Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Hickory NC tornado
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:34 pm 

Saw pictures of the airport and museum on the news. Any word on damages? I hope everyone in the area is safe.

Post subject: Re: Hickory NC tornado
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tim L wrote:
Saw pictures of the airport and museum on the news. Any word on damages? I hope everyone in the area is safe.

The museum's facebook page reports no injuries but 6 planes damaged, with the Vampire being the hardest hit.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1581632 ... 459246304/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:52 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Link to an article with some good videos and photos: http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/hickor ... /628957867

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:58 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Sad to hear this. Spent some time at the museum on a road trip through NC about four years ago. A nice collection of aircraft. The A-4, A-7, FJ-3 and F-4B stood out in particular. Here's hoping they have the budget and resources to get the aircraft repaired.

I also hope the resident Fairchild 24 at the airport escaped damage. One of the finest examples of the type around.

I hope any WIXers in the area are doing ok in the aftermath.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:30 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

There is a Fairchild 24 in some of the pics/videos at the link above. It is surrounded by carnage but appears to be in one piece but the pics are not good enough to see if it has any damage. It would be hard to believe that it is untouched given all the damage to the surrounding aircraft and buildings.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:49 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

One should never be shocked by what reporters utter without obviously thinking before they speak for the record, but they still manage to tweak that nerve of mine on occasion. When looking at the wreckage of the car on its side, they could not get over the car laying there to comment, "Cars are not meant to catch air and take flight, planes are!"...Oy vey! :shock:

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:50 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

airnutz wrote:
One should never be shocked by what reporters utter without obviously thinking before they speak for the record, but they still manage to tweak that nerve of mine on occasion. When looking at the wreckage of the car on its side, they could not get over the car laying there to comment, "Cars are not meant to catch air and take flight, planes are!"...Oy vey! :shock:

Not sure what it is about that statement you find objectionable airnutz. The reporter was making a point about the apparent strength of the tornado by noting that is was strong enough to pick up a car, which unlike the airplanes, is not designed to be picked up by the wind. I thought it was a rather astute observation that illustrated the point quite well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:52 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Guess it's just me then Chad. I thought the astuteness of the tornadoes force with the hangar roof smashed I-beams and purlins and walls caved-in addressed that more than a car rolled over on top of another car.

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF