Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:02 am 

K5DH wrote:
Drifter206, you have an amazing collection of B-24 parts there! Considering that they came from a crash site, the condition is remarkable. Good luck with the dog tag. Hopefully it can be identified and returned to the aviator's family.

Dubrovnik is indeed a lovely city! I was there about one year ago, my third visit. Friendly people, beautiful scenery, and good beer! :drink3:

I don't own the parts
Glad you loved it, it is indeed ...
Next time come to Cavtat It's way better :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:05 am 

mlenoch wrote:
Terrific find! I am glad that these were identified.
My family is from a small town east of Zagreb: Veliki Zdenci. I was told that during the war a 4 engine bomber came down near the cemetery. The crew was immediately taken away by the local partisans ( likely all survived ). Then the towns folk came to look at the wreck, but the German troops arrived shortly to disperse the civilians and retrieve the armaments. After the troops left, the towns folk returned and began disassembling the airframe for their own use. During a 1971 visit to the town, I found O2 bottles being used as well buckets and large airframe panels as fence sections. I was too young at the time to make any aircraft type identification.
Might you have access to a record of a bomber in the Veliki Zdenci area?
Thank you,
Vlado
PS: My distant "uncle-in-law" was Civtan Galic.

Cvitan Galić was a world war ace as far as I know.
Glad to see you here, don't now anything about the crash in Veliki Zdenci. I recently started this research in my area and I have a small group of people searching with me.

Post subject: Re: Crashed aircraft
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:10 am 

Tulio wrote:
Mick G wrote:
Wow, is this even legal? If anyone was lost their life, it should be left as a memorial. Pay some respect

Let's stop all kinds of digging throughout the planet:

Archeological, maritime, speleological, aeronautical, because more than likely through history, people have lost their lives, so the places should all be left as memorials.... right?

Saludos,

Tulio

Hii Tulio

I don't own the parts I was given permission to take photos, this was recovered 70 years ago. In the mean time this area went thru 2 wars and so on, so this is some sort of miracle they survived. Parts are kept in a garage but they were placed outside for photos. That is why they are in decent condition.
Antun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:35 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Drifter206 wrote:
Tulio wrote:
Mick G wrote:
Wow, is this even legal? If anyone was lost their life, it should be left as a memorial. Pay some respect

Let's stop all kinds of digging throughout the planet:

Archeological, maritime, speleological, aeronautical, because more than likely through history, people have lost their lives, so the places should all be left as memorials.... right?

Saludos,

Tulio

Hii Tulio

I don't own the parts I was given permission to take photos, this was recovered 70 years ago. In the mean time this area went thru 2 wars and so on, so this is some sort of miracle they survived. Parts are kept in a garage but they were placed outside for photos. That is why they are in decent condition.
Antun

Drifter206,

Tulio is making a joke (right?!) in regard to the first comment that the wreckage should be left where it was - aviation archaeology is learning from the past just as much as digging through the ruins at Pompeii.

Tom P.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:51 pm 

Tom P
I misunderstood your post, sorry. I agree with you. Research is the only way forward but it must be done according the rules..
Antun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:13 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Drifter206 wrote:
K5DH wrote:
Drifter206, you have an amazing collection of B-24 parts there! Considering that they came from a crash site, the condition is remarkable. Good luck with the dog tag. Hopefully it can be identified and returned to the aviator's family.
Dubrovnik is indeed a lovely city! I was there about one year ago, my third visit. Friendly people, beautiful scenery, and good beer! :drink3:

I don't own the parts
Glad you loved it, it is indeed ...
Next time come to Cavtat It's way better :)

Yes, I've been to Cavtat. It's another very fine place!

Does Croatia have a national aviation museum?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:17 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Quote:
Hii Tulio

Antun

Drifter206,

Tulio is making a joke (right?!) in regard to the first comment that the wreckage should be left where it was - aviation archaeology is learning from the past just as much as digging through the ruins at Pompeii.

Tom P.[/quote]

You are correct, Tom.

Selective "outrage" seems to me, out of place. If someone died at a particular historical event (so many of them happened through the ages) then why should an aviation crash be treated different?

If there are bodies still at the crash site, yes, dig them with all care and honors deserving, and give them proper burial.

It was clear -at least to me- that the parts were found long time ago, and that Antun was requesting information.

Saludos,

Tulio

I am one of them 'futbol' people.

Will the previous owner has pics of this double cabin sample

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Sooooo, how am I going to know to press 1 or 2, if I do not speak English????

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:07 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

To put to ease any lingering concerns....I'll take the liberty to say Drifter206 did the right thing and the proper govt agencies are engaged in these findings for possible MIA's.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:11 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Any candidates for an identity/crew for this one?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:12 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I may be out of line here but to me none of the parts in the photos show indications of a crash. A forced landing maybe but I have doubts that there was a loss of life based on the lack of physical damage visible.

The autopilot box is quite frail and it is nearly perfect. That box was mounted in the center of the instrument panel of a B-24J and that tells me that there was zero distortion of that area of the aircraft. Same with the other parts.

The generator is near perfect with no flange or case damage. In a heavy crash this part usually moves because if its mass and the mounting flanges will fracture. It looks like it was unbolted.

The flaps show little damage too most of the holes look like they happened around the farm. In a heavy B-24 wreck the fuselage keel can give way and the wing will collapse toward the ground. The flaps hanging down on landing (or even retracted) are also frail and will easily be damaged.

Same with all of the other parts; hardly any damage or distortion that I can attribute to a crash.

I would offer that this aircraft landed on its gear or a smooth belly landing with few if any casualties. B-24's don't seem to do well with forced or rough landings.

We brought her from: Image to this in 3 months: Image Help us get her all the way back Image

All donations are tax deductible as the Stockton Field Aviation Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Tell a friend as the Harpoon needs all the help she can get.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey
Vintage Aircraft, Stockton, California
http://www.twinbeech.com
'KEEP ‘EM FLYING…FOR HISTORY!'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:54 pm 

Dear Taigh
I was also thinking about this. In the last 30 hours I heard a new story that there could be one more that crashed somewhere near but didn't have the time to confirm this. You could be right sir. When I started this I only knew about one crash site and it turned up to be more, I'm on this and I will do proper research. Thanks for comment and I'll try to find out.
I will make correction to my report to the officials according to this.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:26 pm 

Drifter,

All those parts are best for a museum or historic collection for public.
Should not be sold off.

As to being war graves, I think that is if bodies still remains (I could be wrong).
Most times bodies are removed and parts of just "junk".
Some memorial is appropriate, but a pile of parts rotting away as a memorial I do not think help anyone.

Let us know any new details!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:14 pm 

Flying Pencil wrote:
Drifter,

All those parts are best for a museum or historic collection for public.
Should not be sold off.

As to being war graves, I think that is if bodies still remains (I could be wrong).
Most times bodies are removed and parts of just "junk".
Some memorial is appropriate, but a pile of parts rotting away as a memorial I do not think help anyone.

Let us know any new details!

Dear Flying pencil
No parts will be sold or scrapped. We are now in process of collecting and numbering all parts found
This topic is reported and it is in official process.
After all is done I will let you know all the details.
This is truly once in a lifetime story