Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:24 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

TBDude, thanks for the detailed reply to my query on TBD crews some pages back, I really appreciate it - I was mostly unable to check in on WIX for three or four days, and it put me behind by a truly surprising number of pages. I'm still far from caught up. Mind blowing stuff right here on WIX for sure - couldn't ask for a better example of why I kick in a few $ a month (shameless plug for Scott!).

Paul Allen & Petrel crew :rock: !!

Thanks again, buddy, and same to all of you who have been contributing so much to this veritable mother lode of a thread that is definitely one for the books! :drink3:

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:30 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

TBDude wrote:
R/V Petrel has moved on to the Solomon Islands, where they located the wreckage of USS Juneau (CL-52) two days ago (17 March 2018)

https://www.paulallen.com/uss-juneau-wreck-located-famous-for-sullivan-brothers/

In my very first post of this thread I speculated that there "could be exciting days ahead." But, I admit I had no idea how accurate that would prove to be!

What's next? Hornet? Wasp? Where would you go after this?

I want to see the 4 Japanese carriers sunk at Midway and what shape their aircraft are in.

August

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
I want to see the 4 Japanese carriers sunk at Midway and what shape their aircraft are in.

Me too!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:13 pm 

They could spend a very long time seeing what's down below in "Iron Bottom Sound". How many ships were sunk during the many battles for Guadalcanal, American and Japanese? A lot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:58 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mark Allen M wrote:
possibly a radar?

Look closely and you can see a Baritone Horn in the photo

Another piece of the flight deck in the debris field. What is that baseplate for? You can see the wires coming out of it. The crew flying the ROV identified this piece as being in front of the funnels. — at Coral Sea.

Tube boiler or heat exchanger?

The tag from the mount in the previous photo.

What was this cart used for?

this large section of flight deck was in the debris field.

A magazine for an Oerlikon 20mm gun

Tool Box

This is a mount for a 20mm gun. There were some magazines for Oerlikon 20mm close by so it was probably a mount for one of those

An observation looking at these pictures earlier. Notice the large 'slick' around the generator cart, and similar, albeit smaller, one around the 20mm magazine. The aluminum artifacts have survived amazingly intact, the steel more or less so, but the copper windings and brass casings have turned to muck.
The magnesium accessory housings turned to Epsom salts a long time ago, hence all of the engines falling off.
Also means the Euphonium is probably German Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This group of photos shows what is left of the main hull of USS Juneau CL-52.

Aft facing 5" gun director — at South west of San Cristobal Island in the Solomon Islands.

Stbd side 5" gun

The rangefinder on the 5" gun from the previous photo. Notice the diamond screw at the top that operates a wiper for the protective glass.

The Aft funnel was made of Aluminium.

port side 5" gun

Port side propeller

port side 5" gun, torpedo launcher and hull. It certainly appears that at the time of the sinking the hull did not have the camoflage paintjob.

The port side of the ship between the two funnels.

The blast shield on the port side torpedo launcher. The crane davit has fallen onto the blast shield.

Starboard side shaft where the transom was blown off.

Starboard side torpedo launcher

The directions for firing or loading a torpedo?

Close up of the plate. Couldn't quite get close enough to know for sure what it says. Instructions numbered 1 through 5.

Starboard side launcher with 5" gun in the background. You can see the torpedos still in the launcher

The Sullivans

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:58 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I've read Gunner's Mate 2c Allen Heyn's account many times since I was a kid; George Sullivan (far right in the above photo) and many others would probably have made it if there hadn't been a snafu when the survivors were located.

https://www.americanheritage.com/conten ... o-survived

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I must be getting old(er). My toleration for ignorant people is at an all time low. If any of you are foolish enough (like myself) to follow some of the facebook pages regarding what P Allen and the RV Petrel folks are doing, you'll most likely see some real dumb*ss posts from some really clueless and disrespectful people.

Every single photo that I have seen and have posted here in this thread has a very significant, tragic and honorable history associated with it. Not one piece of "scrap metal" you see is not of historic value and most importantly, not held in honor and remembrance of those poor hero's who tragically lost their young lives. If you want to feel the full impact of the USS Juneau photos you are seeing just spend some time reading a few of the books or articles on the history of this tragic loss. If you don't feel a lump in your throat there's something wrong with you. The tragic results of the crew of this ship alone is something that's unimaginable and so very tragic. What the "survivors" who didn't go down with the ship were subject too after the sinking of the Juneau is horrific and heartbreaking.

