Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:47 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Pogo wrote:
Mick G wrote:
Having these aviation museums located in hurricane prone states is just asking for trouble. It is not the first, nor will it be the last warbird to succumb to poor location planning. It always amazes me how stupid we humans are. Fortunately this one was a common type,.

We humans can be pretty stupid alright, but gotta admit, there be lots and lots of ticket-buying tourists at the seashore. To the best of my knowledge, West Virginia is about the safest state in the Union, natural calamity wise. I have not a derogatory thing to say about WV, but as is often said, "do the math."

Parts of West Virginia recently suffered from devastating floods. No place is truly safe from the wrath of nature.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:29 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Not to mention fires elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:12 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

K5DH wrote:
Pogo wrote:
Mick G wrote:
Having these aviation museums located in hurricane prone states is just asking for trouble. It is not the first, nor will it be the last warbird to succumb to poor location planning. It always amazes me how stupid we humans are. Fortunately this one was a common type,.

We humans can be pretty stupid alright, but gotta admit, there be lots and lots of ticket-buying tourists at the seashore. To the best of my knowledge, West Virginia is about the safest state in the Union, natural calamity wise. I have not a derogatory thing to say about WV, but as is often said, "do the math."

Parts of West Virginia recently suffered from devastating floods. No place is truly safe from the wrath of nature.

Including Charleson, WV, where the airport had flooding DESPITE being on a hill.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:10 pm 

It might be fun to make fun of my original comment, but don't kid yourselves.
Ive never heard of an earthquake destroying an aircraft. Flooding might cause headache, but it will dry out. Forest wildfires are generally not dangerous to cities. Tornados, hurricanes, much less forgiving.....
Just reiterating that Florida isn't the smartest state to place artifacts that should be preserved for future generations.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:34 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Not making fun of you, sir. In fact lots of people questioned the wisdom of locating LSFM on Galveston Island. The answer most got was along the lines of "yeah ... but that's where the tourists are." It's no stretch to believe money might have something to do with it is all I'm saying.

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:13 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Mick G wrote:
Ive never heard of an earthquake destroying an aircraft. Flooding might cause headache, but it will dry out.

Earthquakes have destroyed many airplanes when the hangars they were in collapsed on top of them. While hangars seem to be generally more resistant to earthquake damage, doing things like hanging an airplane from the ceiling makes them more vulnerable as well.

Additionally, flooding might dry out, but it very well might destroy your planes too in the process, especially if they are fliers. It's extremely expensive to deal with flooding and that's what finally drove LSFM off the island and to Ellington. They lost more from the water than anything else by a long shot. It's what's done the most damage in Houston by far both after Ike and now Harvey so don't discount water in itself as corrosion is especially a silent and sneaky killer of airplanes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:04 pm 

CAPFlyer wrote:
Mick G wrote:
Ive never heard of an earthquake destroying an aircraft. Flooding might cause headache, but it will dry out.

Earthquakes have destroyed many airplanes when the hangars they were in collapsed on top of them.

Rigggggggggght.....lol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:59 pm 

wingmanjim wrote:
I can verify American Aero came through okay. No losses that I noted on a brief visit a couple of days ago.

thanks. i know gary had his birthday.