Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:16 pm 

News this week is that ex RAAF P-3C Orion A9-753 is set to become a flyer under HARS care. See more at https://www.facebook.com/hars.gen/posts/891961857629281

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:44 pm 

I know the perfect paint scheme....even if I am just a little biased.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:55 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

That's gonna take some deep pockets!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:18 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

That is cool! I agree that it will take deep pockets. I wish that the Air show market would support the MAAM Neptune more! It would be cool to have that plane do a lot more flying.

Tom P.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:15 pm 

HARS seems to be becoming a serious force in aircraft preservation ... long may it continue :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:05 pm 
KiwiZac

Frustratingly I can't access the post!! But thanks Phil for sharing it here and elsewhere so that folks outside Aussie can learn about this very exciting project!

I must confess to having thought about this possibility when they announced they'd get one...

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:40 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Nice!

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

wendovertom wrote:
That is cool! I agree that it will take deep pockets. I wish that the Air show market would support the MAAM Neptune more! It would be cool to have that plane do a lot more flying.

Tom P.

I believe the market is capable of supporting a flyable authentic Neptune. I mean, look at how well the C-123 "Thunder Pig" does with the right kind of promotion. I feel the problem may lie with MAAM's staff and their priorities. From what I've read they restored both the R4D and Neptune to award winning quality, flew them for a few years, then parked them at Reading, and left them outside to the elements. Apparently they are now both at the point where they would require a complete overhaul back to flying status. Can anyone confirm this?

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:44 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I saw it two years ago. It looked pretty sad, a birds heaven.

Phil

Last edited by phil65 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:54 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Neptunes are huge and complicated. Hard to imagine flying one as a fun way to blow millions. I'm skeptical about the P-3 being operated as a hobby.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:02 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

marine air wrote:
I'm skeptical about the P-3 being operated as a hobby.

HARS seem to be okay so far, presently operating the world's only currently airworthy Connie, Catalina, a Neptune, DC-3, Caribou and DH Dover amongst others. Presumably they are very well funded

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:35 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I wish them well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:56 pm 

wingmanjim wrote:
Warbird Kid wrote:
wendovertom wrote:

Tom P.

I believe the market is capable of supporting a flyable authentic Neptune. I mean, look at how well the C-123 "Thunder Pig" does with the right kind of promotion. I feel the problem may lie with MAAM's staff and their priorities. From what I've read they restored both the R4D and Neptune to award winning quality, flew them for a few years, then parked them at Reading, and left them outside to the elements. Apparently they are now both at the point where they would require a complete overhaul back to flying status. Can anyone confirm this?

I can tell you that from a brief visual inspection, both would require significant work to be flyable - a complete top to bottom refurb seems very likely necessary, although I'm certainly not qualified to state that with certainty.

My impression has been that the P61 project has pretty much absorbed all their operating capital for many years. Much as I'd like to see the Widow fly again, the other edge of the sword is that MAAM has a very large collection of vintage aircraft stored that AFAIK they have no intention of restoring ( or at least no funding to do so ). I would think selling off some of that inventory would raise funds for the organization and ultimately make other rare types available for restoration and public display and/or flying. JMHO, though.

MAAM had two Neptunes and sold one off. I had the fortune of getting to fly in the MAAM Neptune years ago and it's an amazing aircraft. Also had a Beaver that was beautiful that was also sold off. They have a new hanger coming along shortly which should allow some of the A/C on the ramp to come inside and get the needed attention. No deep pockets associated with MAAM, it's really a grass roots operation so unfortunately, priorities need to be selected. The P-61 should prove to be popular on the airshow circuit, once completed, and then attention can be focused back on the remaining collection.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:22 pm 
KiwiZac

HARS has made another post which seems to have, thankfully, stuck around (copied here for non-Facebook folk):
Quote:
AP-3C Orion Handover to HARS

HISTORICAL AIRCRAFT RESTORATION SOCIETY Inc

Media Release
CHIEF OF AIR FORCE, AIR MARSHAL LEO DAVIES
AP-3C ORION

The Chief of Air Force Air Marshall Leo Davies AO CSC, will be holding a special handover function at the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society facility, Illawarra Regional Airport, at 11 am Friday 3rd November following the RAAFAIR Australian Department of Defence’s recommendation to the United States State Department to release for historic flying operations one of the RAAF AP3C Lockheed Orion surveillance aircraft.

This is a very historic event recognising the role the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) has played in saving our aviation heritage, in particular the RAAF aircraft that have served Australia since WWII. In fact HARS has over 20 former RAAF aircraft in its collection, many of those have been restored to flying and it is intended now that the transfer of ownership of the Orion has been approved, to also fly that aircraft in support of RAAF history.

The Orion replaced the Lockheed Neptune aircraft that had served with the RAAF from the late 40’s up to 1977. The new P-8A Poseidon aircraft is now progressively replacing the Orion aircraft in RAAF service which is expected to take place over the next few years. HARS not only operates and has a number of former RAAF Neptune aircraft (serial number 273 flying, and on public display 281 and now at our Parkes museum satellite 272). We also operate a Catalina flying boat which the Neptune replaced following WWII operations.

Media and the public are cordially invited to be with the Chief of Air Force making this presentation at 11 am on Friday 3rd November. No RSVP is required and there will be opportunity for the media and the members of the public to talk to the Chief of Air Force on the significance of this event and the very important role that the Air Force plays in Australian security.

The HARS AP-3C Orion has itself participated in overseas operations as well as searching for the lost MH370 airliner and many other very important security and historical events and the history of this aircraft will eventually be disclosed and showcased with it at our HARS facility.

They followed up with this:
Quote:
The acquisition of an AP-3C by HARS is a really big thing. This requires specific approval by the United States Government.

Until the handover, it is still the property of the Defence Department and despite the fact it has been sitting on the tarmac at HARS for these few months, we have not had access to the aircraft - as it should be - and even though it has had the appropriate equipment removed.
Yes we are excited - as are the people here who have operated this aircraft in one of their previous lives.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22