Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:57 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for sharing the pics and video. Both are fantastic but the video particularly so.

A few random thoughts that struck me while watching:
- Love the patina on Greg Shelton's FM-2.
- The CAF Sea Fury, while not particularly stock, is a really nice example of the type in my opinion.
- The T-6 with the black and yellow striped tail is absolutely gorgeous.
- Devil Dog has never looked better and I love the paint scheme as well as the eight gun nose.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:04 pm 

Hi All,

Friday 5/25/18 of Breckenridge is posted to my site:

https://www.vgbimages.com/AirShows/2018 ... 8/n-MQKM93

Teasers:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:13 pm 

Stephen Rister wrote:
Vagabond,

It was nice meeting you at the show Saturday. Most of the Mustangs that didn't fly Saturday flew
Sunday. The Duck made a few nice passes before heading home.

PM me your address and I'll send you a DVD. That may be a month or so...

See ya around,
Stephen

Thanks Steve! Great to meet you two, as well!

Yeah, sorry to have missed the actual show on Sunday, but man that heat was too much, Friday and Saturday! PM sent regarding the DVD - Thanks!

Glad that the video I shot is bringing the experience to those that couldn't be there.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:00 pm 

Vagabond wrote:
Hi All,

Teasers:

Great photos from Friday and Saturday. The heat was too much. We hung in there until 2:00 on Saturday and then hid in the shade of our trucks tailgate on Sunday until 3:00.

Fun fact... the guy in the back riding in the Grumman Duck is the guy who saved the Duck. Pulled it out of a lake in the Bahamas!

When looking through your online gallery I spotted me and my boy under the P-40. Had to walk from shade to shade.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:20 am 

C170BDan wrote:
Vagabond wrote:
Hi All,

Teasers:

Great photos from Friday and Saturday. The heat was too much. We hung in there until 2:00 on Saturday and then hid in the shade of our trucks tailgate on Sunday until 3:00.

Fun fact... the guy in the back riding in the Grumman Duck is the guy who saved the Duck. Pulled it out of a lake in the Bahamas!

When looking through your online gallery I spotted me and my boy under the P-40. Had to walk from shade to shade.

My all time favorite J2F, The background colors on the VJ-1 logo are still not quite right! Should be Willow Green like the tail.
Someday it sure would be nice to see this aircraft spotted next to Sikorsky JRS-1 #1063.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:31 pm 

Hi All,

The gallery from Saturday 5/26/18 at Breckenridge is now populated with images as well as the video.

Saturday Gallery Link:
https://www.vgbimages.com/AirShows/2018 ... rday-52618

Photo Teasers from Saturday:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:25 pm 

Aabsolutely Lynn! Shoot me your address and hope to have editing finished I hope in June.

Stay in touch!
Stephen

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:47 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hey Paul, CRACKIN photos!! Wished I coulda gone. Like others have said, its like you where there with those photos and video.
May I ask what type camera you use? Prop blur is really excellent in the vid and stills. You gonna post more videos?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:09 pm 

Thank you, Steve D (and others) for your kind words!

I shoot the flying images with my Canon 7D MkII with the Canon 100-400 Lens. The last 2 shows, I've used the newer Canon 100-400 IS II lens instead of my older 'trombone' 100-400 and am convinced the latest version's IS (Image stabilization) is markedly better!!

I usually use a shutter speed of 1/250 for the flying shots and have been experimenting with 1/200 and 1/160 for landing and takeoff shots. The Newer Canon 100-400 really makes it possible to get slower shutter speeds and sharp images.

For video (and statics) I'm using the Panasonic GH-5 with the Panasonic 14-140 lens. I shot Breckenridge video mostly in Manual mode with a shutter speed of 1/60 for smooth props and an aperture of F11 - made possible by using a Neutral density filter to reduce the light coming in through the lens and be able to use such a slow shutter speed. The autofocus on the GH5 is light-years ahead of what you get with a camcorder.

Mrs VB and I got slammed by the heat and had to miss the actual show on Sunday. Sorry gang, but man, it was HOT!!!!! I love warbirds, but you can't shoot if you're dead! :)

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:39 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

JohnTerrell wrote:
Yes, the "L69" Corsair is the Brewster, just about completed.

Anyone get a photo, I hope I hope?

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:06 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Nice shots! Yup the heat is a surprise this early this year. We went from Spring to late-July in the matter of a few weeks. August is going to be a "mother.." The LOU IV Mustang is pretty good with a nod back to it's original correct colors, serial# etc., but it should display ATHELENE on the right side rather LOU...I know, I know...not my plane...just sayin' for those who don't know about the original... :wink:

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:02 am 

From the Breckenridge Airshow Facebook page...

"... the Breckenridge Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors voted at the July 25th board meeting to forego having an Airshow in May of 2019. However, the future of the Airshow is not all gloom - the board will revisit the idea of having future airshows later this year."

Hopefully we will see future airshows. The second revival show was a good one but evidently not good enough for the board to put their efforts into another one for 2019.

My 2 cents... maybe do an every other year show... and find a cooler month. Texas is a bit warm in late May.

Hats off to Ezell and their hosting a great gathering of rare Warbirds.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:57 pm 

C170BDan wrote:
From the Breckenridge Airshow Facebook page...

"... the Breckenridge Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors voted at the July 25th board meeting to forego having an Airshow in May of 2019. However, the future of the Airshow is not all gloom - the board will revisit the idea of having future airshows later this year."

Hopefully we will see future airshows. The second revival show was a good one but evidently not good enough for the board to put their efforts into another one for 2019.

My 2 cents... maybe do an every other year show... and find a cooler month. Texas is a bit warm in late May.

Hats off to Ezell and their hosting a great gathering of rare Warbirds.

I went the first year and the weather was interesting. First time ever going to Texas so I wasn't sure what to expect. Pretty hot on Saturday (bearable but HOT), and then it rained with scattered lightning strikes on Sunday. Neither of these are good for airshows. I agree I think another month would be better.

I'm also happy I went in 2017. Just based on pictures and such I think the first year was a better showing of planes. Gathering of Corsairs along with most (if not more) of the planes that showed up in 2018. Spirit of Texas flew a bit for us, awesome to see all the Corsairs, good gathering of Stangs, CAF Helldiver, P-38, TFL added to the mix, just a better selection I thought personally. Only thing missing was a Bearcat for us but the O'Connor Blue Angel was supposed to show...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:06 pm 

Great pictures and video. Thanks very much for posting.