Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:31 am 

Pat Epps (Glacier Girl P-38)
Don Brooks (liberty foundation)
Ray Fowler (liberty foundation)
Capt. Connie Bowlin (EAA Warbirds)
Capt. Ed Bowlin
Tom Wilson ( Curtiss Hawks)
Neil Bird (P-40 Collector)
Jack Roush
Benny Britt (Georgia Aviation Museum)
Capt. Paul Hunt (DAL, Warbird Pilot)
Capt. Jimmy Hunt (NWA, Warbird Pilot P-51 Vertelungswaffe”
Hess Bomberger (P-51 owner/ pilot)
Capt. Richard Hess (DAL, international Jets, EAA Warbirds Board)
Jack Erickson
Dan Gryder (DC-3)
Steve Collins (P-51, T-6, Stearmans and Waco Rides)
Steve Larmor (Stallion 51)
Wiley Sanders
Hoot Gibson (USN, NASA, Reno Racer)

Whole bunch more that I could list if I had more time....-Robert

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:13 am 

I saw Ray Anderson but how about engine guys Marty King, Jeff Abbott, prop guys Karl Byam, Ronnie Langlois, master carb tuner Bobby Parker, Nathan Durbin at S&T, Carlos Gomez, Matt Jackson, Ray Krottinger, Denny Lynch, Chester and Russell Roberts, Phil Pedron, Tim Savage, Carl Scholl.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:47 am 

Doug Arnold .

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:56 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

therealJR wrote:
I saw Ray Anderson but how about engine guys Marty King, Jeff Abbott, prop guys Karl Byam, Ronnie Langlois, master carb tuner Bobby Parker, Nathan Durbin at S&T, Carlos Gomez, Matt Jackson, Ray Krottinger, Denny Lynch, Chester and Russell Roberts, Phil Pedron, Tim Savage, Carl Scholl.

Talking of engines, I hear Precision called it a day?

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:13 am 

Hamish Mahaddie worth an entry?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:13 am 

Well, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Tim Chopp.

Tim pioneered the idea of a flying museum.
Tim founded the BAHF.
Tim and his group have continuously flown and maintained a 4-engine transport for over 23 years, missing only 3 events due to mechanicals.
Tim and his group have restored the only airworthy Boeing C-97.

C-54D "Spirit of Freedom" 43-17228
C-97 "Angel of Deliverance" 52-2718 (painted as YC-97A 45-59595)
C-54E/R5D-4 "Spirit of Freedom" 44-9144 BuNo 90414 (wfu April/2020)
http://www.spiritoffreedom.org

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:44 am 

Ya'll don't forget those who may be the most important of all. The guys (and gals) who do the actual restoration work and the mechanics who keep these things in the air. Of whom without, every 'wardbird' in existence would be a static display somewhere or not restored at all.

Last edited by CraigQ on Thu May 31, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:24 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Was Frederick Rentschler mentioned ?
Founder of Pratt & Whitney.

Pratt employee,
Phil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:56 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

One for the authors column: R. E. G. Davies

phil65 wrote:
Was Frederick Rentschler mentioned ?
Founder of Pratt & Whitney.

I wouldn't count Mr. Rentschler. He made important contributions to aviation, no doubt. However, as I mentioned in my initial post, this list was intended to focus on the people who cataloged, recorded, preserved, and restored aviation history – not the ones who made it. So unless he did one of those things in addition to his role as the head of an aircraft engine company, he wouldn't be included here.

EDIT: Actually, rereading Mr. Davies' Wikipedia article made me realize that I'm not so sure he belongs here. While he was a very important aviation author, his focus seemed to be on civil aviation – not warbirds.

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:57 am 

Anyone mention Don Hull yet?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you don't have Mr. Davies book on the history if airlines in the U.S., you're missing something.
If one considers his/her self an aviation history buff, (as opposed, I suppose, to an airplane fan) it's one of the volumes you should have.

I met him once an an event in D.C., he was a very nice man.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:05 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I came across two obituaries: one about Darryl Greenamyer, who was mentioned earlier in the thread, and one about Walt Ohlrich, Jr., who was not.

