Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Looks like there's going to be an AU-1 in 2018? ...

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:54 am

k5083 wrote:I tried to build that Hawk kit, and never decided what version of Corsair they had in mind.

Is it too soon to nit-pick the new paint scheme? It looks like the rear fuselage gray/white demarcation should be less straight and about a foot higher at the wing root.

Going to be a handsome plane though.

August

Never too early to pic-nits about paint in my book!

:lol: pop2

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:38 pm

k5083 wrote:I tried to build that Hawk kit, and never decided what version of Corsair they had in mind.

Is it too soon to nit-pick the new paint scheme? It looks like the rear fuselage gray/white demarcation should be less straight and about a foot higher at the wing root.

Going to be a handsome plane though.

August

Looks like they're using the Hasegawa kit as a base (same BuNO) which has the paint as a straight line.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/123144- ... -1-corsair

Completed Kit (with same straight line and position)-

http://www.hyperscale.com/galleries/200 ... u1rf_6.jpg

To be fair as well, there seems to be a TON of variation on that scheme based on the limited number of AU-1 photos I've seen with that scheme. Some have the line much higher, but several, including the ones in the Detail & Scale book I have, show the demarcation line, while uneven and feathered, dropping to meet the trailing edge of the flaps and then originating from about the center of the leading edge join and moving forward more-or-less parallel with the "bottom line" of the fuselage.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:57 pm

Yeah, I agree there was a lot of variation. It's just that they seem to be doing BuNo 129378 which we have a photo of in post #1, that maybe wasn't located by the owner or paint shop when they started painting. Or maybe they just like the neater look of the lower and straighter line.

August

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:12 pm

It's possible, or he may have other pictures of the airplane showing it with the "tight" line. Dunno. Hasegawa is known for having pretty good products, so I have to think that they had something showing that paint scheme on that BuNo.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Plenty of examples to decide tight lines or not.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:35 pm

Last edited by Mark Allen M on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:55 pm

Wow! Several of those I haven't seen before, especially the Olathe F4U-4s with blue wings. Always wondered about those. Maybe they just didn't have any gull gray and white dope, or didn't want the hassle of re-doping that fabric?

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:20 am

Snake45 wrote:Wow! Several of those I haven't seen before, especially the Olathe F4U-4s with blue wings. Always wondered about those. Maybe they just didn't have any gull gray and white dope, or didn't want the hassle of re-doping that fabric?
I think the Yanks F4U-4 was a former Olathe aircraft.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:03 pm

I’ll take it Lynn did that

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks for those, Mark! 129411 was definitely shot at NAS Glenview; in the head-on image I recognize the railroad trestle on the left and the buildings of the Divine Word Mission on the right. Other shots show an SNJ and some TV-2s with Glenview's "7V" tail code. Do you have the date they were taken?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:26 pm

Does anyone know who's Corsair this is?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Eric Rogers wrote:Does anyone know who's Corsair this is?

The owner is John O'Connor. He is based out of the Chicago area.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:01 pm

kalamazookid wrote:
Eric Rogers wrote:Does anyone know who's Corsair this is?

The owner is John O'Connor. He is based out of the Chicago area.

Thought it might me John, Will go well with the Bearcat.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:08 am

Anticipation...

Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:52 am

So it's still got the -7 chin scoop, then. I can live with that.
Post a reply