Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:51 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Yes, that's correct, Andy, though I haven't heard anything on it lately. It has been listed among the project aircraft on FAST's website for quite a while, but no photos/not much information: http://www.fastaero.be/aircrafts-2/

There is a Centaurus-powered Hawker Fury Mk.10 based in Belgium, painted in Iraqi markings (former VH-ISS), that FAST has been working on for a few years now (engine related). The freshly overhauled Centaurus, from Mike Nixon, arrived in May 2016, and the freshly overhauled carb arrived February 2017. At that time, some engine runs were performed and a first test flight was expected, but I've not seen any news since.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:06 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I've made a few updates.

The Hangar10/Air Fighter Academy Bf-109G-6 D-FMGS, which is a new-build airframe with some original parts and identity, just flew for the first time within the past day, and thus can now truely be considered a flying example. As far as I know, the Hangar10 Bf-109G-14 (re-engined, re-configured and newly-assigned data plate idenity of the former Richard Lake Buchon) has not yet flown but will likely be soon as well (registration D-FMGV).

I went ahead and removed the Biggin Hill-based Bf-109E from the list again, as other than flying one time last year it has not flown since, and the engine has been off the airframe for a while again.

I still haven't heard/seen anything recently with regard to the German-based Bf-109E WkNr.1983. Last summer it was photographed fully completed and conducting taxi tests. Whether or not it has flown yet I am not aware ( it is a stunning restoration!).

Also, while I was at it, I went ahead and added Air Leasing's latest Buchon restoration (G-AWHM "Yellow 7") to the flying list, as it is expected to make its first test flight as soon as next week/as soon as the weather allows.

The P-47 list has also been adjusted to match the name/paint scheme change of the now former "No Guts, No Glory", in the UK, now named "Nellie". It should be making its first UK test flight, since arriving a couple weeks ago, as soon as next week/as soon as the weather allows.

The now fully repaired and assembled "Miss Helen" has also been put back on the list of flying P-51 Mustangs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:25 am 

Hey John, haven't double checked the Sea Fury's, but I know for sure that N878M is airworthy. Might be a few more left out I'll try to go through them again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:37 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

With regard to "N878M"/"Miss Merced", I had been trying to find any evidence I could that it has been flown within the past five years and I wasn't able to, so that is the reason I left it off. I have removed N260X, as it has not flown in more than five years by what I've read (and not seen).

Speaking of Sea Furies, the former Czech-based N1954H has been purchased by a new owner in Germany and is currently receiving work at MeierMotors. This aircraft is perhaps most well known for having been C-FGAT in Canada, when owned and flown for a number of years by Sandy Thomson (who I thought had an interesting philosophy in that he refused to put full military markings on the aircraft, as it was not in original nor full military-stock configuration, and he didn't want to miss-represent it as being so). I think when Sandy owned it, it was his go-to business plane/commuter.

It was just reported yesterday by FAST Aero that the Centaurus-powered Hawker Fury FB10 in Belgium, painted in Iraqi AF markings, is now registered OO-ISS and should be test flown very soon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:31 pm 

John,

You should be able to see this link I imagine, this is the only recent hard evidence I have of her flying besides talking to the owner at Reno last year and he said they fly her often.

https://www.facebook.com/49029102116878 ... =2&theater

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:48 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Sweet! Thanks very much for the link (and what a great sound)! I will certainly put it on the list. ; )

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:46 pm 

Of course! Thanks for creating the list, I check it often :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:55 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I've added F4U-5 F-AZEG to the flying list, now bringing the number of active Corsairs to 29. Based at La Ferte-Alais, it made its first flight today following many years of work - just ahead of the La Ferte-Alais air show coming up on May 19th & 20th.

Also added the Yanks P-40E, which flew last Friday, bringing the total number of flying P-40's to 36 (hopefully it will continue to be flown/kept active). Also made a few updates here and there (both good and unfortunate).

I was glad to see that the repaired/rebuilt horizontal and vertical stabilizers are now installed on the P-51B "Berlin Express" again, with a new Malcolm canopy (plexiglass) still yet to be installed. The aircraft remains in the care of The Fighter Collection at Duxford, UK, and is scheduled to be flown at the Flying Legends airshow in July. The TF-51D "Miss Velma" (though won't be known as such anymore) is also scheduled to be at Flying Legends in July. The major assemblies are on their way to England, to be painted and assembled at Air Leasing.

Last edited by JohnTerrell on Mon May 21, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Added Spitfire Mk.XI PL983 to the flying list. It made its first post-restoration test flight today at Duxford, following restoration by the Aircraft Restoration Company (ARCo).

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:21 pm 

Hi John,

You can add the CAF-CO TBM-3E N53503 back to the list of flying Avengers - saw it in the air at the TBM Gathering this past weekend.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:23 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thank you Paul! It has been added back into the list.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:33 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

First and foremost, thank you to John for keeping the list, and this thread, up to date. Second, it is REALLY good to see that "Miss Merced" is still active. Like many folks I was under the impression that the airplane was locked away in a hangar somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:21 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It is being reported that the F-6D Mustang "Lil' Margaret" was badly/severely damaged today during what was the new owner's first takeoff attempt in the aircraft. Fortunately the owner/pilot was not injured, but holy crap(!). It hurts to hear of such a circumstance like that happening and to such an aircraft. Having not seen the outcome of the damage, hopefully it is better than what my mind imagines.

The Australian-based Mustang "Snifter" is finally flying again as of this past week, and has been added back into the list of flying Mustangs after about a year and half of deep maintenance/overhaul.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

JohnTerrell wrote:
It is being reported that the F-6D Mustang "Lil' Margaret" was badly/severely damaged today during what was the new owner's first takeoff attempt in the aircraft.

I had a bad feeling about this one being sold. Turns out I guess I was right. Sad.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:47 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

JohnTerrell wrote:
It is being reported that the F-6D Mustang "Lil' Margaret" was badly/severely damaged today during what was the new owner's first takeoff attempt in the aircraft. Fortunately the owner/pilot was not injured, but holy crap(!). It hurts to hear of such a circumstance like that happening and to such an aircraft. Having not seen the outcome of the damage, hopefully it is better than what my mind imagines.

Ah crap!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next