Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Steve Hinton and Voodoo's arrival to Reno video

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:10 am

The WWII numbers for many engines are not as defined as books indicate. You can pull a lot more out of the engines -- until they blow up.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:15 am

Not sure what you mean by antifreeze...

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:13 am

Dave Hadfield wrote:Not sure what you mean by antifreeze...

Preventing the "mixture" to freeze at high altitude, pure water will, the "mixture" won't (within limits).

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:51 am

KiwiZac wrote:
jschillereff wrote:Too answer the question, yes I'm putting together the gold race video now and will add the cockpit footage to it as well.

Jason, for the past couple of days, after work I've spent an hour or so watching videos from your YouTube channel. This means I kinda know what to expect from the in-cockpit stuff, and I'm very excited! :drink3:

Thanks!! I'm just about finished with the video and will have it uploaded in the next couple of days.
Jason

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:07 am

Christer wrote:
JohnTerrell wrote:Furthermore, using U.S.-produced 115/145 grade fuel, the VII Fighter Command P-51s on Iwo Jima also ran 80" MP WEP. The V-1650-9 Merlin, as installed on the P-51H, could run 90" MP WEP, on water-injection.

Interesting, I didn't know that the P-51H was equipped for water injection. Was methanol/water an alternative or "antifreeze" was never needed?

The water injection was sprayed into the induction system to prevent detonation in the engine at high power settings.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:35 pm

Matt Gunsch wrote:The water injection was sprayed into the induction system to prevent detonation in the engine at high power settings.

Yes, I know how it works. Even the fuel being injected into the supercharger acts as an anti-detonant (is there such a word). Injecting the fuel directly into the cylinders does not have a cooling effect.
Post a reply