Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:09 am 

I could be wrong here Seagull61785, but I always thought the Griffon swings to the right as it's opposite rotation to a Merlin.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:08 am 

Sopwith wrote:
I could be wrong here Seagull61785, but I always thought the Griffon swings to the right as it's opposite rotation to a Merlin.

Indeed it does.

And therefore the gyroscopic forces are the opposite as well.

A clockwise prop rotation (when viewed from the cockpit) swings to the left, an anti-clockwise rotation (when viewed from the cockpit) swings to the right.

Just glad they got the pilot out quickly, but still baffled as to why no emergency services were present at the event!

Cheers

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:31 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Bradburger wrote:
Just glad they got the pilot out quickly, but still baffled as to why no emergency services were present at the event!

Paul, here's a quote from a volunteer at the event (from Facebook) -

Quote:
At MAM some of the staff are retired fire fighters and volunteer fireman. It's a great feeling to have them on hand.
As aircraft handlers we are trained to use fire bottles I'd needed. Because of this we have an excellent safety record.

Additionally, while there were spectators, I can't find any information on either thread or on the net as to whether this was an actual airshow or just a fly-in where the pilot was about to depart for home. As such, being at a private airstrip, if it was a fly-in, EMS may not have been a requirement considering that they had professionally trained personnel on site.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:51 am 

CAPFlyer wrote:
Bradburger wrote:

Paul, here's a quote from a volunteer at the event (from Facebook) -

Quote:
At MAM some of the staff are retired fire fighters and volunteer fireman. It's a great feeling to have them on hand.
As aircraft handlers we are trained to use fire bottles I'd needed. Because of this we have an excellent safety record.

Additionally, while there were spectators, I can't find any information on either thread or on the net as to whether this was an actual airshow or just a fly-in where the pilot was about to depart for home. As such, being at a private airstrip, if it was a fly-in, EMS may not have been a requirement considering that they had professionally trained personnel on site.

Thanks for the additional info CAPFlyer.

(I think it might well have been a fly-in,with some displays by certain types - it certainly looks like a small fly-in type event given the size of the crowd and aircraft types present).

Those present who handled the fire extinguishers looked as if they were briefed what to do in an emergency, and knew what they were doing in such a situation.

That said, I still think such an event should have at least some fire and paramedic cover, as it would in the UK.

(It would seem from comments I've seen, many present at the event were surprised there was no emergency cover on site i.e. a fire engine and paramedics).

Here is what it says about fly-ins in the UK, as laid down in the CAA CAP 403 publication 'Flying displays and special events: A guide to safety and administrative arrangements': -

Quote:
3.13 Provision of on-site emergency equipment and or services must be considered by the organiser.

Cheers

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:53 am 

Bradburger wrote:
but still baffled as to why no emergency services were present at the event!

It was just an open day by the local aeroclub. Not an airshow.

As for the pilot, Cedric Ruet, who was for two years the pilot of the Rafale Solo Display of the french airforce, he was was "pretty beaten up" according to his own words, but was out of hospital before noon on monday morning, with only a bruised rib.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:20 am 

Looking at all the different videos of the accident, it appears that the Spitfire was running for quite a long time on the ground before it was ready for the take off, so I would think that it was on the verge of boiling and I would think that was why the pilot gave her a fair bit of gun so quickly in order to try and get airborne before she did actually boil, but unfortunately it all got away from him. That's the only reason I can think of for him pouring on the coal and getting the tail up so quickly. A chain of unfortunate events.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:21 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Like a flogged bull rider, he didn't make his 8 seconds! Probably the longest 6-7 seconds in his life. :shock: Betcha he won't do that again. Glad he fared well.

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:05 am 

Terrible news and had to wipe a tear away, when reading this about PS890.
I've seen this spitfire fly several times, and it was a realy stunning plane, again a lot of effort has been made to get her as far as she was.
I hope it's in the owner's reach, that she can be rebuilt, and back airworthy again.
It's a terribly big miss, in the French sky's,
Hoping for a successful recovery for the pilot, and huge success to the owner to get her back where she belongs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:11 am 

happymeal wrote:
Bradburger wrote:
but still baffled as to why no emergency services were present at the event!

It was just an open day by the local aeroclub. Not an airshow.

As for the pilot, Cedric Ruet, who was for two years the pilot of the Rafale Solo Display of the french airforce, he was was "pretty beaten up" according to his own words, but was out of hospital before noon on monday morning, with only a bruised rib.

That's very good to hear happymeal!

Quite remarkable really when you think what his injuries could have been.

Cheers

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Glad he or anyone else didn't get hurt too bad....that could have been tragic. It sounds as though the RPM's increased as he began his roll, tail rises...all steady, then noses over. Too much power or an unfortunate touch of brakes vs rudder at a delicate time?? Very remote theory....a fuel load shift induced nose-over??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:44 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

One for Dudley, is it possible that he was full of fuel or carrying a lot and what looks like a wet or moist turf as it seems to sit low? Maybe just thick grass, but that would give him a disadvantage on his takeoff roll, like a contaminated runway we also see in the sim at recurrent.

Lynn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:07 pm 

Lynn Allen wrote:
One for Dudley, is it possible that he was full of fuel or carrying a lot and what looks like a wet or moist turf as it seems to sit low? Maybe just thick grass, but that would give him a disadvantage on his takeoff roll, like a contaminated runway we also see in the sim at recurrent.

Lynn

Really hard to say. My understanding is that the 19 carries a large fuel load but I would be surprised if it was being flown with full tanks; possible of course.
This one is really strange. Looked to me like he had left rudder applied initially which would be right for a normal Griffon Spit but that tail came up hard and way too soon. The rudder was reversed during the nose over which could easily have been a reactive act.
There could have been a rut in play as well as he seemed to catch the prop prior to the violent swing.
All in all it's really hard to pin it down other to say that there seemed to be a tremendous amount of boost early on bringing that tail up. From that moment on the physics reacted violently with the forces in play possibly aided by parts of the aircraft and the prop making contact with the ground.
It will be interesting to learn what HE says happened.
Dudley Henriques

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:40 pm 

Okay one thing that I noticed but no-one has commented on is the two in the gyrocopter that taxi past the crowd while another pilot is trapped in his crashed plane. What could they have been thinking?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:53 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

dhenriques wrote:
Lynn Allen wrote:

Lynn

Really hard to say. My understanding is that the 19 carries a large fuel load but I would be surprised if it was being flown with full tanks; possible of course.
This one is really strange. Looked to me like he had left rudder applied initially which would be right for a normal Griffon Spit but that tail came up hard and way too soon. The rudder was reversed during the nose over which could easily have been a reactive act.
There could have been a rut in play as well as he seemed to catch the prop prior to the violent swing.
All in all it's really hard to pin it down other to say that there seemed to be a tremendous amount of boost early on bringing that tail up. From that moment on the physics reacted violently with the forces in play possibly aided by parts of the aircraft and the prop making contact with the ground.
It will be interesting to learn what HE says happened.
Dudley Henriques

I'm glad it sounds like all will make a full recovery. This could have been a lot uglier.
Something I'm wondering. As the prop blades get gradually truncated, could the RPM's continue to rise?
This delivered the full torque of the mighty Griffon to flip the aeroplane and even break the R/H spar at the root.

Definitely appreciate your insight Dudley. Thanks.

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:57 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

myteaquinn wrote:
Okay one thing that I noticed but no-one has commented on is the two in the gyrocopter that taxi past the crowd while another pilot is trapped in his crashed plane. What could they have been thinking?

Look at me! pop2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next