Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:53 pm 

I say the F6-f Hellcat should be the next warbird reproduce. The Flug Werks (corrected, thanks again ! WB Kid ! :D ) 190s ( BUTCHER BIRDS !!!! :twisted: Just HAD to Call them THAT ! :twisted: :lol: I Know ! it's taboo to call them that , but what the Hay !... I've heard worst !! ) were cool ..... But the HellKitty is a Rare Bird !! OR Cat (? :? )

Last edited by Triplane102 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:04 pm 
KiwiZac

I've daydreamed about a few more Luftwaffe machines that would be neat to see fly, although with varying degrees of complexity and expense!:
- Stuka. Many are waiting for the FHCAM restoration to emerge, but I honestly think there could be a market for maybe half a dozen replica flyers. I guess engines would kill this. Maybe an Erickson Buchon-style Allison installation?
- Henschel Hs123. A tidy little radial biplane with combat history that would have real character at an air show
- Heinkel He162. I mean just look at it! And modern construction techniques and experienced warbird pilots would hopefully prevent any issues like the real deal experienced in wartime
- Arado Ar234. Real pie-in-the-sky/if-I-won-the-lottery stuff maybe but it would be pretty neat

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:09 pm 

VERY Cool Zac !! What the Heck ! How'bout a Fw 200 CONDOR !! :supz: What ? 3350s ? or 2800CBs ? geek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

FW-190? I mean we at least have some Flug Werks out there.

I second a Buchon/Allison firewall forward installation package for 109s out there
JU-87 Stuka (Allison V-1710)
Ki-61 Tony (Allison V-1710)
ME-110 (Allison V-1710)
Ki-27 (with R-985)
Yokosuka K5Y Willow (with R-985)
OS2U-1 Kingfisher
XF5F Skyrocket
F2A Buffalo
P-35

Total fantasy land:
B-24
B-26
A-20

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:52 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

If I ever win the lottery (guess I'd have to play it first), I'm building a line of P-6 Hawks. Next to the Spitfire V, I think the P-6E is the most aesthetically perfect aircraft ever produced. Even with the obvious construction hurdles to overcome, I think the biggest challenge would be sourcing an engine. I can't imagine there are too many Curtiss V-1570s laying around. I don't have extensive enough knowledge of powerplants to suggest an adequate replacement in terms of size and performance. It's a pipe dream, but I'll continue holding out hope that someone will be able to produce one someday.

In somewhat related news, it appears Tim O'Connor and Golden Age Aeroplane Works is making good progress on the P-26 replicas:

http://www.peashooter.net/index.php?con ... 2&maxx=265

Latest news: http://www.peashooter.net/index.php?content=news

It's interesting that the FlugWerk and Yak lines are the only recent productions of replicas that has seemed to gain any sort of traction from a customer standpoint. I hear a lot more news related to these aircraft and see more demand for them than the Me-262s or Ki-43s. Did the final 262 ever get completed? The only Ki-43 I'm aware of that was finished is Jack Erickson's example based in Madras. Were any others completed?

Some of the new replicas don't appear to be flown much, if at all. The Mayocraft P-26 now at Virginia Beach and the Potez 63-11 in Texas come to mind. Given the less than ideal flight characteristics and maintenance issues associated with the original designs of some of the suggested aircraft, I would think a lot of replicas would end up with similar fates. At that point, why not just buy a better flying airplane that is easier to maintain and already exists?

These types of discussions are always fun, but I'm always skeptical that there would be a market for replicas of the more obscure types.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:24 pm 

For me, I would love to have a Bearcat! A Hellcat would nice too.

A P-66 would be welcome too.

Last edited by AG pilot on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:25 pm 

TBD! I can't believe somebody hasn't put some serious effort into building at least one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:56 pm 

While we're fantasizing:
B-36
XF-12 Rainbow
Do 335
Short Stirling
Hawker Typhoon
Westland Whirlwind
Curtiss SC-1
OS2U
P-43
and the awesome Republic XP-72

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:16 pm 

Boeing 314. Remember they carried President Roosevelt, and Churchill actually flew one for a bit.
Of course I know that it will never happen- if only because it could only operate from water- but it's a very significant aircraft by any standard. Call it a C-79 if you want.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:19 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

And one other extinct WWII Navy type: Curtiss SOC.
Of course I'd love to see a Martin B-10 as well; should be doable like the Potez was.

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:48 pm 

Napier Saber powered Hawker Typhoon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:11 am 

mdwflyer wrote:
Napier Saber powered Hawker Typhoon

At least two projects now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:12 am 

CG4a
GAL Hotspur Mk III
and just because it'll be difficult getting a powerful enough tug a GAL Hamilcar Mk X

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:28 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I know it's come up before, but my money would go towards short serial production of Pzl P.24 / IAR 80/81.
Fairly simple aircraft (as such things go) with reportedly delightful handling characteristics that share common fuselage jigs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:27 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I like Kiwizacs list, especially the Stuka and He-162.

A run of several Stukas could sell, and would be VERY welcome be folks worldwide.

He-162- agree a composite shell with the lines of the original would be the way to go. Given all the rich guys flying ex- Czec. trainers seems there could be a market.

I will add:

-A6M Zero. I think a run of @6 would sell.

- More early jets, with a modern, efficient and safe engine replacement (like done for the me-262). I vote P-80 (shortened T-33 easiest path) and Panther.