Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:23 pm 

I have some Individual Aircraft Record Cards with overseas destination and project codes that do not appear in any list I have. One shows an aircraft delivered to POE (Port of Embarcation) Charleston, thence to "STRUCTURE." What was STRUCTURE?

Another shows an aircraft delivered to SAD (Sacramento Air Depot?) for "Project 936" thence to "COPPER" for "Project 935." I suspect COPPER and Project 935 refer to one of the Pacific or Far East Air Forces, as the aircraft is subsequently identified as being assigned to Hawaii and was surplussed to the Reconstruction Finance Corporation from "IRON" (7th Air Force, Hawaii).

Can anyone identify these Project and Destination Codes? I have Robert Mann's book, but these codes do not appear in any of his lists.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:36 pm 

Check out this list of NAVY coded locations, it may help
https://www.bluejacket.com/usn-usmc_ww2_location-codes.html

Locations appeared as postal code abbreviations in order to keep unit locations classified.The mystery of the codes has been solved. I was able to locate the codes for all Navy locations. NAB stands for Naval Advance Base.
Here are the codes for Navy base locations.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:09 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'd love to know too: I'm still trying to find what "SINSTPE" means! (I suspect the SINS bit may be 'strike in situ', but it's just a guess).

Incidentally I have often found that if you look at enough aircraft records, you can usually work out these codes if you know a little about the aircraft themselves: I did this with 4Fxxx and 5Fxxx project codes which related to 1954 and 1955 fighter ('F') assignments to USAFE.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:02 am 

TEAK is Port Moresby, New Guinea
SUMAC is Fifth Air Force, Brisbane
POPPY is 13th Air Force, Noumea

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR P-38 PARTS