Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: *WOMEN OF COURAGE* ...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Part 1 of many ...

My mom was one of em ...

Women Airforce Service Pilots 1943
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE0Q40Yzjg0
FIRST FEMALE PILOT to fly US Air Force F-35 Fighter Aircraft
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zALYVbjTnU

(WASP) Betty Jane Bachman

Women Air Force Service pilot Edna Modisette Davis in the cockpit of a Martin B-26 Marauder target tug at Harlingen Army Air Field

And more great women who were the best of the best ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:59 am 

Wow, great pictures, Mark! I've never seen most of those before.

So, you have to tell us all about your mom. What did she fly, where was she based, what did she do, etc.?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Beautiful!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wish I could tell you about mom. Unfortunately she passed away at a relatively young age (50's). :(
What I know is that she was a couple of years too young to become a pilot, so she was in some sort of support role and eventually becoming a GS-12 if I recall (a civilian working for the military type rank) This is another of those sad periods of time in one's life (mine) where being too young to ask questions and too young to care resulted in not really knowing much about her history. I kick myself always for not talking to both my mom and dad about their early days as they both lived and witnessed a tremendous amount of significant history back in the 40's, 50's and beyond. There were very few people on earth who were born in the 20's who didn't partake, and/or witness first hand, some of histories most significant events. Many suffered unimaginable hardships that very few of us would ever be able to comprehend today. I sometimes think about just how horrific it must have been to be a civilian in London and cities in Germany or Japan (among many other countries) and to be exposed to invasions, takeovers from hostile countries and massive bombing and strafing raids. I'm sure the poor civilians in the war-torn countries of today's conflicts can surely relate in one way or another.

Most of us today only witness the world turning by watching it from a black screen sitting on a couch or at a desk. Back then it was much different as people were much more physically active with how the world worked whether it be for better or for worse. You didn't see many over-weight folks for a number of reasons as people had very little time for sitting around much back then. There's times when I envy those 40's era years and how different the world was. What we find as "hero-worshiping" type stuff today was simply a way of life back then and everyone was all-in.

Dad did his part because it was required of him by both himself and his Country and mom did her part for the same reasons. There were no thoughts of being hero's or larger than life icons and if my parents ever chose to discuss the war years they would usually start and end with the same answers, with very little to discuss in between. It was just what you did back then and most everyone followed in the same way. .... We could use some of that today in many ways.

Sorry that I don't have any more interesting history to share about my parents. It just turned out that way as the years passed.

Last edited by Mark Allen M on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:02 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

For all the world that first one of Betty Bachman looks like she is letting someone know what she "really thinks" of the 'Boys only club" :lol:

Tom P.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:18 pm 

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
People seemed to be content,
Fifty dollars paid the rent,
Freaks were in a circus tent.
THOSE WERE THE DAYS!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:25 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Mark Allen M wrote:

Looks like 43-24335; that one had a category 3 landing accident at Luke Field on July 3, 1945, piloted by Sun Ki-Tung (Baugher lists several serials around that number as being sent to China).

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mark. Thanks for sharing the photos and the info about your parents. All very interesting.