Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:30 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I like Kiwizacs list, especially the Stuka and He-162.

A run of several Stukas could sell, and would be VERY welcome be folks worldwide.

He-162- agree a composite shell with the lines of the original would be the way to go. Given all the rich guys flying ex- Czec. trainers seems there could be a market.

I will add:

-A6M Zero. I think a run of @6 would sell.

- More early jets, with a modern, efficient and safe engine replacement (like done for the me-262). I vote P-80 (shortened T-33 easiest path) and Panther.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:09 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Looking at the "cool factor" at air shows, a full-scale, accurate, replica Stuka would be mighty hard to beat. Seeing some of the superb restorations and recreations that have been completed lately, I would think the world's talented pool of Warbird shops could produce a replica Stuka relatively easily.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:17 pm 

K5DH wrote:
Looking at the "cool factor" at air shows, a full-scale, accurate, replica Stuka would be mighty hard to beat. Seeing some of the superb restorations and recreations that have been completed lately, I would think the world's talented pool of Warbird shops could produce a replica Stuka relatively easily.

A flyable Stuka replica would be number one on my list to reproduce as well. The problem with Stuka's is that the engineering blueprints don't exist, or more accurately, didn't survive the war. The reason we haven't see a flying Stuka yet is that it will be an exceedingly complex aircraft to reproduce without engineering data. What that means is that it has to be reverse engineered from existing airframes. As we all know, that is not so easily accomplished. There are only two complete Stukas around with a smattering of hulks, recoveries and fragments surviving as well. Even Paul Allen, with the unlimited resources he has, is not having an easy time with it. There is a reason that Allen had the Chicago Stuka 3D laser scanned - because it is exceedingly hard to restore or reproduce a flyable example out of one that is not complete and has a lot of parts missing. Also, something that went kind of under the radar, is the fact that FHCAM is offering substantial amounts of money for engineering blueprints for the Stuka. If I remember correctly, they are offering something like $50,000 for the drawings.

I've heard that the FHCAM Stuka has a long ways to go and it will be some years before we see it fly. As soon as they do complete it to airworthy, that means they will have essentially reversed engineered it enough to replicate it. Once that happens, it will open the door to facilitate the process of unlimited Stuka reproduction. BUT, I don't think that FHCAM will ever release that data. To do so, would mean their Stuka would no longer be the only flyable example in the world. It would dilute the value of that airframe and they would lose exclusive bragging rights.

So, unfortunately, I think the Paul Allen example will likely be the only example of a flyable Stuka any of us will ever get to see, barring discovery of complete blueprints somewhere or a very complete example is recovered from somewhere in Europe.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:04 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

like ag pilot a P-66, would have done one, but there's this little thing called money :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:36 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Like the idea of the Stuka of course, but a P-43 or P-66 would be cool. Both were used by the Chinese so there are probably some cool paint schemes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:27 am 

If it has not already been mentioned it would be great to see some one reproduce a CAC CA-15.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/imag ... CtnKs5Jy3A

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:33 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Macchi C.202 with Allison engine. Or even a C.200 with 1830.

-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:27 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

This is tough for me.
1) build another Hughes H-1 replica.
2) A real or replica Focke Wulf FW-189 would be sublime. A fantastic design
3) a few of those open cockpit Japanese fighters used at beginning of wR.
4) A dozen Brewster Buffalos, metal or wood I don’t care. Engines are plentiful.
5) The world needs a flyable polished metal P-43 Lancer
6) a few more Mosquitoes.
7) build or rebuild a few Timm N2T Tutors. Supposedly th best performance of the WW II trainers. Would love to get checked out in one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:41 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thought of another good one. The Temco T-35 Buckaroo. The Blueprints and manufacturing rights are owned by the Swift museum in Athens, Tennessee. Now that Charlie Nelson has passed away maybe someone could build up a dozen or so.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:02 pm 

marine air wrote:
This is tough for me.
2) A real or replica Focke Wulf FW-189 would be sublime. A fantastic design
3) a few of those open cockpit Japanese fighters used at beginning of wR.
4) A dozen Brewster Buffalos, metal or wood I don’t care. Engines are plentiful.
5) The world needs a flyable polished metal P-43 Lancer
6) a few more Mosquitoes.
7) build or rebuild a few Timm N2T Tutors. Supposedly th best performance of the WW II trainers. Would love to get checked out in one.

2) Paul Allen has the world's only FW-189 and it is being restored to flying condition. Ever since he bought it, however, it has dropped off the radar and no one has said anything about whether it is being worked on or not. I suspect one day it will surprise us all and arrive upon the scene out of nowhere like the IL-2 did.

4) I would like to see some Buffalos flying as well. With a complete example in existence, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to reverse engineer one. I wonder if the blueprints still exist?

6) There are at least 4, maybe 5 more Mosquitos being built to airworthy condition. Your wish will come true here!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:20 pm 

While we are dreaming about seeing some obscure types fly again, I would really appreciate seeing a fly-past in formation of:

1 Boulton-Paul Defiant
2 Vickers Wellington
3 Fairey Battle
4 Handley Page Hampden
5 Handley Page Halifax
6 Short Stirling
7 Armstrong Whitworth Whitley

Not an impossible list - given enough funding and commitment.

Now - where's the rest of that stuff I've been smoking?

Johnny's Mother : "Don't be silly Dear - you can't do both!"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:43 pm 

Put me down for a Loening XSL-1.....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:29 pm 

Quote:
Put me down for a Loening XSL-1.....

An admirable choice Sir - but would you need to build the submarine to go with it?

Would make it look more authentic I suppose.

Johnny's Mother : "Don't be silly Dear - you can't do both!"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:13 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Curtiss P-40Q.
Only 2~3 ever made, one made it to the civilian market but was crashed at the Cleveland Air Races.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:31 pm 
KiwiZac

Warbird Kid wrote:
OS2U-1 Kingfisher

There's one or two coming from New Zealand :drink3:

kalamazookid wrote:
Some of the new replicas don't appear to be flown much, if at all. (...) the Potez 63-11 in Texas come to mind.

I think I read in a recent Classic Wings that it's an insurance issue.

marine air wrote:

Amen. I've spent a lot of time researching the real one and Jim Wright's one for a couple of models and the more I read, the more impressed and inspired I am by what he and his team achieved. I truly wish I'd been able to see him fly.

Lon Moer wrote:
Curtiss P-40Q.

YES. I love P-40s, and I love the Q. Would be amazing to see even a static exzample.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next