Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:23 pm 

Do you ever wonder what happened to the old airport where you learned to fly? The "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website is a free historical archive of pictures & description of 2,206 former airfields, in all 50 states & territories.

Meigs Field, Glendale Grand Central Air Terminal, Flushing Airport, and many others lavishly documented. Visit http://www.airfieldsfreeman.com to see them all!

Paul Freeman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:43 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Paul,

Love your website, Oxford, Ma.... :(

Thanks,
Phil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:51 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Yes, I love that website too, a true gem! Puts a darn lump in my throat many times, but that's good old nostalgia for you. I'm just mostly grateful to see some of the old haunts I knew "back when" are documented, and indeed not entirely forgotten.

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:26 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Highly recommended to all here.
An' ah helped! :-D (Howell Field, Paducah, KY)

Welcome to the wonderful wacky world of WIX, Paul and Terry!

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I've spent many work hours reading through that website. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:15 pm 

Thanks to historical material contributed by Lee Corbin, Kevin Walsh, Ron Plante, Brian Rehwinkel, and hundreds of other aviation history buffs over the past quarter, the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website's quantity of material has grown to a total of 2,249 airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as Grand River Airpark MI, Maricopa Airport CA, David's Field MI, Twin City Airport AR, Nottingham Field VA, Steven's Desert Airport CA, Point Spencer AFB AK, Senia Airport IN, North Augusta Airport SC, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know.

Paul Freeman
www.airfields-freeman.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:24 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Ditto previous salutations and appreciation Paul. I've spent many an hour looking for record...and finding the airstrips we haunted when our family was very young on your site. Some of those spots were marked by the rotting bones of some forlorn aircraft barely visible from the road or "discovered" earlier in the Cub. Very exciting back then. It's nice to see many of those spots have somewhere they are collected and remembered.

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:37 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I have contributed to this site as I work on two former civilian airfields-including one my great uncle was an A&P at. I have spent hours and hours on this site. Its an amazing site!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:19 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Paul I can't thank you enough for putting the site together. I've used it since the early 2000s (don't remember who linked me to it, I think it may have been someone at the CalClassic Flightsim site) and I'm happy that I've been able to contribute a little bit to it on occasion.

It's always a great resource, and it taught me so much about several locations I knew about around my home town of Lancaster, TX, but had never realized what it was.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:50 pm 

2017 was a great year for the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website. Thanks to historical material contributed by Bill Grasha, Mike Denja, Kevin Walsh, Ron Plante, Brian Rehwinkel, and hundreds of other aviation history buffs, entries for an additional 117 airfields have been added to the website in the past year. This brings the site's coverage to a total of 2,280 airfields, across all 50 states. It includes new additions describing former airfields such as Tucson Airpark AZ, Yates Airport TX, Westwood Airport (1st location) CA, Holly Airport MI, Robbinsdale Airport MN, Northern Pump Airfield IL, Maveal Airport MI, Genesee Field NY, Hughesville Airport P, Applegarth Airfield NJ, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know.

And I truly appreciate financial donations, without which the site could not continue.

Paul Freeman

www.airfields-freeman.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:30 pm 

Thanks to historical material contributed by Lee Corbin, Bill Grasha, Kevin Walsh, Mike Denja, Brian Rehwinkel, and hundreds of other aviation history buffs, entries for an additional 111 airfields have been added to the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website in the past year. This brings the site's coverage to a total of 2,305 airfields, across all 50 states. It includes new additions describing former airfields such as Rudy's Airport NJ, Piney Hollow Airfield NJ, Portsmouth Island Airfield NC, Sycamore Airport IL, Bergdoll Field PA, Mather Airport OH, Ace High Airport MO, Wood Field VA, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know.

And I truly appreciate financial donations, without which the site could not continue.

Paul Freeman

http://www.airfieldsfreeman.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:42 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Altho the rest of the airfield is still in active, there's a small corner of this one that's abandoned...

http://goletahistory.com/two-hangars/

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:18 am 

The number of former airfields profiled on the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website continues to grow. Entries for an additional 99 airfields have been added in the past year. This brings the site's coverage to a total of 2,320 airfields, across all 50 states. It includes new additions describing former airfields such as Bar None Aiport CO, Gimlet Airport ID, Sky Harbor Airport WA, Spanaway Airport WA, Cole Airport TX, Gulf Coast Airport TX, Original Carmi Municipal Airport IL, Ashtabula-Conneaut Airport NJ, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know.

Paul Freeman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:02 pm 

The "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website is celebrating its 20th Anniversary! Driven by my interest to document our nation's disappearing aviation infrastructure, I put it on the web back in 1999. It's hard to believe now, but that was only 8 years after the world's first website, and only one year after the creation of Google.

The website has gone through incredible changes & growth: adding the domain name www.airfieldsfreeman.com, changing web hosting providers, but most of all adding an amazing amount of content documenting an ever-growing set of airfields, 90% of which has been sent in by readers. Some of these dedicated band of fellow aviation historians have been sending me material for literally 20 years. That has resulted in the website now covering a total of 2,346 airfields, across all 50 states. Many readers have told me that by seeing how many airfields we've lost, it motivates them to support the airfields we still have. That is the website's most important role.

So thanks to everyone who has supported the website over the past 20 years!

If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know. And I truly appreciate financial donations, without which the site could not continue.

Paul Freeman

www.airfieldsfreeman.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:50 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

pfreeman wrote:
The "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website is celebrating its 20th Anniversary! Driven by my interest to document our nation's disappearing aviation infrastructure, I put it on the web back in 1999. It's hard to believe now, but that was only 8 years after the world's first website, and only one year after the creation of Google.

The website has gone through incredible changes & growth: adding the domain name http://www.airfieldsfreeman.com, changing web hosting providers, but most of all adding an amazing amount of content documenting an ever-growing set of airfields, 90% of which has been sent in by readers. Some of these dedicated band of fellow aviation historians have been sending me material for literally 20 years. That has resulted in the website now covering a total of 2,346 airfields, across all 50 states. Many readers have told me that by seeing how many airfields we've lost, it motivates them to support the airfields we still have. That is the website's most important role.

So thanks to everyone who has supported the website over the past 20 years!

If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know. And I truly appreciate financial donations, without which the site could not continue.

Paul Freeman

Thanks for the reminder! I need to look some stuff up, too!

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.