Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:36 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

You know, that sounds pretty good to me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:46 am 

A good pilot? Some one born to be such, and to be a top pilot such an entity needs no training at all, they have the feel for it.
Thousands of birds do it every day. And some humans can come close to the same (most need the training though).
You can't be fear full of unusual attitudes, be able to think far ahead, its like driving on an icy road, some times the aircraft goes where it wants to and you don't want to over fight it, having a cool head, to think fast under high stress conditions. Being a technical person helps a lot, understanding winds around mountains, and weather is very important. Just had to add my thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:24 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I originally posted this topic. I had flown co-pilot on a Falcon 900 from Chicago to middle Tennessee one morning and was at the local grocery store about 0900. A friend, CFI and butcher was on break sitting outside and I stopped to say good morning. He asked if I was on my way to the airport to go to work and I mentioned that I was done for the day. Without thinking i said , "That Falcon just amazes me sometimes. We were at FL 280' going Mach .85 and a groundspeed of 605 knots. First time to get jetlag from a flight that was under an hour. (55 minutes)". Sometimes an airplane will amaze me and it was just a verbalization of a thought.
So then he proceeded to tell me who he thought were the three best pilots on the local airport and what their immeasurable talents were. I said "okay" and went about my business. It made me think abut what my definition would've been at each point of my flying career , say age 20, 30, 40 and 50. It has changed dramatically over the years.
Was just curious what you guys thoughts were on the matter.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:22 pm 

You just hit on my favorite new subject, Falcons.

I've been flying since 1960 and have had the good fortune of flying a lot of different airplanes. It has only been in the last
few years that I crossed paths with Falcons. I used to think Boeings were the top of the line and they certainly are up there, but not alone.

I am involved with the Vintage Examiner program and have been working in 10's and 20 retrofits. I have flown right seat some for a friend in the 50EX.

If it gets any better I won't be able to stand it. I am going to get rid of my Captain hat and start wearing a Beret. :supz: