Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Chino Happenings
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:33 pm 

A stop by Chino on the way home from the air races yielded a few surprises. At the Planes of Fame, the Buchon has the engine out, but it has been painted in Luftwaffe colors. In the P-38 hangar was parked the Collings Foundation example. The Corsair, Mustangs and T-33 were back from Reno. No sign of Voodoo. In the shop, they were working on a Sea Fury fuselage center section, and were building a vertical fin in a rather elaborate jig. The fully restored vertical fins for the Lewis Air Legends Connie are in a rack for storage. The rest of the airplane is around the corner and not accessible to Museum visitors.

Across the field, I was surprised to see a very complete, but unrestored, late model Spitfire fuselage with Griffon engine. Hoping Peter A will be along soon to tell us which one this is. Next to it was Sea Fury WH599, looking nearly ready to go. If you google Sea Fury WH599, not much comes up, but I evetually found a picture of it at Precision back in 2011. It has advanced alot since then. I should mention that these were in the back of the hangar and not accessible for photos.

Down the ramp in a big hangar all by itself, was the Yak "Full Noise" just returned from Reno.

I resisted temptation to visit Yanks. Time heals all wounds, but not that quickly.

Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. “

– Michael Crichton

Post subject: Re: Chino Happenings
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:57 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Are the fires in the area effecting or threating Chino?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:15 pm 

The fires are not threatening the airport, and the great thing is the DC 10 tanker looked really good today.

Believe the Spitfire is Mk XVIII TP276, and I have great hopes to see her progress. She is in excellent hands.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:50 pm 
KiwiZac

RobC wrote:
At the Planes of Fame (...) No sign of Voodoo.

Word from the race fan forum is that both she and Strega need engine work before they can leave Stead, that is if they're to fly out. Stevo and Voodoo weren't at the podium after the Gold final because they couldn't get there - serious engine problems. Stevo coasted to a stop, chocked her with some rocks, then waited for help.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:05 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Great update! Were the Sea Fury and Spitfire in one of the wartime hangars along the north side of the field, or in the new hangar block to the east?

August

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:32 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

This roughly fits here - does PoF outright 'own' their B-50 or is it 'on loan' from the USAFM?

Tom P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:51 am 

So many words, yet so few pics...

Nice update though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:33 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

wendovertom wrote:
This roughly fits here - does PoF outright 'own' their B-50 or is it 'on loan' from the USAFM?

Tom P.
AFAIK all the "on loan" stuff has been returned.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:39 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

bdk wrote:
wendovertom wrote:

Tom P.
AFAIK all the "on loan" stuff has been returned.

Was a KC-97 donor aircraft ever obtained for the mused about mating the B-50 fuselage with? Ex Greybull airframe perhaps donating wings, engines, etc. Now that would be a great aircraft so see with 4 x 4360's all full chat!!! Please!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:48 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The B-50 is a "Beyond Fantasy" to see restored to flying condition. I don't think there was ever a B-50 flying civilian. A couple of those C-97's were purchased by Clay Lacy ,etal. No clue what their vision was for them. Even seeing the POF B-50 as a static sitting on a donor set of wings, gear, and engines would be a terrific sight. Saw the CAF's B-29 at Oshkosh the year it had a two tone Silver and black fuselage, painted for a movie. A B-50 would look great in that scheme.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:13 pm 

k5083 wrote:
Great update! Were the Sea Fury and Spitfire in one of the wartime hangars along the north side of the field, or in the new hangar block to the east?

August

Thank you. They are in the eastern-most of the group of four hangars along runway 26, where Aero-Trader is based.

StangStung wrote:
So many words, yet so few pics...

Nice update though.

I know. I thought about that reaction before I typed it up, but Mark said things were dull around here.

I am not a photographer or spotter. Just a mechanic and pilot. In fact, a typical road trip for me includes a point about 50 miles from home where I suddenly realize, sugar, i forgot my camera! But in the case of the Spitfire and WH599, not even the great Neal Nurmi could have got a decent picture of them. They were at the back of a long hangar.

Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. “

– Michael Crichton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:13 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

sandiego89 wrote:

Was a KC-97 donor aircraft ever obtained for the mused about mating the B-50 fuselage with? Ex Greybull airframe perhaps donating wings, engines, etc. Now that would be a great aircraft so see with 4 x 4360's all full chat!!! Please!

The one sitting at WJF is probably going to be scrapped in place & it's less than 100 miles from Chino.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:14 pm 

Quote:
Word from the race fan forum is that both she and Strega need engine work before they can leave Stead, that is if they're to fly out. Stevo and Voodoo weren't at the podium after the Gold final because they couldn't get there - serious engine problems. Stevo coasted to a stop, chocked her with some rocks, then waited for help.

Not trying to stir any controversy here, but I would swear I saw Voodoo taxi right past the Reno podium and on to her pit. Have to admit, sitting there watching from the box seats, we kinda saw it as sour grapes. Never met Steve-O, but I would assume he had good reason not to stop.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:21 pm 

ignomini wrote:
Quote:

Not trying to stir any controversy here, but I would swear I saw Voodoo taxi right past the Reno podium and on to her pit. Have to admit, sitting there watching from the box seats, we kinda saw it as sour grapes. Never met Steve-O, but I would assume he had good reason not to stop.

You should go watch the video. Memories are often foggy. My memory is walking down to the pits at the same time Voodoo was being towed from the far end of the runway back to the pits.

Edit: tried to find the posted video but can't. Somebody must have it?

– Michael Crichton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:34 pm 

RobC wrote:
ignomini wrote:
Quote:

You should go watch the video. Memories are often foggy. My memory is walking down to the pits at the same time Voodoo was being towed from the far end of the runway back to the pits.

Edit: tried to find the posted video but can't. Somebody must have it?

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXnNS20 ... e=youtu.be

More discussion here
http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showthre ... the-podium