Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:39 am 

http://videos.komando.com/watch/8095/ki ... pilot-ever

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:49 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Fascinating stuff,

That looks to be a young Hermann Göring at 3:04

PeterA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:03 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Is there an research on who might be the captured English (?) pilot late in the video?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:01 pm 

Yes that's definitely Goering I think

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:59 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Very interesting and I agree, guy does appear to be Goring.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:17 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Interesting. The plane is F.1 102/17, one of the three pre-production Dr.Is. MvR flew it only very briefly, then returned to his Albatros until the real Dr.Is came out. The lack of axe-handle wing skids is one of the easy ID features.

August

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:52 pm 

old iron wrote:
Is there an research on who might be the captured English (?) pilot late in the video?

Lt Algernon Frederick Bird of 46 Squadron, RFC, he was Richthofen's 61st victory, flying a Sopwith Pup B1795, shot down on 3rd Sept 1917.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:59 pm 

PeterA wrote:
Fascinating stuff,

That looks to be a young Hermann Göring at 3:04

That was my original thought, but if it is, that clip was not part of the original film and added later.

The film is claimed to be been shot by Anthony Fokker in Sept 1917, and if all of it was, then it's unlkely to be Goering, as he was still serving with Jasta 27 at the time, and wasn't awarded his Pour Le Merite until June 1918, and didn't join the Richthofen Circus until the following month in July 1918....several months after Von Richtofen's death.

I do wonder though if at 2.16 in the film that is Werner Voss on the far right of frame.....does look like it could be?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:01 pm 

k5083 wrote:
Interesting. The plane is F.1 102/17, one of the three pre-production Dr.Is. MvR flew it only very briefly, then returned to his Albatros until the real Dr.Is came out. The lack of axe-handle wing skids is one of the easy ID features.

Werner Voss's F.1 was 103/17, in which he was killed about 3 weeks after this was filmed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:51 pm 

I found a message board that offers some more info on Bird, including posts from his son. http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forum ... -opponent/

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/donate.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:50 pm 

I found the film elsewhere and I do believe it is Goering, about 95% sure the man on the far right who looks at the camera as the scene fades is Ernst Udet.

Super cool

G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A quote from G R Morrison

"This YewToob clip is made from some segments of Anthony Fokker's home movies.

von Richthofen and Fokker FI 102/17. Even though it’s the late summer of 1917, a pilot must bundle-up before flight. After climbing into his "Fliegerhosen," at 1:48 von Richthofen removes his hat, and we can observe the over-the-head bandage strap still being worn after his wounding on 6.July 1917.

von Richthofen speaks to Jasta 11

At the 3:05 mark, Goering & Loerzer are seen briefly.

Strapped-in, priming the Oberursel UR.II rotary engine with a quick squirt of fuel, then take-off of FI 102/17

4:44 - Sopwith Pup B1795 “Z” of 46 Squadron, Lt. A. F. Bird, shot down 3.Sept. 1917 by von Richthofen and captured. Toni Fokker, wearing a flying helmet and goggles enthusiastically points out the bullet strikes

5:09 - Lt. Algernon Bird poses with von Richthofen

Hope this helps, GRM"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:27 am 

This account by courtesy of Lt. Bird's son.

Down from the loft now. Herewith my father's account of the events of 3rd September 1917:
"A Flight of No 46 Squadron of which I was a member had received orders to carry out the first Offensive Patrol on the morning of September 3rd 1917.
In accordance with instructions the flight took off shortly after 6AM and having attained a height of about 14,000 feet proceeded over the lines to a point about 10 miles on the German side and commenced the patrol. normally on these occasions we were treated to a liberal dose of Archie but on the morning in question everything appeared more than usually calm - an ominous calm as it proved.
As far as my recollection goes we had covered our allotted beat once and had just turned to repeat the process when an enemy machine was seen some way below us and a flight commander indicated his intention of diving. I followed suit and by this time another enemy machine having appeared proceeded to attack him. It then became clear that we were involved in a scrap with a large number of the enemy. While chasing my particular opponent OI took a glance over my shoulder to find myself being followed by two triplanes which I at once took to belong to an R.N.A.S. squadron with whom we occasionally cooperated. The next thing that I knew was that Iwas under a fusillade from machine guns at very close quarters; my engine cut out and I got one under my right arm wich momentarily knocked me out. On recovering I found that I had got to do all I knew if I was to stand a chance of reaching our lines. The two enemy triplanes were making wonderful ahooting practice at me and my machine was being hit times without number, the splinters flying from the two small struts just in front of the cockpit, and from the instrument board. It was impossible to fly straight for more than a few moments at a time before they got their guns on me and my progress wotards our lines was very slow compared with the height I was losing for my engine was a passenger only.
It began to be quite obvious that I should not succeed in regaining our lines as I was now within a few hundred feet of the ground and, looking for a place to put my machine down I found a field in which a German fatigue party were digging trenches. In this I eventually landed hitting I believe a tree in the process: all the while my assailants had kept up a heavy fire whenever they coyld get their guns on me.
Upon my machine coming to rest it looked as if the trench digging party were going to finish the work that their airmen had begun but fortunately for me an officer drove up in a horse and cart and took charge, taking me to the HQ of a K.B. section where I was searched, my flying kit removed and my wound dressed. This later proved to be very slight"
There is no full stop at the end of the last sentence so I conclude that my father never got around to completing what he had to say. Frustrating, to say the least.
As to his previous service history I have the following original documents in my possession:
T.1. (A) appointing him as 2nd Lieutenant into the 5th Batallion The Norfolk Regiment on 16th May 1915 (3 days after his 19th birthday)
Signalling Certificate certifying that 2nd Lt A.F. Bird, 2/5th Batt Norfolk Regt had passed classification tests on Semaphore, Lamp and Buzzer and had also passed in Map reading, Telephones and signal office and despatch riding. Issued at Euston, Thetford (Norfolk) by Maj Chales W Blackwell, O.C. 69th (E.A.) Divl Signal Co. R.E. Dated 7th Feb 1916.
Certificate of qualification as 2nd Class Instructor of Signalling from the School of Signalling in Cambridge. Dated 9th June 1916. His detachment is given as 2/5th Norfolk Regiment.
Temporary pass to Military Zone, Aboukir dated from 19th April 1917 to 18th May 1917. Regiment given as 5th Norfolks. Signed by Lt Col Wilfred H Beak. Comlete with photo ID.
Graduation Certificate No 4861 From the Central Flying School, Upavon, Wilts dated 12th May 1917 to certify that Lt A.F. Bird of the 2/5th Bn Norfolk Regiment had completed a course at the Central Flying School and was qualified for service in the Royal Flying Corps. Signed by Lt Col A.C. MacLean, commandant.
Photograph of four men in uniform, one of whom is clearly my father, taken by a shed with what looks like a sustantial house in the background. On the back is written in pen "Kindest regards Norman A Birks, 23/1/19". Also written on back in pencil by my mother " taken in Germany"
Tattered remnant of "Word of Honour" not to escape issued at Holzminden and signed by Lt A.F. Bird. Date indecipherable.
I hope these might be of interest to someone.
Peter Bird

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This is a shoo-in for the Pogo Prize for most interesting thread I've seen all day. Love it! 8)

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:41 am 

This is a very cool post, especially since we're right at the 100th anniversary of the events described.

Thanks for posting!