Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Jim Slattery SB2C-1a status/future

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:46 pm

I would like to know what has happened as well. As far as the reference to the Helldiver as a "past" project that can only mean two things:

1) It is completed and has flown and was delivered to the customer or wherever he wanted the airplane kept.

2) The project was not finished and has been put on hold and/or abandoned.

I don't know which of these two options it is. I would be willing to bet that all of this has to do with Slattery's financial troubles with the Federal government. Ever since his troubles started, both the P-38 and SBD were mired in secrecy for both their final completions and their first flights. In fact, both first flights of the aircraft were not even really publically announced or recognized in any major publications, and both aircraft have been kept out of the "limelight". For two such extremely rare aircraft, that is not something that would normally happen, given that Slattery has supported many public airshows and events with his other aircraft in the past.

Just my guess, but if I were a "betting man", I would bet that Slattery is trying to keep his collection very "low key" and out of the public scrutiny because he doesn't want to draw any unnecessary attention to his wealth, given that he owes or owed the U.S. government a whole lot of money.

Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:22 pm

Any news on what happened with the Helldiver?

Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:53 pm

Posted at Westpac facebook in April:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:40 pm

THanks, Dan!

Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:41 am

OD/NG wrote:I don't know which of these two options it is. I would be willing to bet that all of this has to do with Slattery's financial troubles with the Federal government.

Just my guess, but if I were a "betting man", I would bet that Slattery is trying to keep his collection very "low key" and out of the public scrutiny because he doesn't want to draw any unnecessary attention to his wealth, given that he owes or owed the U.S. government a whole lot of money.

He also took Wall St for a good chunk of change, he's probably trying to avoid the various banks & corporations coming after him.
Post a reply