Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: XP-82 Twin Mustang May 2018 UPDATE and walk-around Video

Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:19 pm

C VEICH wrote:
OD/NG wrote:Just be glad that we have a person with incredible resources such as him to promote aviation for all of us! By the way, he’s really down to earth and loves talking about aviation.

Just to be clear, I meant nothing derogatory by my post. Rather only that I do not have the means to afford such things and thus may not fully understand the nuances involved.

No problem, I didn’t interpret that in a negative manner.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:46 pm

The latest from the XP-82 Facebook

After ten long years, we are ready to fly ... almost. We received our Airworthiness Certificate on Sunday, one day before Oshkosh. This did not give us enough time to fly off the restriction hours (15), and then get a check ride. Tom went to Oshkosh to give a talk on the XP-82 restoration. While there there was a F7F that had an apparent wheel failure; the same type of wheel our 82 has. Even though our two wheels passed inspection, Tom insists putting on two new wheels. Then we will have our first flight. (photo credit Michael O'Leary Air Classics)
Thanks.
XP-82 Group

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:22 pm

Oh wow, it's so close! Go Tom and co!

Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:54 am

warbird51 wrote:Has the test pilot been revealed yet? Steve Hinton, Stu Dawson, or ?

I've seen it reported multiple places now that Ray Fowler is to be the pilot.

When I think back to 20 years ago I would have never guessed someone would take on such a project. Hats off to all the restorers returning to the skies the aircraft I never thought I would see in the skies again.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:09 am

C170BDan wrote:
warbird51 wrote:Has the test pilot been revealed yet? Steve Hinton, Stu Dawson, or ?

I've seen it reported multiple places now that Ray Fowler is to be the pilot.

When I think back to 20 years ago I would have never guessed someone would take on such a project. Hats off to all the restorers returning to the skies the aircraft I never thought I would see in the skies again.

Ray would be an excellent choice!

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:55 am

Here's my Oshkosh P-82 photo.
Attachments
20180722_193504a.jpg

Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:21 pm

bdk wrote:Here's my Oshkosh P-82 photo.

Best part is the counter-rotating props!

(pedal-plane-parade video:)

https://www.facebook.com/andy.ovans.3/v ... 582399098/

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Now these are cracking pictures from their blog....any news on the first flight?

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:37 pm

What an awesome piece of machinery. Twenty years ago I would have bet money that the only Twin Mustang that we would ever see fly would have been the ex-CAF bird. Now we've got two nearly ready and neither of them is the ex-CAF machine! Extraordinary times for sure.

PS - I assume from the missing gear doors that those photos were taken prior to that above with the yellow spinners. No?

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:27 pm

Chad, yes, any photos of the aircraft with the spinners still black were taken before the photos with the spinners yellow as they are now. On Mustangs retained by North American for their own flight testing purposes, they painted the prop spinners on each individual solid colors - yellow, blue, green, red, etc. - typically the only marking separating them on the ramp from all of the rest of the factory-fresh Mustangs.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:18 pm

Wow. Those photos!!!

JohnT, I never knew that. Thanks for explaining.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:53 pm

KiwiZac wrote:Wow. Those photos!!!

JohnT, I never knew that. Thanks for explaining.

The guy who shot those is a friend of mine. The night run made the cover of EAA's Sport Aviation magazine. He is also a member on this site.

Will

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:14 am

The latest!

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-restora ... -2018.html

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:15 pm

I've got to wonder how odd it is flying sitting that far left of the center line of the aircraft. Also whether ones senses are thrown off by this. Landing it must be a little weird also.

Does a pilot need to go through specialized training to fly this aircraft? Or is all that is required is to be checked out in a basic Mustang?

Yeah I know lots of questions that have probably been asked and answered at some point in the past.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:21 pm

I have often wondered about the sensations felt when flying this aircraft. Even a roll would seem weird. Since no one has flown own since the 1980s where would you get specialized training? I would think there are some very obvious differences between the F-82 and the P-51, the first being having to land and take off left or right of the center line, and forward view, since there are two engines to block your view.

Now I am not trying to come down on the pilot that was flying the CAF F-82 when it crashed, just the opposite. The pilot flying the CAF F-82 when it crashed was a very qualified P-51 pilot but even he had problems landing the aircraft. I would think that back when they were new I would expect that there was specialized training for the aircraft but I do not know that for a fact.
Post a reply