Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:21 am 

Dan K wrote:
CJAM427 wrote:

Kinda' like time warping back to Oshkosh in the 1970's. :rolleyes:

Beautiful.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:12 am 

From the Pacific Fighters page, same plane.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:24 am 

Dan K wrote:
CJAM427 wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking! I've spent a lot of time around the XP-51. Seeing these two together would be amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:51 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The first two XP-51's were 41-038 and 41-039, pulled from RAF production to be kept and evaluated by the USAAC/USAAF. The EAA example is 41-038, and I believe the vision/plan behind the new finish/paint scheme on the restored 43-6006/N51Z is that of the other XP-51, 41-039. I know the NACA 127 P-51D is John Muszala Jr's favorite Mustang, which Pacific Fighters also restored back in the 90's, and I recall John has the records on the original 41-039's time with NACA - thus, I'm thinking the inspiration might have been to depict another Mustang that also spent time in the NACA. In one of the Pacific Fighters photos, from earlier in its restoration, one can also see what I assume was a temporary drawing of the classic Wright Field arrowhead on the side of the fuselage as well, which the original 41-039 had when based there for evaluation (I wonder if that will be applied for real at some point). The aircraft even has, now, those unique reverse-facing scoops, like the original XP's/earliest versions had, above the rear cockpit glazing (as you can also see on the EAA's original), and the gun ports are covered over in doped fabric, as can be seen in original photos of 41-039.

And BTW, I'm totally blown away by the results of this restoration/rebirth of this aircraft. It is absolutely killer, and having followed the restoration, it is just as stunning from the inside as it is on the outside. Dusty Dowd has a real jewel, now!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:25 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Well now I know why the air was sucked out of the room when I clicked on this page! There aren't enough expletives to describe this transformation. Simply elegant...Congratulations to the owner and the artists for their vision!

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:44 pm 
KiwiZac

What all of you said! I saw the pics yesterday on Facebook and they just blew me away. What an absolute stunner! And to think she's going round the pylons this week, too!!! pop1

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:56 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I had high expectations but the finished airplane is far beyond anything I ever anticipated. Absolutely stunning is an understatement! What I wouldn't give to see this bird on the flightline with the TFC P-40C. I will certainly be looking forward to the opportunity to see it in person. Congratulations to all involved, spectacular results.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:52 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Dan K wrote:

Can't believe it's been 40 years since I shot these...

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:01 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

airnutz wrote:
Decamara wrote:
Why are these being called "razor backs"?

The Jug is the only true razor back

Something foisted on history by Air Classics many moons ago. Highback is preferred by "real" Mustang lovers! :lol: We need to quit tilting at windmills brother Don Q and pillory sum heathens until they "get it"... :lol: pop2
<>

Most of the highly modified "D"'s that are full blown air racers are referred to as "turtle deck" Mustangs. :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:28 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Lon Moer wrote:
airnutz wrote:
Decamara wrote:
Why are these being called "razor backs"?

The Jug is the only true razor back

Something foisted on history by Air Classics many moons ago. Highback is preferred by "real" Mustang lovers! :lol: We need to quit tilting at windmills brother Don Q and pillory sum heathens until they "get it"... :lol: pop2
<>

Most of the highly modified "D"'s that are full blown air racers are referred to as "turtle deck" Mustangs. :wink: :lol:

I wouldn't doubt that, it makes sense in classical aviation design terminology. A nick for the fairing structure behind the pilots upper torso and/or headrest. Actually back in the day in the 60's when around the aircraft or building models concerning P-51's I don't recall addressing the fuselage differences in Mustangs by labeling them. The "highback" birds were "greenhouse" or "greenhouse canopy" -51's and the later D models on where applicable were "bubble canopy", "bubble top", or "teardrop canopy" -51's. The razorback was exclusively for the "greenhouse" Jugs whose turtledeck extended into a spine along top of the barrel hull which reminded the crews of the razorback hawg(sp). Along came O'Leary, apparently taxed at having to say "bubble canopy" etc. and the rest is hist...ummm...err..new history...because this terminology has become accepted it applies to all highbacked aircraft. It's no skin off my nose really, but the result is it lessens the significance of the original exclusivity to the greenhouse Jugs.

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:01 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

FYI, the XP-51 was restored in the 1970's by Darryl Skurich at his shop in Colorado. It was very advanced for it's time. At that time people were importing Mustangs or buying spare parts out of Trade-A-Plane." SO it was a big deal to fabricate a few partws for it. I remember them saying the skin was not in good enough shape to be polished. Remember seeing pics of it with filler in a couple places to be painted over. That being said, when traded from the Smithsonian it was mostly all there.
Yes I would love to see it restored again and flown occasionally. The former "Polar Bear" looks spectacular.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

C VEICH wrote:
I had high expectations but the finished airplane is far beyond anything I ever anticipated. Absolutely stunning is an understatement! What I wouldn't give to see this bird on the flightline with the TFC P-40C. I will certainly be looking forward to the opportunity to see it in person. Congratulations to all involved, spectacular results.

No...

TFC P-40C
TFC P-36C
POF AT-12
RB P-38L
P-51A

The Five Silver Birds!

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Warbird Kid wrote:
C VEICH wrote:

No...

TFC P-40C
TFC P-36C
POF AT-12
RB P-38L
P-51A

The Five Silver Birds!

Agreed Warbird Kid! It would be nice if RB would throw on some early USAAC roundels for the gathering though. :supz:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:25 pm 
KiwiZac

Warbird Kid wrote:

John and Shanty Irish made it up to Unlimited Silver at Reno, which finished just seconds ago, and it looks like they took third place. Congrats to John and the Pacific Fighters team! :drink3:

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If razorback is correct for the Thunderbolt, why not the Mustang?
It's not an official name.

My logic: Until the "D"s of both aircraft, ALL Thunderbolts and Mustangs were high backed. Since it was all everyone knew, I don't think they would have had a descriptive name (the same way all Hellcats are Hellcats or P-38s are P-38s).

So logically, only the new/different variants would merit a descriptive nickname. If we could climb into the old way back machine, I'd wager both new models would be called bubble tops or something.
Now unless someone can come up with proof that P-47s were called razor backs before the advent of the Ds, I think O'Leary is getting a bad deal here.

In any event, calling a high backed Mustang a razorback is less of a warbird naming sin than writing P51, P.51 or other irregularities we see on forums.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next