Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:21 am 

dzirzow wrote:
tool6996loot wrote:
dzirzow wrote:
Just a note to those with the organizer's ears. I have purchased tickets in the past pre-sale and had the shows dates change (due to jet teams). Also, learned what is hoped for several months earlier (specific plane) may not show up due to various reasons (not always an air show's organizer control). I have attended several TOMs during the past 10 years.

Since I am a 3 hr drive the weather is also a consideration. For these reasons I purchase general admission tix usually end of the calendar year at discounted price so if the dates change, planes change, and weather is questionable, I am not as disappointed if I can not attend and lose $, which has happened. However, this year I refused to buy tix when even general admission tickets you had to select which of the 2 days you would attend: Sat or Sun. I know others in Ohio who have backed out because of this also. I can not spend $60 now for a ticket for one person (pre-sale online has added handling fees so basically same as gate: $40 GA/ $20 parking). Please bring back during the early pre-sale options (Nov. sales) the GA ticket good for either Sat or Sunday, which I choose.

Hoping for a successful show and pleasant weather for all those involved and attending!

Not sure what you are referring too, I bought my tickets on 11/20/2017

Attachment:
Capture.JPG

When I received the early pre-sale e-mail offer in November, clicked link to purchase general admission tickets, I had to select Saturday or Sunday for the general admission tickets, just as you would a chalet ticket.

Interesting, I also bought my tickets via the pre-sale on 11/20/17 and both in the email correspondence and on the actual ticket it says good for either day.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:01 pm 

TOM WALSH wrote:
Correction - The old tent line is swinging 45 degrees to the west from its previous location. The new tent line will face northwest paralleling Runway 23 Left 5 Right. Just over 20 acres of additional green space will be opened to the public. Sorry for any confusion. Much improved over the previous set-up.

Cheers,

Tom Walsh.

Wow that is much better for the afternoon portion of the show. One of my gripes has been it being backlit by 2-3pm. Unfortunately I will not be making it this year and this sounds like a much better show than last year, this will be the first TOM I missed since 2007 since I used my vacation time up for a California Trip and the whole week at Oshkosh. Hopefully we go with this set up in the future, but I am thinking that maybe this is just a Thunderbirds thing since they used 5/23 as the show line back in 2014 also. Blue Angels will probably have it going back to the previous.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:48 pm 

Boeing666 wrote:
TOM WALSH wrote:
Correction - The old tent line is swinging 45 degrees to the west from its previous location. The new tent line will face northwest paralleling Runway 23 Left 5 Right. Just over 20 acres of additional green space will be opened to the public. Sorry for any confusion. Much improved over the previous set-up.

Cheers,

Tom Walsh.

Wow that is much better for the afternoon portion of the show. One of my gripes has been it being backlit by 2-3pm. Unfortunately I will not be making it this year and this sounds like a much better show than last year, this will be the first TOM I missed since 2007 since I used my vacation time up for a California Trip and the whole week at Oshkosh. Hopefully we go with this set up in the future, but I am thinking that maybe this is just a Thunderbirds thing since they used 5/23 as the show line back in 2014 also. Blue Angels will probably have it going back to the previous.

I heard the Blues complaining about the huge garbage mountain on the radio last year during practice, called it a monstrosity and said it was affecting their ability to pick up show center in time from certain vectors of approach ,,, I wonder if this was a factor for the change ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:33 pm 

Xray wrote:

I heard the Blues complaining about the huge garbage mountain on the radio last year during practice, called it a monstrosity and said it was affecting their ability to pick up show center in time from certain vectors of approach ,,, I wonder if this was a factor for the change ?

I also know a few years ago the Thunderbirds refused to do a show line show and did a runway show...bit of a pain as we couldn't see much and the concrete plant was still there also blocking views. I think this will make for a much better viewing angle.

Sean

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:52 am 

What time will the Thunderbirds be arriving today or tomorrow?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:34 am 

Since I live fairly close by to the Yankee Air Museum (roughly 5 miles), I can usually find out when the jets start to arrive thanks to their unique signature sound, which is rather different from the regular commercial airliners. As of now, I’ve only seen a pair of two low flying aircraft (seemed to be a biplane and another, much larger, silver aircraft) that could belong to the Airshow, but I’m just speculating as of now. If anything out of the ordinary pops up, I’ll make sure to post a reply here. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:33 pm 

Yep, it’s confirmed. The Thunderbirds have indeed landed at Willow Run a few hours ago. Can’t wait for their practice runs tmrw and Friday! Ecorse Rd service drive (in-between Denton rd. And Beck Rd. were blocked off, not sure where to watch them practice from since I usually park on that service drive. Hmmm... :|

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:31 pm 

Ecorse is always blocked for Tbirds/Angels.
We tend not to talk about off base viewing spots within the TOM thread out of respect for the show, if you want to PM me I'll tell you my spots. Between the closures and being hemmed in by trees, options are limited.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:29 am 

Thunderbird 8 arrived yesterday. The Yankee Air Museum replied to my comment and said the team would arrive today!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:24 pm 

CAF Dixie Wing announced on FB they are bringing the P-63!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:21 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Alex Pas wrote:
CAF Dixie Wing announced on FB they are bringing the P-63!!

Yessir! I'll be bringing it up tomorrow afternoon. ETA 4-430 PM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Taylor Stevenson wrote:
Yessir! I'll be bringing it up tomorrow afternoon. ETA 4-430 PM

Taylor, to you and everyone else attending: Here's to fair skies and safe travels. :drink3:

Hope it's a fun weekend for all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:13 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks, Dan. Looking forward to it! Never been to Thunder...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:17 pm 

Great news P-63 !
Was surprised to see the show juiced up with jets that I never saw announced, F-35's, F-15's and more, hope to see them arrive tomorrow and for gods sake, hope they do a pass or 2 before landing !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:54 pm 

No 262, taken off the list. According to the Fighter Factory FB page they need to work on the brake system before she will fly again. The Texas F-16’s, C-2, and A-10’s from Selfridge cancelled. On the plus side, arrivals include Doc, B-17 TX Raiders, CAF Corsair, Helldiver, multiple Mustangs, 2 x B-25, Wildcat, A-26, TBM, A-10, F-16, 2 x F-35A, KC-135, C-130, P-3, E-2, Hawk, Chinook, Sean D Tucker, and of course the T-Birds.

Edit: P-47 Hun Hunter en route, just saw video of it leaving TN. Hopefully, we will soon follow.

Last edited by BK on Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next