Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Memphis Belle Interior: Complete?

Sun May 13, 2018 8:22 am

Is the restoration of the interior of the Memphis Belle complete? I thought I read somewhere that it is not finished and will be worked on in the future. Could be wrong...

Re: Memphis Belle Interior: Complete?

Mon May 14, 2018 1:52 pm

There is still work to do inside the plane. It will be a multi year effort

Wed May 16, 2018 12:02 pm

APG85 wrote:Is the restoration of the interior of the Memphis Belle complete? I thought I read somewhere that it is not finished and will be worked on in the future. Could be wrong...

I'm pretty sure that I recently read that interior work will continue after the plane goes on display.

Thu May 17, 2018 8:07 am

News story on CNN about MB today, though this says nothing about the interior...

[urlhttps://www.cnn.com/2018/05/17/politics/memphis-belle-bomber-unveiling-air-force-museum/index.html][/url]

Thu May 17, 2018 8:22 am

Since there is no timeline, and the NMUSAF is expected to operate into perpetuity....ill guess they'll have time to do it in the future, at some point. Since the plane is going to be hanging from the ceiling for the rest of our lifetimes. Whats the rush?

Thu May 17, 2018 8:32 am

Local T.V. coverage of the Belle

https://www.wsls.com/news/national/rest ... e-unveiled

Thu May 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Can you actually hang a four-engine bomber from the ceiling? Seems there would be weight limitations.

Thu May 17, 2018 4:29 pm

It's not hanging from the ceiling, it's sitting on three posts.

Thu May 17, 2018 4:31 pm

old iron wrote:Can you actually hang a four-engine bomber from the ceiling? Seems there would be weight limitations.

Thu May 17, 2018 7:24 pm

OD/NG wrote:
old iron wrote:Can you actually hang a four-engine bomber from the ceiling? Seems there would be weight limitations.

Whats up with the oil coming out of the seams????

Thu May 17, 2018 7:34 pm

The Belle's looking real nice! :drink3:
I finally made it over there in April for the first and probably only time, and I did catch a glimpse:
P1120807a.JPG

:roll:
So now I've seen eleven (okay, eleven with an *) of the surviving B-17s!

Thu May 17, 2018 7:38 pm

pontiac58 wrote:Whats up with the oil coming out of the seams????

It's condensation - IIRC, it's some result of the humidity and air conditioning combined with the flat paint finish.

(Edit: I guess I didn't RC. :oops:)
Last edited by Chris Brame on Fri May 18, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 17, 2018 8:15 pm

Chris Brame wrote:
pontiac58 wrote:Whats up with the oil coming out of the seams????

It's condensation - IIRC, it's some result of the humidity and air conditioning combined with the flat paint finish.

I had read somewhere it was the anti-corrosion treatment they did to the interior of the airframe before suspending her that was weeping around the rivets and seams.

For what it's worth, I overheard one of the NMUSAF curators today say that they will indeed keep working on installing interior items for the next few years.

:partyman:

Thu May 17, 2018 8:18 pm

Heard it straight from the horse’s mouth - it’s a preservative they sprayed. Apparently several people warned this would happen. For what it’s worth, I don’t think it looks bad - kinda neat really. I do hate them mounting incorrect antennae on her.

As for the Belle, the exhibit looks better than I expected, though I’d prefer she’d be on the floor. Still, I don’t see how they’re going to finish the interior with her being up there. The soundproofing material alone will be a pain in the neck.

-G
http://www.gblume.com

Edit: Nevermind, got beaten to it.
Post a reply