Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:41 pm 

I hope it's not someone from here. Regardless thoughts and prayers to their families.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/25/2- ... craft.html

Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:25 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Sad to hear. Have not personally seen this aircraft, but apparently was based at Dallas Executive (KRBD) - https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=209882

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:05 pm 

Unfortunately, and very sadly, I can confirm that it was Steve DeWolf and Charles Skoda (info has already been made public). Steve was a local long-time attorney, and author, and was on the board of Cavanaugh Flight Museum. A great guy, fun to be around, and he regularly flew a T-6 or Stearman at local airshows. I am so sorry for your loss Tammy.......hang in there Jake.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:30 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I am not familiar with either of these gentleman but that does not prevent me from feeling sad for their loss. Condolences to all the friends and family of the deceased.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:22 pm 

C VEICH wrote:
I am not familiar with either of these gentleman but that does not prevent me from feeling sad for their loss. Condolences to all the friends and family of the deceased.

Knew both of them. Steve through folks at Cavanaugh and Charles from VFA201

knocked the wind out of my sails......

USN Ret
Recip FE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:44 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/texanregistry/at6d-4285526.html

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:47 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Well that really sucks. That crew flew at RBD a lot - most every week, so it wasn't like they weren't proficient. That's awful. Not sure but I think they had a Stearman, too.

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:38 am 

Tragic last few days. Heard there was a fatality at Reno Stead when a plane flipped on landing. Losing too many people in aviation.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:42 am 

RyanShort1 wrote:
Well that really sucks. That crew flew at RBD a lot - most every week, so it wasn't like they weren't proficient. That's awful.

One of the things I've learned flying the T6 is that the more you fly it, the more comfortable you get with it and then it becomes very easy to get complacent.

The T6 is really an easy airplane to fly…until it isn't.

Not judging anyone, just contemplating how lucky I've been once or twice...

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:30 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

^^^^

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:22 pm 

maradamx3 wrote:
Tragic last few days. Heard there was a fatality at Reno Stead when a plane flipped on landing. Losing too many people in aviation.

That was John Parker in a Thunder Mustang.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=66471

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:39 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Feel sorry for those guys and their families. NO one starts a fun flight thinking it will end in tragedy. Reminds me of 1998. I had moved back to Nashville but still had flying privileges on an SNJ-3 in east Tennessee. OF course, I loved flying the T-6 and all things "warbird" as the economy was booming and everyone had tons of money to buy and fly warbirds.
I was at home working around the house and received a call that a warbird had gone down in downtown Nashville with two fatalities. We had perfect VFR weather and I'd been working in my lawn that day. So the phone rings, and we go down the list of all the T-34 guys and women, T-28s , fighters, T-6's , the whole warbird community. Came up with nothing. Went to work Monday morning and when I got there everyone said "did you hear about the plane crash?" "Yes, but no one knows who it is or where they flew in from. " "Well it hit across the street and they have it marked off."
So I walked across the street and a silver T-6 had clipped trees on the edge of our property, hit an alleyway, slid wingless up against a duplex ( stall/spin). Apparently a local flight student had bought the plane less than a month earlier, had a phony checkout from a fraudulent instructor in Tullahoma, turned loose, and got himself and a photographer killed. He never knew what killed him or why.

My primary instructor, Col. James Haun, author of "Spitfire Wingman from Tennessee" told me that before the war every aircraft had a couple things you had to know about them or they could kill you. When checking out in a new airplane, you had to learn it's quirks and flaws. Post war, most designs were better, safer, more benign to a pilot's mistakes or ignorance. These two poor guys, whom by accounts were nice guys, lost their life before they even knew the lethality of the aircraft's design. Have seen this repeated so many times, unfortunately.