Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Defeathered Eagles... Luftwaffe aircraft wrecks

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:32 am

This thread will be devoted to wrecks of the Luftwaffe. The initial pics brought to you by the Luftwaffe Resource Center

Re: Defeathered Eagles... Luftaffe aircraft wrecks

Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:11 am

1940, German aircraft wreckage piled up at a reclamation yard in Oxford, England, the chimneys in the background of the first photo are of the Morris cars factory, now in the present day, the BMW Mini factory

I probably have bits off one of the He 111 bombers that ended up here that my Dad as a kid 'collected' when it crashed near where he lived west of London

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:50 pm

hindsight - think of the value of those motors even wrecked - today! Back then they were probably just glad to get rid of that enemy junk!

Tom P.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:05 pm

Anyone ever figure out what captured B-17 that could be? You can see some painted over numbers on the tail. I found this vid showing captured B-17's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSXzOv5vtQ8

One of the commenters also posted this:

dhy5342
1 year ago
At 0:40 you claim a captured B-17 was nicknamed Kampfgeschwader 200. That is an incorrect statement; all of the captured aircraft were delivered to a single unit for evaluation That unit's name was Kampfgeschwader 200 (KG 200). I don't know if you actually got the photographs from the sources you cited but they are the same photos that appear in Squadron/Signal Publications Inc. "Strangers in a Strange Land, Vol. 1: U.S. Aircraft in German Hands during WW II" This book covers not only the B-17's but also B-24's, P-51's, P-47's and various British Spitfires, Hurricanes and Mosquitoes that were captured. All of these planes were used to evaluate tactics to use against them and none of them were flown in combat although there were some reports of planes with spurious markings shadowing Allied formations. Several of these planes were discovered by Allied pilots and were destroyed by them, as were any Allied plane found on the ground in enemy territory. During the war, thousands of Allied planes crashed or otherwise found themselves in enemy hands. Those planes that were too damaged to be of any use were simply scrapped, melted down and the aluminum used to build German aircraft.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:56 pm

We know it's a late B-17 judging by the Cheyenne turret.

IRONY ALERT: Wrecked German aircraft in the shadow of the Oxford Morris factory....now owned by BMW.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:28 am

JohnB wrote:
IRONY ALERT: Wrecked German aircraft in the shadow of the Oxford Morris factory....now owned by BMW.

I'm glad somebody picked up on it

Re: Defeathered Eagles... Luftwaffe aircraft wrecks

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:03 pm

Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:07 pm

CoastieJohn wrote:Anyone ever figure out what captured B-17 that could be? You can see some painted over numbers on the tail.

Looks like 43-37XXX; anyone have a full list of KG200 serials?

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:28 pm

Chris Brame wrote:
CoastieJohn wrote:Anyone ever figure out what captured B-17 that could be? You can see some painted over numbers on the tail.

Looks like 43-37XXX; anyone have a full list of KG200 serials?

From captured b-17's http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b17_22.html

The likely candidate due to its demise fits with the photo?

43-38017 (349th BS, 100th BG) damaged by enemy fire during mission to Berlin and crashlanded Schwelsig Airfield Mar 3, 1944.
The crew mistakenly thought they had reached Sweden. 10 POW. MACR 3025.
Aircraft salvaged by Luftwaffe and operated by KG200, perhaps as A3+GE. Destroyed at Jagel by P-51s

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:27 am

Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:45 pm

Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:00 am

Here are some from my great uncle George Soltis when he was rolling through Europe with Patton's army.

Post a reply