Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:07 pm 

As the title says, this P-47 is heading back to the UK, eleven years after it left originally. Truly is astonishing to think a P-47 will be back flying over the English countryside! :supz:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:29 pm 

The Ripper wrote:
As the title says, this P-47 is heading back to the UK, eleven years after it left originally. Truly is astonishing to think a P-47 will be back flying over the English countryside! :supz:

Ah man, never got to see her fly in the states. Glad to see her going somewhere to fly rather than sticking up for sale. Hey we in the states have enough, right? Can't wait to see Dottie at Planes of Fame 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:07 am 

GRNDP51 wrote:
The Ripper wrote:

Ah man, never got to see her fly in the states. Glad to see her going somewhere to fly rather than sticking up for sale. Hey we in the states have enough, right? Can't wait to see Dottie at Planes of Fame 8)

I believe her only appearence was at a MAAM WWII Weekend a few years back. I don't think she ever got out much. As much as the UK needs a P-47 (especially at Duxford and one in 78th FG markings to boot) I really wish she would have stayed local to replace the one lost owned by the AAM at Republic a few years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CH2Tdriver wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:
The Ripper wrote:

I believe her only appearence was at a MAAM WWII Weekend a few years back. I don't think she ever got out much. As much as the UK needs a P-47 (especially at Duxford and one in 78th FG markings to boot) I really wish she would have stayed local to replace the one lost owned by the AAM at Republic a few years ago.

My thoughts exactly. I think the only other time I saw her was at the P-47 gathering at Thunder. Hopefully Jackey's Revenge will be restored eventually.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:21 pm 

She will be welcomed with open arms back over here, there's already a lot of excitement on the UK forums about it. Fingers crossed for a P38 (Red Bull), P47 and P51 8th AF Fighter Command tribute formation at some point, perhaps with a Hurri and Spit thrown in for good measure (Eagle squadrons).

We've had all five types airworthy in the UK at the same time before and nobody has yet put that formation together as far as I'm aware.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:37 pm 

LysanderUK wrote:
She will be welcomed with open arms back over here, there's already a lot of excitement on the UK forums about it. Fingers crossed for a P38 (Red Bull), P47 and P51 8th AF Fighter Command tribute formation at some point, perhaps with a Hurri and Spit thrown in for good measure (Eagle squadrons).

We've had all five types airworthy in the UK at the same time before and nobody has yet put that formation together as far as I'm aware.

Well no we haven't had that formation yet but the closest we have had is the spectacular 'Eagle Squadron' display from five years ago nearly. I doubt we would ever get a five ship routine but we've been very lucky to have had some pretty unique formations over the years.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:55 pm 

Now back on the UK register as G-THUN: -

https://siteapps.caa.co.uk/g-info/

:D

Cheers

Paul

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:10 pm 

It's back ............ after 12 years away.

The P-47 flew back into Duxford at the weekend from Sywell Airfield after being re-assembled and re-painted in its new colours as 'Nellie' of the 492nd FS, 48th FG, 9th AF.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:18 pm 
Jump Street

Kudos to the new owner for going with that paint scheme! Loved the No Guts 78th FS version, but nice to see some other squadrons/groups being represented.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:32 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

This past Monday, the 492nd Fighter Squadron, which is based in England at RAF Lakenheath, flying F-15's, held a special heritage and fundraising event, hosting the P-47 "Nellie", which is painted in the markings of the 492nd FS. "Nellie" was also joined by the owner's Spitfire Mk.V: http://www.lakenheath.af.mil/News/Artic ... itage-day/

As with the owner's other warbirds, "Nellie" is to be based between Duxford and Sywell. Since making its first flight (since arriving back in the UK) late last week, it has already been flown quite a bit - with Pete Kinsey, Nick Grace and Stu Goldspink all taking turns at the helm.