Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: B-17 interior
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Which B-17 today, either on static display or airworthy has the most complete interior? From a complete upper turret to oxygen and electric systems. I know most of them on static display have gutted interiors but about the others. Thanks

Post subject: Re: B-17 interior
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been in Shoo Shoo Baby and was very impressed.
I understand the unnamed B-17 at the IWM at Duxford had had systems added over the years.

You're correct, the tour B-17s I've recently seen have various levels of completeness, one (and I can't recall which one) was a real disappointment...with even the top turret system removed.
That's not a complaint, as ANY B-17 is a treat, but an observation.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:32 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Museum of Flight's B-17F "Boeing Bee" is another which is very complete/outfitted with all original type equipment throughout present.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:42 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I was in My Gal Sal after she was fully restored and ready for display <back in Cincy>. That airplane was complete down to the insulation on the interior cabin skins.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:14 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

This is a completely scratch built cockpit.
The fellow has done such amazing work that it warrants mentioning and a look through his thread.
No doubt he has used some original parts. Detail is first class.

https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthr ... ht=B-17man

Andy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DH82EH wrote:
This is a completely scratch built cockpit.
The fellow has done such amazing work that it warrants mentioning and a look through his thread.
No doubt he has used some original parts. Detail is first class.

https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthr ... ht=B-17man

Andy

How kool is that!!!!!!!!! :drink3:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:50 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Kyleb wrote:
I was in My Gal Sal after she was fully restored and ready for display <back in Cincy>. That airplane was complete down to the insulation on the interior cabin skins.

As was I. "My Gal Sal" indeed had the most complete and original B-17 interior I've ever seen. Even the interior colors were mostly correct, unlike almost all other restored B-17s (most are painted "Interior Green" throughout, which is incorrect. Wartime B-17s were mostly bare metal inside, with some areas and parts painted Dull Dark Green. (They weren't expected to be in service long enough for corrosion to be much of an issue, so most parts weren't painted unless absolutely necessary..) Unfortunately, I've heard that that a lot of Sal's interior equipment was removed to reduce weight when she was hung from the ceiling of the National WWII Museum.

SN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The Belle will be

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:02 pm 

Quote:
The Belle will be

Hopefully, yes.

I'll admit to being a little worried. The announcement that she is going to be displayed elevated and wheels-up doesn't seem very conducive to an ongoing interior restoration. The NMUSAF may very well call it quits now that the exterior is done.

In regard to My Gal Sal, you can add my vote as well for "most complete." There were a few problems here and there, but they were nitpicky considering that she was BY FAR the most accurate yet attempted. (At least, until Ray and I are done with Lucky Thirteen...)

Boeing Bee and Shoo Shoo Baby are pretty good as well, the most egregious problems with these birds being the interior paint-job. (Nelson is dead-on about this plague.) I have heard that Mary Alice is well-done, but I cannot speak with first-hand experience - I seem to recall her being the only restoration with the armor plates installed. There used to be an excellent thread showing Mary Alice's restoration, but the Photobucket fiasco has lost all of its pictures.

-G
http://www.gblume.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:17 pm 

Dave Tallichet's B-17 used in the movie was fairly complete with interior parts back in the day. However I believe the NWM folks removed the top turret to allow for more room in the cockpit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:54 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Movie Memphis Belle had her top turret intact and working when she was based out of Geneseo.
I was in it and I operated it! Removing the turret was not the work of NWM.
It got removed when she got leased out to hop rides.
When she got returned to Geneseo I have to say that she looked "rode hard and put away wet!"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:45 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Here are some photos I took of My Gal Sal in 2005, when Bob Ready was gracious enough to give my wife and I a tour of his hangar in Blue Ash, Ohio. The plane was mostly finished, but awaiting final assembly. Sadly, local politics scuttled Mr. Ready's plans to build a museum around her, but she has found a home at the National WWII Museum in New Orleans. As you can see, she probably has about the most complete and authentic interior of any restored B-17, in large part because she was restored strictly for static display, so modern FAA regulations weren't an issue. According to my B-17 "guru" Karl Hauffe (who used to wrench on Sentimental Journey) the only real inaccuracy is the cockpit. The whole thing is painted Bronze Green or Dull Dark Green, when the sidewalls, aft bulkhead and ceiling (other than the window frames) should be bare metal and covered with the same olive green fabric padding seen in the radio room. The nose is correct, although the fabric padding is missing. Note that the bomb bay and waist section are painted silver, to simulate the correct unpainted aluminum. These are smaller collage images I put together for my old Photobucket account. I can post the full size individual pics if anyone is interested.

SN