Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Chino Happenings

Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:37 pm

David Legg wrote:I would appreciate an update on the status of the Yanks Air Museum Catalina N2763A if any member has local knowledge.

I don't think they are working on it if that is your question.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:38 am

bdk wrote:
David Legg wrote:I would appreciate an update on the status of the Yanks Air Museum Catalina N2763A if any member has local knowledge.

I don't think they are working on it if that is your question.

Thanks - that is what I thought but I am keen to be up-to-date. I am thousands of miles away!

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:36 pm

Its been confirmed via "Warbirds International" that the Sea Furies WG599 and VZ345, owned by Stephen Grey (The Fighter Collection), are with Matt Nightingale's California Aerofab shop, now located at Chino. The work to be done on getting WG599 completed/flying sounds to be fairly straight forward, but the work to be done on returning VZ345 to the air is considerably more, so some components of VZ345 are with Steve Hinton's Fighter Rebuilders shop as well. California Aerofab was of course responsible for the restoration of TFC's Hawk 75, P-36 and early P-40's. The Griffon-engine Spitfire project you saw is the Mk.XVIII TP276, owned by the Frasca family, under restoration with California Aerofab to fly - this airframe had previously been in storage with the Frascas for many years.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:37 am

Green P-40 with a white skull on the cowl, wings removed but nearby at Aero Trader.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:50 am

Possibly the former Peter Teichman/TFC P-40M exported from the UK recently?

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:47 pm

"I actually hope the PoF Jack and Fireball never fly. They are sole survivors and are original. I believe sole survivors should never fly- just too risky. I understand others may not share my opinion. Any Val project would largely be a data plate restoration, so I would be OK with that."

I also hope the Jack stays on the ground, and am confident it likely will. Given the state of Japan's industry at the time it was built I'd wager it's metallurgy and heat treating is a little circumspect.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:06 pm

bdk wrote:Green P-40 with a white skull on the cowl, wings removed but nearby at Aero Trader.

Probably the ex-Evergreen P-40

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:12 am

Matt Gunsch wrote:
bdk wrote:Green P-40 with a white skull on the cowl, wings removed but nearby at Aero Trader.

Probably the ex-Evergreen P-40

I think they dispersed with the "Burma Rascal" scheme on that one a long time ago.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:01 am

It's the Hangar 11 P-40 "Lulu Belle"

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:42 am

Dan Jones wrote:I also hope the Jack stays on the ground, and am confident it likely will. Given the state of Japan's industry at the time it was built I'd wager it's metallurgy and heat treating is a little circumspect.

Not a concern, the spar cap looks like a piece of seriously dry rotted wood. It was ground down an filled for a repaint some years back. But then again, the POF Zero spar caps were replaced during its initial restoration 30+ years ago and has been flying just fine ever since.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:35 pm

I'd hate to see the Raiden fly (being the last one) but I'd love to hear it run. I wonder if Pensacola would trade their -5 Hellcat for the Fireball?

Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Dan Jones wrote:I wonder if Pensacola would trade their -5 Hellcat for the Fireball?

Now that is a really good question Dan and would be beneficial to all involved I would think. Hmmm....

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:00 am

Aero Trader P-40 is on the gear!
Post a reply