Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

USS Lexington (CV-2) wreck found .. 4 March 2018 [revised]

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:28 am

Posted last night (3/3/18) to the Facebook page for R/V Petrel [Paul Allen's research vessel] ... "The crew is back onboard and we are onsite of our next project, USS Lexington CV-2."

No photos of the wreck have been shared yet, so I suspect they are just starting an AUV sonar search of the battle area to identify likely targets for further investigation. Could be exciting days ahead.

For those with FB accounts, the direct link is here ...

https://www.facebook.com/rvpetrel/posts/1657094307659377
Last edited by Russ Matthews on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Search for USS Lexington (CV-2) wreck underway .. March

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:33 am

Interesting news!! :drink3: :drink3:

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:42 pm

After Robert Ballard located the USS Yorktown I had hoped someone would do the same for the Lex. Very happy to see Paul Allen is searching for her!

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:11 am

Raise the USS Lexington!

Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:28 pm

They found her!

https://www.facebook.com/rvpetrel/video ... 919071621/

:partyman:

Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:35 pm

Holy cow, that's outstanding footage! Was that a Devastator toward the end?

Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:38 pm

really amazing they found her that fast.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:49 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K-V_ah6IIs

Nice footage, look how well preserved that aircraft looks. I love those red dot markings.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:03 pm

now if we can only get the navy to buy off on us salvaging the devastator :roll:

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:08 pm

Pull that TBD up here please. Could build a couple of them from the good bits of the several down there I'd imagine.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:14 pm

Courier Sportster wrote:Pull that TBD up here please. Could build a couple of them from the good bits of the several down there I'd imagine.

...all part of Paul's master plan...

Re: USS Lexington (CV-2) wreck found .. 4 March 2018 [revise

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:15 pm

LOOK AT THAT DEVASTATOR!!!!!

Re: USS Lexington (CV-2) wreck found .. 4 March 2018 [revise

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:34 pm

WOW! The condition of that Devastator at the end is amazing! :shock:

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:53 pm

seabee1526 wrote:
Courier Sportster wrote:Pull that TBD up here please. Could build a couple of them from the good bits of the several down there I'd imagine.

We can all dream, lads. But I noticed the caption said she's more than 3,000 meters down...what's the record for the deepest recovery of artifacts from the ocean's floor?

With that in mind, the condition looks amazing and the mind teems with possibilities!

Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:01 pm

Punisher05 wrote:
seabee1526 wrote:

We can all dream, lads. But I noticed the caption said she's more than 3,000 meters down...what's the record for the deepest recovery of artifacts from the ocean's floor?

With that in mind, the condition looks amazing and the mind teems with possibilities!

Flight data recorders have been recovered deeper then that. Project azorian also comes to mind. Not impossible just very expensive
Post a reply