Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:21 pm 

From the National Museum of U.S. Air Force Museum Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AFmuseum/

Quote:
The B-17G Shoo, Shoo, Shoo Baby will be moved to the museum’s restoration area where it will be placed in storage until it is transferred to the Smithsonian’s National Air & Space Museum at a date to be determined by the Smithsonian.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:23 pm 

The Warbird News by Warbird Digest also got some great video!

https://www.facebook.com/WarbirdsNews/?ref=br_rs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:28 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Great news! I'll be visiting there in April; will the area around Memphis Belle be closed off until the ceremony?
Did they have to move any other aircraft around to do it, or was SSSB parked in front of a door? Looks like they borrowed her guns for Belle.

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:25 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thinking about going to Dayton on May 17...

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:33 pm 

I was just there last week and the place is a mess. Displays moved around, signs with nothing, artifacts with no signs.
In addition to the B-17 moving in and out they are also updating the HVAC system. Areas are closed off around many of the displays. I recommend waiting until they have the big reveal in May for the Memphis Belle.
Unfortunately no upgrades to the poor lighting in the WW1 and WWII Hangars.
Also noted that it appears they took some of the 50cal machine guns from Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby for the Memphis Belle, so I guess the swap is complete.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:15 am 

I know it's about space etc, but I absolutely hate that those two 91st combat vets won't be displayed together.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby needs to be displayed someplace soon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:20 am 

I know it's not the "National Museum of the B-17" but, yeah, I wish they'd find a way to fit both in the hangar next to each other.

They tell such a big part of the Air Force story.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:34 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

ALOHADAVE wrote:
Unfortunately no upgrades to the poor lighting in the WW1 and WWII Hangars.

Happy to be corrected Dave, but I believe the lighting is specifically chosen for the long time health of the artifacts on display- this can be especially important to fabric and other surfaces on certain aircraft. Photographers especially seem to hate and complain incessantly about the lighting at Dayton, but if it is the best for the long term health of the aircraft for future generations, a small nuisance indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:32 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

sandiego89 wrote:
Happy to be corrected Dave, but I believe the lighting is specifically chosen for the long time health of the artifacts on display- this can be especially important to fabric and other surfaces on certain aircraft. Photographers especially seem to hate and complain incessantly about the lighting at Dayton, but if it is the best for the long term health of the aircraft for future generations, a small nuisance indeed.

I would like to see the study proving deterioration from lighting rather than just anecdotes. Does anyone have a copy? I can understand UV damage, but what kind of lights are they using now and how much would the damage be accelerated if they doubled the quantity?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:48 am 

bdk wrote:
sandiego89 wrote:

I would like to see the study proving deterioration from lighting rather than just anecdotes. Does anyone have a copy? I can understand UV damage, but what kind of lights are they using now and how much would the damage be accelerated if they doubled the quantity?

Here are some simplified discussions. http://www.academia.edu/6472963/Effect_ ... nd_Control
https://www.museumsgalleriesscotland.or ... -lighting/

In short, different materials are damaged at different rates. What is an acceptable damage level?

Lance Jones

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:37 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

and from the museums website FAQ page, http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Questions.aspx:

"The museum’s exhibit lighting is made up of three major subsets: theatrical overhead lighting, artifact case lighting and wall lights for illumination of exhibit text panels. Previously the museum relied on lighting fixtures that gave off ultraviolet radiation and were harmful to many of the artifacts. Therefore we began looking for lighting alternatives that would preserve the museum’s collection, adequately light our artifacts and provide energy savings. LED technology was identified as the best solution, and we began using LED lighting in all new exhibits.

The fourth building features 100 percent LED lighting and we plan to convert all of our exhibit lighting to LED technology as funding and manpower allow."

I fully support efforts that maximize conservation. If lighting makes things tough to photograph, buy photos in the gift shop.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:51 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I've never found the lighting at NMUSAF inadequate for photography. I've taken more than acceptable photos with an $80 digital camera. It takes little to no effort to learn how to use the proper settings.

I'm curious as to where specifically the Belle is going to be placed in the hangar. The last time I was at the museum, all of the signage related to the coming exhibit was located in the corner where the B-24 is displayed. Just wondering if the Belle will be placed in that corner and curious as to how other exhibits might be shifted. I'm personally hoping it results in better views of the Bf109.

Here's hoping Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby ends up on public display at NASM/Udvar-Hazy sooner rather than later. It would have been cool to have both SSSB and the Belle on display in Dayton, but somewhat redundant as they both tell the daylight bombing raid story and floor space is already at a premium. The museum will eventually need to make room for the Swoose, the He111, C-39, B-23 and whatever other WWII aircraft they have in storage.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:32 pm 

Someone has started a petition in hopes that the NMUSAF will display Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby outside in the static displays during the Memphis Belle unveiling, rather than keeping her in storage during the event:

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/dis ... phis-belle

I think it's a noble thought, and a nice "changing of the guard" so to speak. When was the last time two 91st BG combat vets were that close together, aside from this morning? Probably 1945/46 in Kingman, AZ methinks. Would be a fitting sendoff before Baby goes into storage for who knows how long.

- Dennis S.
Thornton, CO USA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:39 pm 

I remember the disappointment after getting 35mm film developed from my first trip to Dayton and nothing turned out. A digital camera with the correct shutter speed makes a world of difference. Even the P-61 shows up!