Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

p-40k data plate locations

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Does anyone have a picture of the locations of the data plates for a p-40?

I'm about to conduct a dive on a little known p-40k wreck that's never been positively identified and was hoping that just maybe id get lucky and would be able to get a picture of the plate. Its almost completely buried but I'm willing to attempt to do some digging if it helps the cause of finding a better future for the wreck.

a go pro video will be included after the dive :D

Thanks

Evan

Re: p-40k data plate locations

Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:35 am

The constructor's ID plate on the P-40 is located in the aft end of the R/H clear view panel.
See these pis I have 'stolen' from the web...

The constructors number is also stamped into the top longerons, IIRC, but I very much doubt you would be able to find these in an underwater wreck.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:26 pm

Thanks for the info.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:55 am

The Ship number is stamped into the left lower longeron just in front of the armour plate, and as mentioned there are also two plates inside the cockpit on the upper longerons.

The image showing the plate in the starboard cockpit scallop doesn't have the C/N on but has the ship number on. From Curtiss Records this can be back tracked to give you the serial number (there are gaps and they don't always run in Sequence). Plates also exist on the U/C Legs (sometimes), the Engine bearers (sometimes have the numbers stamped on them). Other places maybe behind the Main cockpit rear Armour plate (sometime painted on there) as well as numerous other plates (inside the flap area on the upper wings etc)

Good luck with your search, would love to hear how you went in your search.

Buz

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:15 pm

did you find it evan?
Post a reply