Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:27 pm 
KiwiZac

Hi all,
I've just discovered the Mosquito Pathfinder Trust on Facebook, aiming to raise funds to restore and operate a B.IV in the United Kingdom:
Quote:
Welcome to The Mosquito Pathfinder Trust

The Mosquito Pathfinder Trust was established with the sole mission of returning a fully airworthy de Havilland Mosquito to the skies over Britain. The Mosquito is a British designed and engineered marvel of aviation history, yet the British public does not have one to grace the skies of this great nation.

All three airworthy de Havilland Mosquito’s in existence today are operated by private owners in the USA. Our charity has been set up with the full intent of changing that, and restoring a de Havilland Mosquito that the British public can call their own.

To complete our mission, our charity needs to raise £4 million in 3 years. We do however have a very urgent need to raise £750,000 before the end of 2017 to commence the restoration work on our selected MK.IV aircraft.

Our board of Trustees is supported by John de Havilland, direct descendant of Geoffrey de Havilland and by Philip Birtles, President of the de Havilland Aircraft Museum.

You can find out more by visiting our website:
https://www.thewoodenwonder.org.uk/

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere on the forum. Their website says the charity registration was in July this year.

I'm very, very curious to see how this and The People's Mosquito can coexist.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:36 am 

KiwiZac wrote:
Hi all,
I've just discovered the Mosquito Pathfinder Trust on Facebook, aiming to raise funds to restore and operate a B.IV in the United Kingdom:
Quote:
Welcome to The Mosquito Pathfinder Trust

The Mosquito Pathfinder Trust was established with the sole mission of returning a fully airworthy de Havilland Mosquito to the skies over Britain. The Mosquito is a British designed and engineered marvel of aviation history, yet the British public does not have one to grace the skies of this great nation.

All three airworthy de Havilland Mosquito’s in existence today are operated by private owners in the USA. Our charity has been set up with the full intent of changing that, and restoring a de Havilland Mosquito that the British public can call their own.

To complete our mission, our charity needs to raise £4 million in 3 years. We do however have a very urgent need to raise £750,000 before the end of 2017 to commence the restoration work on our selected MK.IV aircraft.

Our board of Trustees is supported by John de Havilland, direct descendant of Geoffrey de Havilland and by Philip Birtles, President of the de Havilland Aircraft Museum.

You can find out more by visiting our website:
https://www.thewoodenwonder.org.uk/

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere on the forum. Their website says the charity registration was in July this year.

I'm very, very curious to see how this and The People's Mosquito can coexist.

So am I :shock:

I'm guessing the 750k to be raised is the 'purchase' cost of the base project plus start-up cost to Avpecs to get this into the queue behind PZ474?

750k is a LOT to be raised by end of year in the current climate in the UK.

But..........I think the chances of raising that money in that time frame isn't high to be honest.

However, this has to be a better starting point than TPM's in getting a Mossie flying in the UK? All TPM had at the start is a data plate(s) from a dug crash site!

Would love to see both projects succeed and we get 2 x Mossie's in the UK, however, I won't be holding my breath of ever seeing one here tbh.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:05 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Cool project, although I didn't realize the USA had annexed British Columbia.

August

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:54 am 

k5083 wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure Bob Jens would be most unamused to know that his Mossie now resides in the USA :lol:

Mind you by all accounts it hasn't flown since 2015, and given the predictions beforehand, it maybe unlikely to ever fly again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Firebird wrote:
k5083 wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure Bob Jens would be most unamused to know that his Mossie now resides in the USA :lol:

Mind you by all accounts it hasn't flown since 2015, and given the predictions beforehand, it maybe unlikely to ever fly again.

Perfectly rational, given that it still has its original fuselage. I can't imagine that the original glues and wood will last forever, and it's not like only can simply replace worn out skins, bulkheads, etc. as on a metal aircraft.

Best of luck to the Mosquito Pathfinder Trust. Certainly an aggressive fundraising campaign. The UK deserves at least one flying Mossie.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:38 pm 
KiwiZac

k5083 wrote:

August

They've since updated their info, thank goodness!

From the red corner, the first jab in the TPM v MPT match: http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/2017/ ... -sum-game/

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22