Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

TBM down in Az? - May 2018

Tue May 08, 2018 3:47 pm

Details are somewhat vague:

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2018/05/g ... urred.html

Re: TBM down in Az?

Tue May 08, 2018 3:59 pm

I don't have further info, but this is a recent arrival to the US. Here's some recent video from work being done in Stockton, CA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyQZ_JMiwsg

Tue May 08, 2018 5:19 pm

The owner, Ron, was flying the TBM home from California and was on a leg from Phoenix to Albuquerque when he had what he called a catastrophic engine failure at around 12,000 feet.

The terrain was pretty rough and they decided to bail out instead of trying to put it down in the rugged mountainous area below. Ron said he rolled it over a bit so his passenger could get out and after he was safely clear Ron followed shortly after.

They landed in a heavily forested area and his passenger was caught in a tree about 30 feet up. In the process of getting himself down he fell and hit pretty hard. Ron also hit hard but his helmet to save him from more serious injuries. Both Ron and Kenney were pretty beat up but are going to recover. In fact they are on their way home as I write this.

The TBM-3E 53337 was a sweetheart for sure. The previous owners in Australia did a lot of work on the old gal and she was in great shape. We helped with the pre purchase inspection, import and licensing/airworthiness. We also put a lot of the original WWII gear back in to make her more authentic. Ron was going to take her to the TBM gathering that is coming up and was very excited to do so.

We are so relieved that Ron and Kenney are okay. We are also heartbroken that the TBM is gone as we really became attached to the old gal. They still haven't located the wreck so I guess there is a slim chance that she put down by herself but that is our dream at this point.

Good job Ron!

Tue May 08, 2018 6:24 pm

Glad pilot and passenger are OK! I can imagine after putting so much time and $$ into an airplane it would be sorely tempting to try and "Land" your baby.

Tom P.

Tue May 08, 2018 6:56 pm

The owner should be cheered for having parachutes in the airplane. Both parachutes were successful. His forethought saved their lives.

Tue May 08, 2018 8:39 pm

Great to hear a positive outcome. It's also a great credit to the pilot that he chose to bail out where many would have tried (and most likely failed) to put the aircraft down in one piece.

Wed May 09, 2018 5:41 am

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/avengerr ... 53337.html

Wed May 09, 2018 5:49 am

Clearly, they made the best call, for the best outcome, at a time where emotion could have led to a much worse outcome.
I can only imagine, how gut wrenching, having to leave your new baby must have been.
I'm sorry for the loss, but definitely glad that all survived to fly another day.

Much respect.

Andy

Wed May 09, 2018 7:50 am

Awesome to hear that the pilot and crew were able to bail out safely.

Wed May 09, 2018 8:45 am

For those that have never been to Arizona and think that the entire state is flat desert, they are in for a lesson. Arizona has some of the roughest mountains, and oldest forest in the US are located in central Arizona, desert in the southern part of the state, and high plateau in the northern parts. Elevations go from 22ft above sea level to 12,600ft. In a 2hr drive you can go from desert to forest, swimming to snow skiing. In the central region, a plane can go in and disappear. A number of years ago a Cessna 207 went missing after taking off from Pinetop, AZ, it was located months later just a few miles from the airport, it was completed hidden by the thick trees.
I would not be surprised if it takes a long time to find where the TBM ended up.

Wed May 09, 2018 9:12 am

Matt Gunsch wrote:For those that have never been to Arizona and think that the entire state is flat desert, they are in for a lesson. Arizona has some of the roughest mountains, and oldest forest in the US are located in central Arizona, desert in the southern part of the state, and high plateau in the northern parts. Elevations go from 22ft above sea level to 12,600ft. In a 2hr drive you can go from desert to forest, swimming to snow skiing. In the central region, a plane can go in and disappear. A number of years ago a Cessna 207 went missing after taking off from Pinetop, AZ, it was located months later just a few miles from the airport, it was completed hidden by the thick trees.
I would not be surprised if it takes a long time to find where the TBM ended up.

Matt, you're absolutely right. A quick look on Google maps shows extremely rugged terrain. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a while to find it.

Wed May 09, 2018 9:45 am

Would that airframe have an ELT on it?

Wed May 09, 2018 11:13 am

Yes it did. No satellite or VHF 121.5 signals have been picked up so far.

Wed May 09, 2018 12:41 pm

Glad they bailed out OK!

Wed May 09, 2018 1:00 pm

I can see the headlines when they do find it.... "Flight 19 found after nearly 75 years of searching."
Post a reply