Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

The Quonset Air Museum's collection

Wed May 17, 2017 11:43 pm

Now that the museum is closed, what became of the collection there?

Re: The Quonset Air Museum's collection

Fri May 19, 2017 7:00 pm

The Museum's collections and artifacts are in storage and the aircraft are slowly finding homes, very slowly, and, unfortunately, they are not inside the building but out on the ramp in the salt air. :(

Fri May 19, 2017 7:23 pm

Is the R.I. Airshow still a go ?

Phil

Fri May 19, 2017 7:28 pm

I can ID most, but the single engined piston between the A-4 and 7 looks like a TBM.
To the left, what is the other piston?
Also in front of the F-4...a MiG...perhaps a 19 (looks to have a low tail, but it could be the photo).

Also, it looks like the S-2 has twin fins, but it doesn't have the randome like the WF.

Fri May 19, 2017 7:36 pm

I'm going to the r.i airshow tomm. Hoping it's a great time. WHY is it such a issue for a warbird to find a home? New England air musuem. Make a move and at least try to acquire the tbm then go from there.
Can somebody fill me in as to the bigger issues at hand with this? Is it more from the stand point of a president of a musuem not really interested in acquiring certain aircraft? Or is it more redtape, financial aspects etc which prevent such planes as to not go to certain places?

Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

JohnB wrote:I can ID most, but the single engined piston between the A-4 and 7 looks like a TBM.

Looks to be the Museum's one-of-a-kind Curtiss XF15C-1.

Fri May 19, 2017 7:56 pm

Does anyone know what happened to their Hellcat project?
http://www.warbirdregistry.org/f6fregis ... 70185.html

Fri May 19, 2017 8:51 pm

JohnTerrell wrote:
JohnB wrote:I can ID most, but the single engined piston between the A-4 and 7 looks like a TBM.

Looks to be the Museum's one-of-a-kind Curtiss XF15C-1.

The XF15C-1 is the one on the bottom left in front of the A-4 and F-4 and looks almost like a Guardian. I agree the one referenced is probably a TBM/F. The horizontal stabilizer and elevators support this.

Fri May 19, 2017 9:33 pm

whistlingdeath77 wrote:I'm going to the r.i airshow tomm. Hoping it's a great time. WHY is it such a issue for a warbird to find a home? New England air musuem. Make a move and at least try to acquire the tbm then go from there.
Can somebody fill me in as to the bigger issues at hand with this? Is it more from the stand point of a president of a musuem not really interested in acquiring certain aircraft? Or is it more redtape, financial aspects etc which prevent such planes as to not go to certain places?

Non flyers are a hard sell today.

Most Air museums have limited space for non-flyers and most private collections are flyers

transportation becomes a big issue quickly when discussing aircraft that never will be capable of flight

rare or unusual, but not popular aircraft are even harder, without a core constituency they don't generate the resources that say a Corsair or Mustang will generate

Fri May 19, 2017 9:52 pm

NEAM has a lot of yard space. Most of their other aircraft have been moved inside or sold off/traded.

Phil

Sat May 20, 2017 12:26 am

I would like to see the F3D find a home.
And you'd the the TBM would be welcome someplace since it's a WWII warbird.

The Huey would be easy to move.

And the Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport would be a natural for the Curtiss prototype. I wonder if they know it's available?

Sat May 20, 2017 5:35 am

The TBM will be going to the Commemorative Air Force, Airbase Arizona, located in Mesa, Arizona at Falcon Field.

Sat May 20, 2017 3:19 pm

I just got back from the r.i airshow and it was a great time. Some positive news is that most of the planes at the musuem are shrink wrapped from the elements. Other than that everything else is in dismal condition. You could walk up to all of it and take what you wanted

Sun May 21, 2017 11:45 am

Can anyone provide a list of the aircraft in the collection?

Sun May 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Warbirdnerd wrote:Does anyone know what happened to their Hellcat project?
http://www.warbirdregistry.org/f6fregis ... 70185.html

I would think someone would be interested in acquiring this.
Post a reply