Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Reno 2017 - Warbird Photo Dump

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:58 am

I would suggest that any of those who object, do not click on this thread!
Absolutely gorgeous photos!! Please keep 'em coming!

Much thanks pop1

Andy

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:04 pm

A few shots from the Fenceline and show area Wednesday night (Witness the gathering storm)

The couple Sport class shots that just blew my mind.

Will

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:50 pm

More great stuff , Will! I didn’t think you were done, but I started to wonder when this thread got well into page 2

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:07 pm

I'm loving >all< the Reno shots, and hope they keep coming! 8)

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:45 am

garbs wrote:More great stuff , Will! I didn’t think you were done, but I started to wonder when this thread got well into page 2

I'm far from done, but I might have to take a bit of a hiatus for awhile. One of the fires here in Napa likely burned my place to the ground. I got some stuff out, like the computers, and camera equipment, but as of now I don't know if I even have a place to return home to. At this time I don't even know when I'll be able to go find out. There is a slim chance the fire went around, me, but that chance is as slim as it gets.

Will

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:02 pm

Blackbirdfan wrote:
garbs wrote:More great stuff , Will! I didn’t think you were done, but I started to wonder when this thread got well into page 2

I'm far from done, but I might have to take a bit of a hiatus for awhile. One of the fires here in Napa likely burned my place to the ground. I got some stuff out, like the computers, and camera equipment, but as of now I don't know if I even have a place to return home to. At this time I don't even know when I'll be able to go find out. There is a slim chance the fire went around, me, but that chance is as slim as it gets.

Will

Hoping for the best for you (did you get your car out?)
Got off the BART in downtown to a typically foggy 'Frisco morning - except it was all smoke. :shock:
Couldn't see down Market St.:(

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:17 pm

Lon Moer wrote:
Blackbirdfan wrote:

Will

Hoping for the best for you (did you get your car out?)
Got off the BART in downtown to a typically foggy 'Frisco morning - except it was all smoke. :shock:
Couldn't see down Market St.:(

Yes, got the car out, didn't get the two sets of race wheels for the race car, or any of the very hard to find spares, or the 3 sets of wheels for the daily driver, or a few other things including all my Reno shirts, and a few more hard to find reno things (Like my two challenge coins or Stuff like that. )

I haven't heard an all clear to go survey the remains. Not sure when I will. The smoke is so bad where I am that I can't see the areas that burned last night, nor the areas that are burning.

Will

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:35 pm

Oh jeez, Will, I'm so sorry to read that. Had I known I wouldn't have been pressing you so hard for photos.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:15 pm

Yeah -echo that. Can’t imagine having to bail out under an evacuation order. Fingers crossed that you have a place to return to

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:14 am

KiwiZac wrote:Oh jeez, Will, I'm so sorry to read that. Had I known I wouldn't have been pressing you so hard for photos.

There was a massive firestorm that broke out around the Napa and Sonoma Valleys last night about 9 pm. We had crazy high winds. The power went out for a minute or two, came back on. I walked out to close my front gate like I always do and could smell a grass fire. Then I turned around and saw 5 separate fires on the hillside above me. Knowing it could get ugly fast, I figured I should set up a defensible area with hoses laid out just in case burning embers came flying down... I didn't get burning embers, I got a whole arm of the fire. It covered about 3 miles in less than 45 minutes. A friend came over with his truck and I tossed as much stuff in as I could get, but totally failed to grab a few important things. I never actually heard an evacuation call. They may have done one, but never got up my long driveway. We looked at each other and said, time to go.

After I retreated to my friends place, I got a call from my boss saying the hills above my work were on fire and it would be a good idea for me to come in just in case. So, at 3am I picked up and drove out to work. As I crested a hill on the way there, holy hell... Inferno. I got into work (a high end hotel) and discovered that everyone was being evacuated. Once all the guests were out, it was the employee's next. We got everyone out aside from the GM and myself. He answered the front desk calls, and I did security rounds and kept an eye on the fires. This continued all day long today. Im happy to say the hotel suffered no damage other than broken tree limbs and other things that flew around with the high wind gusts. All in all there is a lot to clean up, lots of ash everywhere, but everything is safe even though we are technically still evacuated.

Will

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:17 am

Stay safe! The stuff is important, but in the bigger picture, not so important. Hope your home is spared.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:45 pm

UPDATE: Beyond all belief my neighbor snuck in to check on his house behind mine and reports that both places did not burn. I haven't been able to see for myself, but it sounds like we got out more or less untouched.

As soon as I can get back in, I can get back to processing pics. I might get a few done tonight from where I'm staying.

Will

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:48 pm

Great news.... :drink3:

Phil

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:53 pm

Blackbirdfan wrote:UPDATE: Beyond all belief my neighbor snuck in to check on his house behind mine and reports that both places did not burn. I haven't been able to see for myself, but it sounds like we got out more or less untouched.

Hoping that you have managed to come out unscathed Will. Mother nature sure has been unforgiving as of late.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:04 pm

Wishing for the best for you and yours Will.
I can't even imagine all the horrors folks have gone through lately.
Hurricanes, floods and fires. Sheesh!

Stay safe all.

Andy
Post a reply