Also, on a recent visit to the Pima Air & Space Museum, I came across a sign in front of their O-52 about David C. Tallichet, Jr:
Pima Air & Space Museum wrote:
David Compton Tallichet, Jr. was born December 20, 1922, in Dallas, Texas to Margaret Williford and David Compton Tallichet.

At an early age, his leadership skills surfaced when he organized the Sunshine Club. The club's members all lived on Armstrong Avenue, where David grew up. He was an entrepreneur at this early age as well, selling magazines and Christmas trees, and he even had a concession at local football games.

David attended the University of the South, the University of Texas, and Southern Methodist University. He was a proud member of the Kappa Alpha Fraternity.

With America's entry into the Second World War, David signed up for military service. Pursuing his love of aviation, David joined the United States Army Air Force. Following cadet training, David was commissioned a second lieutenant, assigned to fly the four-engine Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress bomber.

David was based at Thorpe Abbotts, England from February 1945 to June 1945. There he flew with the 8th Air Force, 100th Bomb Group, 350th Bomb Squadron, also known as "The Bloody Hundreth." After V-E Day he was assigned to fly a C-47, ferrying fighter groups and personnel from England to occupied Germany. Returning to the United States, David joined the New Mexico Air National Guard, flying P-51 Mustang fighter aircraft.

While flying Mustangs in 1948, David was offered a position with the Hilton Hotel Corporation which he accepted. In 1955, David became General Manager of the Lafayette Hotel, located in Long Beach and owned personally by Conrad Hilton.

In 1958, while still managing the Lafayette, David and four other individuals obtained a lease with the Port of Long Beach. Later that same year, The Reef Restaurant opened. That was the beginning of Specialty Restaurants Corporation, which would go on to encompass over 100 successful restaurants located across the nation.

David is credited for creating the industry's first theme-concept restaurant chain. The theme restaurants had to be located on the water, a hill top, or by a runway. The names and concepts had great variety. David's creativity was not only with restaurants, but with theme shopping centers as well.

While increasing his business and starting a family, David never lost his love for aviation and history. It was in the late 1960's that he acquired a P-51 Mustang. That was the beginning of Yesterday's Air Force and the Military Aircraft Restoration Corporation. David would go on to be the world's largest collector of privately-owned WWII aircraft with an inventory of over 120 planes.

David's passion for aviation would take him around the world. Hollywood called upon him. His planes were flown in many films, including the B-17 in the "Memphis Belle", Corsairs in Baa Baa Black Sheep, a B-25 in Hanover Street, and a B-25 in The Young Kennedy.

In July 2007, David flew his B-17 to an air show in Willow Run, Michigan, where he was honored as the last WWII combat pilot still flying one of these very rare aircraft. He also received the Life Time Achievement Award from The Airpower Museum at Republic Airport in Long Island, New York.

14 of David's planes are here at the Pima Air & Space Museum, either on display or undergoing restoration, continuing the legacy of a truly great man in the history of aviation preservation.

David's passion was his work. He loved to fly his warbirds, to ski the slopes of Highlands in Aspen and to enjoy long weekends in Palm Springs. David was a true entrepreneur in every way. He loved the challenge. He will be missed by many.

David C. Tallichet, Jr.
December 20, 1922 - October 31, 2007

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:47 am 

therealJR wrote:

A few that were missed.
Pete Law
Dave Cornell
Mel Gregoire
Larry Burton

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:09 am 

From a British perspective:

-Ray and Mark Hanna
-John Romain
-Pete Kynsey
-Guy Black
-Peter Monk
-Stephen and Nick Grey
-Richard Grace
-Tony Ditheridge
-Air Marshal (ret'd) Cliff Spink
-Stu Goldspink
-Ron Souch
-Elly Salingboe
-Doug and David Arnold

And from all over the world:

-The Salis family
-The Meier family
-Steve and 'Stevo' Hinton
-Nelson Ezell
-John Sessions
-Stew Dawson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:02 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Should we add Nobuo Harada for the Betty restoration/recreation?

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next