Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:23 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Mark your calendars for 19-20 May!

To many history buffs the Douglas Skyraider is synonymous with the Vietnam War. When South Vietnam fell in April 1975, a mass exodus ensued with pilots looking for any available aircraft to escape the approaching Communists. While many are familiar with the footage of overcrowded carrier decks and helicopters being pushed over the side, less familiar is the story of Thailand being choked with fleeing aircraft.

During the "Warbirds Over Addison" weekend of 19-20 May 2018, the Cavanaugh Flight Museum is pleased to have retired USAF pilot Roger Youngblood as Saturday's guest speaker; Youngblood was one of two pilots tasked to hide escaping South Vietnamese Skyraiders in Thailand. Cavanaugh's AD-6 (A-1H) Skyraider, tail number 139606, was one of four to have been hidden away. Youngblood actually evacuated aircraft '606; his flight is considered the last ever of a Skyraider on official orders. Please join us as he shares his recollection of this chaotic moment in history.

CFM is also excited to announce that '606 will be returning from a fresh repaint to her authentic USAF colors. This project celebrates the 50th anniversary of her arrival in Vietnam with the 6th Special Operations Squadron in Spring 1968 - come out to see her in her new clothes!

Plans include a number of flight displays, food, and, of course, a display of the amazing collection of aircraft, vehicles, and artwork the Museum is known for.

Weather and maintenance permitting, rides will also be available for purchase in a variety of aircraft such as AD-5 (A-1E) Skyraider (5 open seats), P-51 Mustang, FG-1D Corsair, T-6, Stearman, B-25H Mitchell, OH-13D Sioux, and O-2 Skymaster.

For contact/location, details on this event, or info on the ride program, visit the Museum website: cavflight.org

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:25 pm 

Cool, thanks for the heads up! Hope I can make it up from Houston; I dig Skyraiders...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:03 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Excited to announce that the second pilot, Jack Drummond, also plans to speak on Saturday morning. This will likely be a one-time opportunity for them to tell a story that has not been fully told before. Should be a great weekend in Dallas.

Ken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:09 pm 

I had a brief association with 606 twice.

In 1975 I was in Thailand with the RAAF and meet and befriended BGen "Heine" Adaholdt who was head of MACTHAI. We spoke of those four A-1's due to my interest in warbirds. He arranged a trip for me to see them. The following year they were up for disposal as the THais couldn't use them and he offered them up for $20K the lot. As a juniour officer my funds were generally stretched by me bar bill! Heine said he'd let me have one for $5K - still mucho dollars to me. Shipping presented the biggest issue together with costs etc. He said he could arrange to fly it south to an airport on the Thai/Malaysian border area - Hat Yai as the aircraft was still under his jurisdiction and from there I was on my own. I was was based at RAAF Base Butterworth near Penang at the time. Diplomatic issues like flying an unregistered aircraft into a foreign country killed that idea.

Many years later I found her at Chino and out a contract on it and paid a deposit only to be gazumped by someone in I think San Diego,,,but that is another story.

I did have, by the way, a fresh in the can R-3350 Skyraider engine with a tagged prop that we recovered from Vietnam in the early '90's..

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:21 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The date is getting closer. Cavanaugh posted a teaser photo on their Facebook page. I wish Photobucket linking still worked.

Ken

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:36 pm 

The Tennessee Museum of Aviation had a similar event a couple of weeks ago with two of the four Skyraiders (665 & 683) from Thailand and 11 Skyraiders pilots including Mr Youngblood. Mr Youngblood gave a great talk and if you can make the Cavanaugh event do so. It'd be cool to get all three Skyraiders together some day. The Smithsonian has the fourth Skyraider 332 so it's flying days are over.