Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:20 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Nice vid.
Thanks for sharing that.
Man alive the 109 is such a brute! The DB sounds awesome.
That wings over the beach seems to be a tough weekend for weather. Too bad. You could see the trees really rockin' and rollin'
Welcome to WIX.

Andy

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:39 pm 

Thanks.
We've been pretty unlucky with the weather over the past couple of years

Sean

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:23 pm 

Looking at the webcams from MAM, the P63 and Dauntless, (A24), are still there. Waiting for aviators? Dauntless in Army Hanger and P63 in Navy Hanger?, should switch hangers.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:08 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

pjpahs wrote:
Looking at the webcams from MAM, the P63 and Dauntless, (A24), are still there. Waiting for aviators? Dauntless in Army Hanger and P63 in Navy Hanger?, should switch hangers.

Just for the record, the CAF aircraft, through more recent research, has been found to be a true, original, built for the Navy, SBD-5 Dauntless, with the original Navy BuNo of 54532. A number of photos actually exist of the very aircraft, in its original factory three-tone Navy paint scheme, shortly after it was manufactured (at El Segundo, California), as it was involved in a taxiing accident with a P-51B at the Los Angeles Municipal Airport on March 17, 1944 - both aircraft had just recently been completed at the time and were undergoing initial testing prior to acceptance/delivery. After the accident, the Dauntless was repaired and was kept State-side for the rest of the war, primarily used during this time as a hack by USN officers. After the war it was of course sold surplus and went to Mexico in 1951, then later to Tallmantz and Ed Maloney before it was sold to the CAF. For many years the aircraft has been reported to be USAAF serial number 42-54532 (originally manufactured in Tulsa, Oklahoma/September 1943), but that is wrong - that particular aircraft was an A-24 that fought in the Pacific and was reportedly lost in combat. The screw-up of course was made many, many years ago, likely when it was sold back into the US from Mexico, when the BuNo of "54532" was assumed to be the USAAF serial of "42-54532".

This was all brought forth/dots connected by CAF pilot Col. Keith Wood and researchers/historians/writers Dan Hagedorn, John Davis, and Randy Brinks.

The Lone Star Flight Museum example has also been in a similar situation - for many years it was/has been called an A-24 ("would-be" 1943 manufacture, military combat service, etc.) - after WWII it too was sold into and came out of Mexico with the USAAF serial number 42-54682 assigned. Joe Baugher, as one example, has the aircraft now listed/corrected as SBD-6 BuNo 54682, which makes a lot more sense. So lately, now it seems as though there are three flying original Navy SBD's (CAF, LSFM, POF), one flying original USAAF A-24 (Erickson), with another original Navy SBD (Slattery) to fly very soon.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:27 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Anyway, to answer the question, the Dixie Wing SBD and P-63 are still in Virginia Beach as they will be going onto Reading, PA next, for the airshow there this coming weekend (MAAM's WWII Weekend).

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:07 am 

JohnTerrell wrote:
pjpahs wrote:
. So lately, now it seems as though there are three flying original Navy SBD's (CAF, LSFM, POF), one flying original USAAF A-24 (Erickson), with another original Navy SBD (Slattery) to fly very soon.

Note the POF SBD also has RNZAF combat use.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:19 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Here is the write up of the Dixie Wing's SBD's newly discovered history-
http://dixiewing.org/wp-content/uploads ... 54532-.pdf

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:01 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

As for the MAM Virginia show, does anyone know the specifics of why the following did not fly last week- at least on the Sunday when most flew?:

- me/bf-109. Thought she was ready?
- me-262. In the past she has done an overflight from Suffolk. I saw Mr. Czaia on the ground at Pungo in his (F-104) flight suit. I believe he is the usual 262 pilot.
- Avenger. Saw her on the grass by the German hangers with covered canopy.
- Fw-190. Is she flight worthy?
- Ju-52. ? Did not see her, but access to the area by the WWI and German hangers were already closed off by the time I got there (they are under the demonstration line), so could not see if she was there.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:00 pm 

sandiego89 wrote:
As for the MAM Virginia show, does anyone know the specifics of why the following did not fly last week- at least on the Sunday when most flew?:

- me/bf-109. Thought she was ready?
- me-262. In the past she has done an overflight from Suffolk. I saw Mr. Czaia on the ground at Pungo in his (F-104) flight suit. I believe he is the usual 262 pilot.
- Avenger. Saw her on the grass by the German hangers with covered canopy.
- Fw-190. Is she flight worthy?
- Ju-52. ? Did not see her, but access to the area by the WWI and German hangers were already closed off by the time I got there (they are under the demonstration line), so could not see if she was there.

The Avenger that you probably saw was not ours and was the CAF's. Our Avenger is currently in the Fighter Factory.
The 190 that we had on the flight line was flight worthy. Not exactly sure why it didn't fly.
The Ju-52 did fly at least before the show officially started.

Sean

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:59 pm 
KiwiZac

JonL wrote:
Note the POF SBD also has RNZAF combat use.

NZ5062 - if I only ever get to see one SBD in person, I really really hope it's that one.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22