Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Collings Foundation P-51 damaged

Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:19 pm

While at the Fort Collins/Loveland airport, the P-51 was being moved into a maintenance hanger. Someone covered one of the troughs on the floor with particle board and when the main gear rolled over it, well you can guess. Looks like damage limited to wing tip, gear door and a few other bruises. No prop strike. That is all I could find out for now.
Last edited by Xrayist on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Collins Foundation P-51 damaged

Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:27 pm

Which Mustang? C or D ?

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:29 pm

I think the C is in deep maintenance now or will be, and the D is the one on tour. The D was out last year.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:40 pm

The "D" ..."Toulouse Nuts" (sp?) and marked KY ANG is on tour.
I saw it last week.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:02 am

JohnB wrote:The "D" ..."Toulouse Nuts" (sp?) and marked KY ANG is on tour.
I saw it last week.

:shock: Hate to hear this, hope all can be fixed quickly and she can be back in the air soon.

BTW: "Toulouse Nuts" wears the markings it had while in service with the WV ANG.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:44 am

Sorry, I didn't look at my recent photos. WV, KY, at least I was in the correct neighborhood. :)

I did think it was odd to have a (presumably) wartime nickname on a post-war aircraft?
Was it a combat survivor or did a wartime pilot put his plane's name on his ANG aircraft?

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:02 am

JohnB...shameless plug here...

http://mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/news/4 ... en_Apr2017

There is a great article in the November 2016 of Air Classics on this Mustang too!

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:29 pm

JohnB wrote:Sorry, I didn't look at my recent photos. WV, KY, at least I was in the correct neighborhood. :)

I did think it was odd to have a (presumably) wartime nickname on a post-war aircraft?
Was it a combat survivor or did a wartime pilot put his plane's name on his ANG aircraft?

Indeed, you were in the neighborhood! :D

Several WV ANG Mustangs were adorned with nose art (and names), The one on display at McLaughlin Air National Guard Base, in Charleston, WV, is named "Wham Bam" and features a cartoon rabbit. There were numerous other examples. Even one of their C-47s had the name "The Mountaineer" emblazoned on its upper fuselage in huge letters.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Xrayist wrote:While at the Fort Collins/Loveland airport, the P-51 was being moved into a maintenance hanger. Someone covered one of the troughs on the floor with particle board and when the main gear rolled over it, well you can guess. Looks like damage limited to wing tip, gear door and a few other bruises. No prop strike. That is all I could find out for now.

Particle board? Sheesh.......

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:06 pm

They might have an opening for a new ground handling person.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:50 pm

JohnB wrote:Sorry, I didn't look at my recent photos. WV, KY, at least I was in the correct neighborhood. :)

:)
http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57291

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:48 pm

Looking healthy this afternoon at Pal- uh, Chicago Executive:

Image(little feller's had a few)
Last edited by Chris Brame on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Looking very, very healthy! I love how good she's looking.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:38 pm

Is that Pinky flying it?

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:12 pm

Don't know, but that's the luckiest kid in the world riding in it! :D
Post a reply