Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:52 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It would make sense to donate the floats to Kermit's museum. Then He would have the prop and a pair of floats. Maybe with a gentleman's agreement that if anyone can find an SC-1 to rebuild or even a replica of some kind that he would pass them on to someones efforts.
I found a PBM Mariner's seat at Oshkosh this year and bought for a friend whose dad flew them. There are no doubt a few more bits of Seahawk parts out there. Maybe someday someone could build a fibreglas replica with a few original parts . I don't think retrieving the example from the Indianapolis is ever going to happen. I listened to a survivors story at a Veteran's Day event a couple years ago and it was quite gruesome and in my mind, one of the biggest "F'Ups" by Navy and pentagon brass in the entire war.
Thousands of gold star parents and family members were created from this one event.

Last edited by marine air on Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:55 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

sandiego89 wrote:

I don't believe the hangar was used for Little Boy components. 2 key pieces were brought on board, the gun assembly which was in a large box welded to the deck, and a smaller box/bucket containing the uranium "bullet" that was welded to the deck of the Commanding Officers stateroom, without telling him what it was. He surmised biological agents.

Thanks for the info! I was just going by what they said during the PBS Special. I hadn't really read up on the specifics of the mission.

SN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:00 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

marine air wrote:
It would make sense to donate the floats to Kermit's museum. Then He would have the prop and a pair of floats. Maybe with a gentleman's agreement that if anyone can find an SOC-1 to rebuyild or even a replica of some kind that he would pass them on to someones efforts.
I found a PBM Mariner's seat at Oshkosh this year and bought for a friend whose dad flew them. There are no doubt a few more bits of Seagull parts out there. Maybe someday someone could build a fibreglas replica with a few original parts . I don't think retrieving the example from the Indianapolis is ever going to happen. I listened to a survivors story at a Veteran's Day event a couple years ago and it was quite gruesome and in my mind, one of the biggest "F'Ups" by Navy and pentagon brass in the entire war.
Thousands of gold star parents and family members were created from this one event.

I think you are talking about two different aircraft, SC-1 Seahawk vs. SOC-1 Seagull.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:47 am 
a.k.a. TBDude

Reviewing the video reveals a USN Bu No on the remains of the tail ...

https://youtu.be/CTki2sOnqJo?t=23m50s

I make it out as "35635," which fits the sequence (35301-35797) listed on Joe Baugher's site ...

http://www.joebaugher.com/navy_serials/thirdseries4.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:09 am 

The Indianapolis sank with three SC-1s on board. BuNos 35600, 35630 & 35635.

Mac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:22 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

If the survivors, their family members, and a consensus was built tht a Seagull could be retreived , resotred and put on display as a tribute to this most horrible loss, then I would be in favor. It would have to be up to the survivors and the gold star family members.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:28 pm 

Why not bring back one of the moon rovers be more fun than getting all wet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If anyone plans on building an example out of a prop and two wings floats, let's ask ourselves a question...do any drawings still exist?

I recently read that after Curtiss quit making aircraft (after the cancellation f the F-87 interceptor) it sold the Columbus factory to North American (where they produced FJ/F-1 Furys among others).
Part of the deal were the design rights to Curtiss (and therefore Travel Air as well) aircraft.
Well NAA became Rockwell and when Rockwell quit being a prime contractor, it's right were taken over by Boeing.

So,cutting to the chase, does Boeing have the rights/plans?