Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Phantom Phor sale!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:21 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

OH MAN - first the Crusaders, now this Phantom - she is a beauty and I know 80% complete means a ton of work still BUT jeez this is a special air frame!! If I had the lotto win on my side no question - the T-33s in Wendover would have a new stablemate.

http://www.platinumfighters.com/phantom2

Tom P.

Post subject: Re: Phantom Phor sale!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:49 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I do find the early short nosed, low rear canopy, Phantoms the best looking of the breed. I stumbled across the #3 bird (the oldest survivor) at Quantico about 10 years ago sitting dumped, and later moved to a ramp- in rough shape, and missing a few bits, but could not mistake the shape. Believe she is inside somewhere on base now.

I have been longing for years for the NASM to bring the real Sageburner out of deep storage at Garber- doubt it will ever happen.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:56 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Excuse my ignorance, but the the ad claims it's the "World's Only Privately Owned F-4 Phantom Capable of Flight". What about Collins Foundation Phantom? I grew up in the 1970's under the flight path for Miramar. I used to love watching the F4's in the pattern.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:52 am 

maxum96 wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but the the ad claims it's the "World's Only Privately Owned F-4 Phantom Capable of Flight". What about Collins Foundation Phantom? I grew up in the 1970's under the flight path for Miramar. I used to love watching the F4's in the pattern.

No reason for ignorance. Your assumption that the ad is wrong is 100% correct. This is NOT the "World's Only Privately Owned F-4 Capable of Flight". The Collings Foundation F-4D is 100% flyable (she last flew in October, and is finishing up winter maintenance right now), and is privately owned by the Foundation. For some reason the sellers and Platinum seem to believe that the F-4 is still owned by the USAF and Collings operates it under an agreement with the government, which is completely false. The F-4 was gifted to the foundation in the 1999 Defense Authorization Act along with a bill of sale. The only condition in the deed of gift, is that IF the foundation were to ever sell the jet it requires that the government be notified beforehand, and approve of any buyer. The operation of the F-4 is completely up to Collings, and falls under the same FAA regulations as any other airplane, with no assistance or permission from the USAF. Quite frankly, if the USAF still owned the jet, it would be parked.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:32 pm 

Ryan Harris wrote:
maxum96 wrote:

No reason for ignorance. Your assumption that the ad is wrong is 100% correct. This is NOT the "World's Only Privately Owned F-4 Capable of Flight".

And given its not finished, technically its not capable of flight either :lol:

In which case, you could possibly add a 3rd, as HHA in the UK have acquired an ex-GAF F-4 for possible mil contract work, which, while it would be operated under a mil serial, would be privately owned.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:54 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

So, what's the operational cost per hour? :lol: :toimonster:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:37 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

sandiego89 wrote:
I stumbled across the #3 bird (the oldest survivor) at Quantico about 10 years ago sitting dumped, and later moved to a ramp- in rough shape, and missing a few bits, but could not mistake the shape. Believe she is inside somewhere on base now.

Forgotten Jets lists that one as BuNo 143388, but they list the #2 bird (142260) as preserved at Bonita, CA - is it still around?
http://www.millionmonkeytheater.com/F-4.html

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:41 pm 

OK vote, both the Crusaders and this Phantom cost about the same 4 mil.
If you had a spare 4 mil which would you rather have?
I'd vote for The Phantom because it would cost less to operate due to spares availability

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:05 am 

I'm guessing that this is the F-4A from the Wings and Rotors museum in Murrieta, Ca. They must have decided that it was too much of a money pit or want to concentrate on something else. What they've done sure looks nice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 am 

Quote:
I'd vote for The Phantom because it would cost less to operate due to spares availability

... and with handy space for a paying GiB. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 am 

Deleted. Double post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:49 am 

I used to watch Phantoms take off at night in full afterburner at Lambert in St. Louis, ANG base. Scared the bejeezus out me. Didn't realize then how fleeting it was, their coming end was not even considered by me at the time. Got to appreciate every thing you see with old aircraft, it could be the last time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:15 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Chris Brame wrote:
sandiego89 wrote:
I stumbled across the #3 bird (the oldest survivor) at Quantico about 10 years ago sitting dumped, and later moved to a ramp- in rough shape, and missing a few bits, but could not mistake the shape. Believe she is inside somewhere on base now.

Forgotten Jets lists that one as BuNo 143388, but they list the #2 bird (142260) as preserved at Bonita, CA - is it still around?
http://www.millionmonkeytheater.com/F-4.html

Thanks Chris, my error- I thought #3 was the oldest survivor, and appreciate the link. #3 would be a huge project as she looked pretty stripped and rough after being unpainted and left outdoors for decades.

Courier, I know how you feel- I went to college near Miramar in the 1980s's and 20 years alter was living close to Oceana and I thought I would always see F-14's in the pattern....I really tried to soak in the final few flights of them I could see when the end was near, as I did with the Collins F-4 and the Starfighters F-104s I have seen at airshows as well, as you never know when you see the last flyer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ALOHADAVE wrote:
OK vote, both the Crusaders and this Phantom cost about the same 4 mil.
If you had a spare 4 mil which would you rather have?

I would guess the F-8 might be more supportable in the long run being a single engine, less advanced type. But I agree, the Phantom would certainly have the edge in parts supply!

If nothing else, the F-8 wins in fuel costs.

Like Courier Sportster, there was a time when Phantoms were ubiquitous, here and abroad, I figured they (and the 727 on the civil side) would be around forever.

With the slim possibility of any civil F-15-16-18 ever flying, this might be the best last chance for an American fighter warbird. I hope someone takes it on for that fact alone.

I wonder if Paul Allen is interested?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:46 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

phixer wrote:
I'm guessing that this is the F-4A from the Wings and Rotors museum in Murrieta, Ca. They must have decided that it was too much of a money pit or want to concentrate on something else. What they've done sure looks nice.

Apparently the donor who was funding it pulled the plug

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.