Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:19 am 

The sound of the tire coming off I though sounded a lot like the pyro from the airshow. It was quite loud.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dave Hadfield wrote:
That's Warren P and I talking Spitfires...

I thought the pic might make for an interesting caption contest.

Maybe something about you debating whether civilization really does exist north of Minot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:00 pm 

A couple shots of a very wet Yale...
A wet mosquito...

B26K "Special K" headed home.

Skyraiders

Spitfire

Will

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:33 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Oops.... :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:10 pm 

When did the Yale arrive - we were there Tuesday and it was not there in our morning trek around Warbirds.

Really bummed we missed it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sasnak wrote:
Blackbirdfan wrote:

Will

Wonder how long it took them to figure out the oil cooler covers were still in!

Yikes!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:31 pm 

hurricane_yank wrote:
When did the Yale arrive - we were there Tuesday and it was not there in our morning trek around Warbirds.

I did not see it until late in the week, maybe Friday?

I wish Special Kay hung around longer, I never got a shot of her without a big crowd around.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:34 pm 

JohnTerrell wrote:

Mustangs alone there has been at least 20 this year (though perhaps not all at the same time) - "Lope's Hope 3rd", "Tuskegee Airmen", Ed Lindsay's Cavalier, "Moonbeam McSwine", "Old Crow" D-model, "Old Crow" B-model, "Gentleman Jim", "My Sweet Mary Lou", "The Brat III", "Lou IV", "Pecos Bill", "Quick Silver", "Gunfighter", "Lady Alice", "Barbara Jean", "Ain't Misbehavin", "Sierra Sue II" (I think), "Charlotte's Chariot II", "Petie 2nd", CAF "Red Nose", Andrew McKenna's, (some of these came all the way from Florida, Texas and California).

I never did see Sierra Sue, but Boomer made it out on Saturday. Don't think I've ever seen that one before.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:55 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

hurricane_yank wrote:

It arrived Tuesday evening, probably around 7 p.m. I was making my tour through warbirds to get a lot of pics in the evening light with no people around. Here's a photo of it taxying in.

ImageIMG_5457 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/124970884@N02/, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:01 am 

Sasnak wrote:
Blackbirdfan wrote:

Will

Wonder how long it took them to figure out the oil cooler covers were still in!

They took off and didn't come back, so it must have been awhile. They went straight out to the west till I couldn't see them through my 500mm lens.

Will

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:00 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Pogo wrote:
marine air wrote:
2) Did anyone else notice the polished metal prototype North American NA-64 Yale (BT-14)? NX13397. Two brothers brought it to Oshkosh. They found it stored in a barn for almost 40 years, a year and a half ago and it is back up flying. It's a beauty with lots and lots of original 1940 NAA aluminum. Few scratches on the wheel fairings but they are original. They said it has a wicked stall, particularly with flaps down. the gear is a foot narrower than a T-6. The wing has a swept leading edge and the trailing edge makes a straight line to the fuselage which was changed with the T-6's. The wing shape actually reminded me of the shape of a PT-22 wing for some reason. It still had french writing on the rudder pedals and elsewhere in the cockpit. Lots of cool original items. The guy that restored it in the 1970's flew it 20 hours and parked it. Interesting story how they found it.

That would be this one?

Image from kalamazookid's wonderful string of photos posted on page 15 of this thread.

From Geoff Goodall:
Attachment:
n13397.jpg
n13397.jpg [ 115.72 KiB | Viewed 1032 times ]

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:58 pm 

kalamazookid wrote:
hurricane_yank wrote:

It arrived Tuesday evening, probably around 7 p.m. I was making my tour through warbirds to get a lot of pics in the evening light with no people around. Here's a photo of it taxying in.

ImageIMG_5457 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/124970884@N02/, on Flickr

Bummer - we left around 6 PM.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:03 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The theme of this photo post is Oshkosh 2018 Makeovers. There were quite a few nice repaints in the warbird area this year!

We all know about the C-47 Hairless Joe. I didn't get to see the new Air Commando scheme at OSH, because Joe was doing something off-site the day I was on-site. But I was happy to learn that Hairless Joe is the Yankee Air Museum C-47, which I get to see every few years and can expect to see again. Here she is a couple of years ago, and borrowing a pic from earlier in the thread for the "after" photo.

While we're on C-47s, earlier I posted a photo of the nicely refurbished N472AF. I hadn't seen this one before, so this time I have to borrow the "before" shot, this time from airport-data.com.

Then there was "Spooky," which I felt should have gotten more attention. Spooky showed up at Oshkosh proudly wearing new paint donated by Sherwin-Williams. I've commended my friends at S-W for the worthy donation. This time I can supply both "before" and "after" photos, from a couple of years ago and last week.

Of course there was the F4U-7 "Alberta Blue," now a pretend but attractive AU-1:

But my favorite repaint was Skyraider 139606, which I've been watching for 30 years, since Dave Price owned it in California. This is a historic AD-6, with extensive U.S. Navy, USAF, and South Vietnamese service and combat histories. Price had it painted dark blue in the 1980s. Then it went into pretty decent gray VA-165 markings in the 1990s. Later, partial VA-176 markings were slapped over the VA-165 ones, and it continued in this ghastly combination for quite a few years. Finally, the Cavanaugh museum acquired the plane and researched and reproduced her exact USAF markings from Vietnam, as "Wiley Coyote." She looks magnificent now. Here are all four looks of the airplane.

And then finally Paul K's Sabre, which has been painted as Jabara's airplane for a few years, but I don't care, I got a few good pics of it so I'm posting them.

August

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

k5083 wrote:

Then there was "Spooky," which I felt should have gotten more attention...

August

Evidence suggests EAA/WOA went out of their way to give "Spooky" plenty of attention...primo parking space for the week...Saturday morning presentation aircraft at "Warbirds in Review"...what are we missing, August?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:40 pm 

k5083 wrote:
The theme of this photo post is Oshkosh 2018 Makeovers. There were quite a few nice repaints in the warbird area this year!

And then finally Paul K's Sabre, which has been painted as Jabara's airplane for a few years, but I don't care, I got a few good pics of it so I'm posting them.

August

Here's a few from when she was at the Tennessee Museum of Aviation in Sevierville:

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/donate.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 25  Next