Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Dunkirk
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:43 am 

Although Bob Hoover may have had something to say about Tom Hardy's amazing energy management in a Spitfire, I have to give a hearty YES to Dunkirk. For the most part, Christopher Nolan got it right....and though I would almost venture to say it's not a war movie as much as an observation in survival, given what we have had to choke down with Pearl Harbor and Red Tails, even though the flying only makes up 1/3 of the movie, the Spits, Blenheim, and large-scale HE-111 and Stukas bring the goods home. Proof again that CGI will never replace real planes in real 'space'.

I'm going to see it again.

Post subject: Re: Dunkirk
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:54 am 

Going to see it tonight in IMAX.....lets hope it lives up to the hype :spit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:48 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Just saw it today with my sons. I'm not one to gush about movies, but this one is a must see if you like history. It misses a few things (like the French participation) but the flight scenes are great and the ship scenes are breathtaking. My only bald criticism- not enough Hawker Hurricanes!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:31 pm 

You missed the French shown holding the perimeter, the officers discussing the French holding part of the perimeter, and the naval officer staying at the end to get the French out?

It was very good, and I didn't mind the incorrect aviation aspects too much. I do object to having knowledgeable characters saying historical lies to massively downplay the part played (and risks taken) by the RN in order to raise the apparent importance of the small boats.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:06 am 

Anybody interested in knowing more about the air war over Dunkirk.

I've just bought this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnbDw2N ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:41 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

I'm looking forward to seeing this. I must admit most of my knowledge of Dunkirk is sketchy at best. I've recently started to read more about it and learned of the considerable French involvement including the loss of three destroyers during the evacuation. I see we already have a book recommendation but does anybody know of a documentary or website devoted to this engagement that they would recommend?

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:58 am 

Oldie but a goodie.

Episode 4 of The World at War.

http://war.docuwat.ch/videos/the-world-at-war/world-at-war-04-alone-in-britain/?channel_id=1&skip=0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:33 pm 

Certified fresh at Rotten Tomatoes (92%)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dunkirk_2017

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:02 pm 

When I saw some reviews saying it was in the running to beat Private Ryan for best war movie ever, I was a bit sceptical. But wow. Saw it in IMAX (definitely the way to do it) and I'd have to agree. Definitely close.

LOVED the flying scenes. FINALLY we get real airplanes!

I'd be very interested to hear more about the involvement of HInton/Shipley/Friedkin and where the aircraft came from. Obviously all or most from the UK, but some back stories would be nice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:44 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The three Spitfires used in the film are all owned by Dan Friedkin/Comanche Fighters, and are permanently based in England (this being in addition to the three US-based Comanche Fighters Spitfires). The movie pilots included Dan Friedkin, Ed Shipley, Steve Hinton and John Romain. The three Spitfires were the Mk.Ia AR213 (G-AIST), Mk.Ia X4650 (G-CGUK), and the cleverly-disguised Mk.Vb EP122 (G-CISV). The role of the Bf-109 was played by the Historic Flying Ltd. Buchon (G-AWHK) - originally was to be the Planes of Fame Buchon, but it wasn't completed in-time. Of course the Blenheim Society's Bristol Blenheim (G-BPIV) also was used in the film. The rest of the aircraft were played by RC models (Stukas and He-111's) and a full-size replica Spitfire.

Perhaps the coolest part was the use of a Yak-52TW, with the front cockpit converted to look like a Spitfire (and nicknamed the "Yakfire"), so that all of the shots of the actors in-flight could be filmed with them seated in an actual aircraft and flying right along with the actual Spitfires, not having to rely on green screen or anything. As can be seen in the following links, an IMAX camera was mounted in various positions on the aircraft, to capture the various shots of the actors in-flight, seated in the front cockpit, adorned to look on camera as a real Spitfire. I saw a video on Youtube (I've lost the link) where one of the pilot actors describes the amazement and excitement of being filmed flying wing-to-wing with actual Spitfires.

https://www.aironline.nl/weblog/2016/07 ... her-nolan/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/supasmokey/28079338584/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/supasmokey/28629521065/

Some behind-the-scenes photos:
http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... &p=1041563
https://www.flickr.com/photos/supasmoke ... 2256718785

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:50 am 

Still don't get the use of the Buchon - At the very least, they could have CGI'd the cowling to look like a 109.

After all, it was one thing to use Buchons back in 1969, when that was all you had (and you were lucky to have them). Nowadays, I just don't get it.

The lack of Hurricanes is a minor annoyance as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:34 am 

They should have had a cover on the nose of the burning Spitfire to hide the empty engine compartment. Picky picky picky.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:54 am 

JFS61 wrote:
Still don't get the use of the Buchon - At the very least, they could have CGI'd the cowling to look like a 109.

After all, it was one thing to use Buchons back in 1969, when that was all you had (and you were lucky to have them). Nowadays, I just don't get it.

Especially with the ex-Russell Group 109E right there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:47 am 

JohnTerrell wrote:
Perhaps the coolest part was the use of a Yak-52TW, with the front cockpit converted to look like a Spitfire (and nicknamed the "Yakfire"), so that all of the shots of the actors in-flight could be filmed with them seated in an actual aircraft and flying right along with the actual Spitfires, not having to rely on green screen or anything. As can be seen in the following links, an IMAX camera was mounted in various positions on the aircraft, to capture the various shots of the actors in-flight, seated in the front cockpit, adorned to look on camera as a real Spitfire. I saw a video on Youtube (I've lost the link) where one of the pilot actors describes the amazement and excitement of being filmed flying wing-to-wing with actual Spitfires.

Thank you, John. I spent the last several days trying to figure out what kind of plane that was. The dimensions and shapes for a Spit were not correct in those scenes...not that for me it detracted from the movie at all. I could tell it was some kind of radial with the fake exhaust stacks on it, but.....

Very cool. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:57 am 

JFS61 wrote:

But while the majority of RAF aircraft involved were Hurricanes, there WERE Spitfire squadrons that participated on Operation Dynamo. I guess that's why it doesn't bother me at all, because I saw that segment of the movie as just centering on those three (or really, two) planes....not a representation of the overall RAF effort.

That being said...I agree that if Hurricanes had been used it would have been just as effective. Probably that the public recognizes a Spit more than a Hurricane.