blessings as I hope you feel what I feel today. I hope your emotions will allow you to remember and honor all those service members who are resting under all those white headstones and I hope that you can allow yourself to block out all the countries current chaos and divided beliefs. Today is not about politics, left or right, conservative or liberal, race, sex or anything else that troubles us. This day is all about those endless rows of white headstones. This day is a day we remember and honor those who gave their all for us so that we can still live in freedom. We are free because of them, we are free to bicker and complain about whatever we feel we need to bicker and complain about. We are free to be happy and love our family and friends and we are free to do what's right for our fellow humans and ourselves. We wouldn't have any of these freedoms if it weren't for all of those who are resting under those white headstones. They deserve our thoughts today, if just for a little while. God bless them all and may they continue to rest in peace.

Mark

Most of you have most likely seen this video many times before, yet it always feels like the first time to me. This is a tribute to Navy gunner Loyce Edward Deen, a Navy gunner that was killed in action in late 1944.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpt6Bvr2L-s

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:06 am 

Thank you , Mark

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:21 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

A good thread to pause and remember.......

https://youtu.be/IzUU-hdtxv8

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Indeed it is ...

Below US Marine Colonel Francis Fenton conducting the funeral of his son Private First Class Mike Fenton, near Shuri, Okinawa, May 1945.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:00 pm 

Very well said. My small town lost 3 in WW2 and 2 in Vietnam - 3 of them are buried in town and I make it a point to take my wife and kids to the cemetery to visit those 3 graves and let my boys understand what Memorial Day is really for. There are a lot of graves with flags there but that day belongs to those 3. - Ryan