All these hero's can never ever be forgotten and I hope some of you see them as you look at these photos. I do and they all deserve to be remembered and respected forever.
And I won't hesitate to "call out" any idiot who thinks it's 'witty' or 'funny' to make jokes about what they are seeing in these photos. F*cking scumbags :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:31 pm 

I'll see if I can enhance the "torpedo directions plaque" when I get home using an image editing program.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:00 pm 

Mark Allen M wrote:
I must be getting old(er). My toleration for ignorant people is at an all time low. If any of you are foolish enough (like myself) to follow some of the facebook pages regarding what P Allen and the RV Petrel folks are doing, you'll most likely see some real dumb*ss posts from some really clueless and disrespectful people.

Every single photo that I have seen and have posted here in this thread has a very significant, tragic and honorable history associated with it. Not one piece of "scrap metal" you see is not of historic value and most importantly, not held in honor and remembrance of those poor hero's who tragically lost their young lives. If you want to feel the full impact of the USS Juneau photos you are seeing just spend some time reading a few of the books or articles on the history of this tragic loss. If you don't feel a lump in your throat there's something wrong with you. The tragic results of the crew of this ship alone is something that's unimaginable and so very tragic. What the "survivors" who didn't go down with the ship were subject too after the sinking of the Juneau is horrific and heartbreaking.

All these hero's can never ever be forgotten and I hope some of you see them as you look at these photos. I do and they all deserve to be remembered and respected forever.
And I won't hesitate to "call out" any idiot who thinks it's 'witty' or 'funny' to make jokes about what they are seeing in these photos. F*cking scumbags :evil:

So well written and dead on. Most people today are idiots.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:31 pm 

Thank you Mark, well written. I am horrified by the damage to that ship. What we lost there is utterly indescribable in terms of human potential.
In my opinion, if you can see a scene like this and not think of the people involved, and the sacrifices they made for US, then there is something wrong with you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:16 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Seeing the wreck of the Juneau brings a chill to my spine, because I know almost beyond a doubt that there are still men entombed in those turrets. The destruction of that ship was so horrifically complete, it almost beggars belief. There can never be a question that this is a war grave, and yet, with that said...

If it were somehow possible to find THIS specific hatch - T-117, leading to the crew spaces at C-206-L (if I'm reading it correctly) - and bring it to the surface, this would quite possibly be the most incredible and poignant war memorial ever. It would belong in a place of supreme national honor, displayed with a life sized copy of this exact photo behind it. The Sullivan brothers exemplify the sacrifices of ALL American families and should never be forgotten.

Lynn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:41 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mark Allen M wrote:

Mark, when I brought up this thread today, I was already wanting to thank you again for passing along the FB photos for those of us who cannot or will not "do FB". Your recent post above cemented the deal. You provide an invaluable service to people like me, and I feel a genuine debt of gratitude to you. Thank You Sir. I would sure like to shake your hand and buy you a beer (or martini or Porsche or whatever).

Again, I'm currently in a remote location in west Texas doing volunteer work and have limited computer time/access at this exciting time, so what you do is much more than a mere convenience for some of us.

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:36 pm 

Regarding the torpedo instructions, here's what I was able to pull after altering contrast, embossing raised details, removing moire and noise, etc. I'm not a professional image editor so I'm sure others can do better, but here's the basics, where "*" indicates words that I can't decipher. If the Petrel folks have imagery from another angle or two, more might become apparent with perspective changes.

TORPEDO STOP ******* (I think the last word might be “checklist,” but can’t be sure)

SPEC***
1. *** BACK STOP HOLD
2. LOAD TORPEDO HOME
3. INSERT TENSION ***
4. LOWER BACK STOP
5. FIRE ONLY WHEN BACK STOP

The last line has several words there, I'm sure, but I can't pull them out. However, going wayyyyy out on a limb, conjecture and voodoo from the 'ol Mark I eyeball as much as anything, the last two words may be, "are down." That's just an educated guess, nothing more. Hope this helps.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:08 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Robert61267 wrote:
Regarding the torpedo instructions, here's what I was able to pull after altering contrast, embossing raised details, removing moire and noise, etc. I'm not a professional image editor so I'm sure others can do better, but here's the basics, where "*" indicates words that I can't decipher. If the Petrel folks have imagery from another angle or two, more might become apparent with perspective changes.

TORPEDO STOP ******* (I think the last word might be “checklist,” but can’t be sure)

SPEC***
1. *** BACK STOP HOLD
2. LOAD TORPEDO HOME
3. INSERT TENSION ***
4. LOWER BACK STOP

The last line has several words there, I'm sure, but I can't pull them out. However, going wayyyyy out on a limb, conjecture and voodoo from the 'ol Mark I eyeball as much as anything, the last two words may be, "are down." That's just an educated guess, nothing more. Hope this helps.

Bob

I think I've got a little bit more Bob,
1. RAISE BACK STOP & HOLD
2. LOAD TORPEDO HOME
3. INSERT TENSION LINK
4. LOWER BACK STOP
( & HANDLES ARE DOWN ?)

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next