Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:57 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

warbird51 wrote:
DaveM2 wrote:
metal Yak 11 wing
Of which there are no replacements available
Are there replacement wooden wings available?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:53 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

bdk wrote:
warbird51 wrote:
DaveM2 wrote:
metal Yak 11 wing
Of which there are no replacements available
Are there replacement wooden wings available?

Not that I am aware of. There was a company in Romania building new Yak-11s a few years back for a Swiss Company, but not sure if they are still going.
Might be a moot point anyway, would assume the fuse is also twisted, so maybe a parts only air frame now.

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Everything on that airframe will be shocked and twisted.

Overhauled engine, new prop, new wing, rebuilt fuselage. Some pieces on the non-impact side of the airplane will be reusable, with inspection.

Good source of parts.

Mind you, whomever parked that machinery on a grass landing surface might be looking for new parts once the pilot is out of the hospital...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:01 am 

I have never heard the term 'Bingle' before.

Could someone please enlighten me as to what it means, its origin, etc?

Johnny's Mother : "Don't be silly Dear - you can't do both!"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:42 am 

CAPFlyer wrote:
I've seen several mentions of this "holding a wire for a precision landing competition."

I want to know what in the world would a wire have to do with precision landing. Seems to me that any wire (ground or aerial) would be a "man made obstacle" that would be a major no-no for any certifying agency, be that the insurance company or the applicable airworthiness agency (the CAA in this case).

Also, as for using the grass, I've seen several mentions that it had been used by several other aircraft that day, so was the Yak the biggest to use it, or did he just drift off centerline and that's what put him in peril?

The wire was to to held between the two cherry-pickers, with the bush planes landing between them (assuming that the Friday practice reflected the final plan). They were not (yet) in this configuration at the time of the incident, the arms were folded into a collapsed configuration. I had the impression that the two cherry-pickers were quite close together (not in their position for the precision landing event) but they were basically in line in respect to me so I couldn't really say.

While the grass had been (and was afterwards) used by everything from Tiger Moths to the Mk.IX Spitfire, I can't remember it being used earlier that day (my memory may of course be incomplete) - the incident was at 10:04, shortly after show start. The two Yaks had certainly used the seal for takeoff.

Show programme at https://www.warbirdsoverwanaka.com/2018 ... programme/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:49 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

ErrolC wrote:
The wire was to to held between the two cherry-pickers, with the bush planes landing between them (assuming that the Friday practice reflected the final plan).

So were they supposed to be parallel to the grass strip with the planes landing off to the side of them or were the planes supposed to be flying over or under the wire? Your description is not clear. Still, to put those *ON* or even near the grass strip when not in use doesn't make sense being that if it's a valid landing area, you should keep it clear during the performances in case of an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:49 pm 

seagull61785 wrote:
I have never heard the term 'Bingle' before.

Could someone please enlighten me as to what it means, its origin, etc?

Australian slang word for a accident or minor collision , we even have a insurance company called "Bingle"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:39 pm 

CAPFlyer wrote:
ErrolC wrote:
The wire was to to held between the two cherry-pickers, with the bush planes landing between them (assuming that the Friday practice reflected the final plan).

So were they supposed to be parallel to the grass strip with the planes landing off to the side of them or were the planes supposed to be flying over or under the wire? Your description is not clear. Still, to put those *ON* or even near the grass strip when not in use doesn't make sense being that if it's a valid landing area, you should keep it clear during the performances in case of an issue.

I'm not clear on the relative position of the cherry-pickers (either when set up, or pre-event) and the marked grass strip. I also don't want to give my impressions from ground level on the crowd line. The bush planes were landing under the wire (during practice). The wire wasn't set up at the time of the crash, and I'm sure that it was never the intention for any aircraft other than the bush planes (during their event) to pass under the wire.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:21 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Wow, okay. That makes it even more problematic to me.

I'm not normally one of those "safety police" types, but there's a reason that here in the US the guys who do "ribbon cutting" stunts have to use thin plastic, wood, or bamboo poles and lightweight rope to hold them up and string a plastic or paper ribbon between them - the setup will always break before damage is done to the airplane. Using a pair of man lifts to hold up a wire (frangible or not) and creating a major restriction to the available landing area (horizontally) is a major no-no when it comes to safety planning, and I find it amazing that any insurance company or regulatory agency would okay that in the first place.

Unfortunately, I suspect this will be the end to Wanaka's airshows for a while. Unless they can provide a convincing action plan that shows approvals from multiple levels that contingencies were accounted for and this was caused by someone not following the plan (with where the lifts were placed) with insufficient time to recognize the error and correct it prior to the incident, there will be heads rolling at all levels involved and a major re-think of how airshows are approved and conducted within New Zealand.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:16 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Seems like there should be an airboss to clear aircraft for landing and ensure safety is maintained? A second set of eyes would have helped immensely had the pilot been advised or reminded of this hazard.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:09 am 

ErrolC wrote:
CAPFlyer wrote:
ErrolC wrote:

I'm not clear on the relative position of the cherry-pickers (either when set up, or pre-event) and the marked grass strip. I also don't want to give my impressions from ground level on the crowd line. The bush planes were landing under the wire (during practice). The wire wasn't set up at the time of the crash, and I'm sure that it was never the intention for any aircraft other than the bush planes (during their event) to pass under the wire.

Photos of Fridays practice of the 'Sport Aircraft Display'. Mainly from ground level, which doesn't help with perspective.
www.flickr.com/photos/errolgc/sets/7215 ... 304715881/

Here is an example of simultaneous use of the seal and grass - I think the Tiger Month in the background is the left-most of a vic of three taking off to position for the Classic Aircraft Flypast.

ImageDominie ZK-AKY and Tigers by Errol Cavit, on Flickr

And this multi-camera edit from the Tiger Moths gives some context too.
https://youtu.be/Ue-Dny8yufg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:46 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I'm afraid the pictures don't help the cause any. To me, it seems like a needless obstacle that really doesn't add anything to the competition but does add a safety issue and goes back to my original concern - how did this get past the Insurance and Regulatory inspectors?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:19 pm 

CAPFlyer wrote:
To me, it seems like a needless obstacle that really doesn't add anything to the competition but does add a safety issue and goes back to my original concern - how did this get past the Insurance and Regulatory inspectors?

They obviously didn't have you there to supervise. LOL !! :drink3:

C2j

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:09 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Bradburger wrote:
Brenden S wrote:
Has there been any video of the crash landing been uploaded to the internet yet?

Just recently came across this footage: -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz07Q5Etyjc

Shame about the Yak, but good to see no one was injured!

Cheers

Paul

Looking at the vid a few times, from that angle it looks like the plane ran into the parked cherry picker?? Is it possible the pilot did not see it sitting there? Maybe a blind spot?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:50 pm 

I must say I'm mildly surprised that I haven't heard of an action by the Occupational Health and Safety agency, but the pilot/owner is suing all vaguely plausible targets for the cost of repairs.
https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/wanaka/wa ... organisers

Quote:
Arthur Dovey told the Otago Daily Times this week a writ had been filed in the High Court at Wellington claiming damages for the cost of repairing his aircraft.

Mr Dovey said the claim was against Warbirds over Wanaka Airshows Ltd, which is owned by the Warbirds Over Wanaka Community Trust.

Four individuals involved in the running of the show were also named in the writ, Mr Dovey said.
Mr Dovey maintains that during the morning briefing before the show, pilots were not warned of the cherry pickers and no restriction was placed on where planes could land.

When landing a 1940s-era Soviet-made Yak-3, the pilot has restricted forward vision because of the aircraft's extended nose and three-point landing attitude.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next