Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:00 am 

Not everyday you hear about a P-51 flying the Trans-Atlantic route. pop1 Will it be there to stay?
Quote:
New participating aircraft added to the Flying Legends Airshow 2017. P-51B Mustang ‘Berlin Express’, will be flown to the UK to debut at Flying Legends 2017. We will keep you updated on her epic trip from the USA. More to follow! Flying Legends Airshow - IWM Duxford 8-9 July 2017.

https://www.facebook.com/FlyingLegendsOfficial/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:32 pm 

Looks like its not coming over on its own, but as a pair of P-51's in company with Dan Friedkin's P-51D 'Frenesi'.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:40 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

From some posts over the past few days on Facebook, Dan Friedkin is the new owner of "Berlin Express" (the 8th flying Mustang in the collection - A-36, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D x2, P-51K x2, TF-51D). With it being flown over to England, just as "Miss Velma" was 10 years ago, rather than shipped over, as has been so often the case with Friedkin's planes in the past, I'm curious to see if this means it will turn out to be staying in England permanently. Dan Friedkin has 3 of his 6 Spitfires based in England, and there are some clues that lead me to believe that the Bf 109E "White 14", now flying again in England and in the care of the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar, is perhaps owned by Friedkin as well (just a feeling, based on a number of clues).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:27 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Yeag, I'm done. You can find someone else to troll.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:43 am 

JohnTerrell wrote:
Yeag, I'm done. You can find someone else to troll.

Don't engage the trolls.

You keep doing you. There's a lot more positive feedback here for you than not.

:drink3: :spit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:02 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

J.T., I appreciate your detailed and accurate input. You have the "right stuff."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:40 pm 

Yep, you just ignore him, John. Eventually they get bored and go elsewhere. You are doing WIX a huge favor with your updates. Keep em coming!

I saw a couple of pictures of the B model in front of the Comanche Fighters hangar and had come to the same conclusion.

Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. “

– Michael Crichton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:25 pm 

Did Kiwizac generate responses like this from RobC, marine air, John Terrell, StangStung, and Thomas_Mac

"A very worthy addition to the fleet! Bravo to all involved, I'm excited to see the restoration unfold.

Out of interest (paging Encyclopedia John): how many PBYs/PBVs/Cansos are airworthy in the USA?"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

RobC wrote:
Yep, you just ignore him, John.
I don't know, those posts could be taken as positive as well. "How does he do it?" to me doesn't sound negative as I could see myself asking the same question in a positive aspect.
I didn't immediately assume those were negative and could be taken as lack of context like all internet posts...

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:51 pm 

Eric I don't find your posts malicious but perhaps a touch repetitive and when aimed at one individual could be interpreted as trolling them without any further context. I wish I got exercise jumping to conclusions :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:43 pm 

Thank you Thomas_Mac and p51! I agree with the repetition and context! I definitely could of been more creative and in depth with my replies.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:40 pm 

Eric, I accept your explanation. I never said you were a troll. I was reacting to John Terrell, who said he was done. I don't want him to be done.

Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. “

– Michael Crichton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:06 pm 

Rob C...awesome! I am very happy that folks are picking their sucker out of the dirt and washing it off and going back to providing great info for all of us! I am not very savvy on navigating around this place and was trying to find some of John Terrell's messages about the restoration of Berlin Express that he made earlier this year or maybe late last year. No luck yet. Wanted to read up on it again!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:09 pm 
KiwiZac

I meant it as a compliment to JohnT's amazing knowledge and recall. I certainly don't intend to troll! I wholeheartedly apologise if I've come across that way as I value John's input a bunch and he has been incredibly helpful.

Also I'm disappointed to have contributed to this important thread getting derailed. The idea of a "Bolero III" is fantastic, even if I can't experience it first-hand. A wonderful initiative.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

Last edited by Zac Yates on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:13 pm 

Kiwizac...ditto on all 3 of your points! I was just trying to make a point that you used the same term as I did and were not called out by multiple members. I still agree that I could of done a better job but I thought it fit nicely with the vast knowledge base and the fact that we no longer use encyclopedias.