Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:20 am 

on "seitenruder" is that second image the top-view? should i not be surprised it seems to be built-in with a slight turn to starboard? i'm thinking about faking myself up one of these out of balsa. very cool leaking the plans like this, to the resistance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:29 am 

If you need anything, please just ask and we will see what we can do to help. Have amassed a lot of references for this project and will only sit here if not used again. But, a nice GRP one would be perhaps a little stronger than Balsa! :)

Thanks,

Martin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:15 am 

Today, been we have been working on the pointy end with the plug for the spinner and back plate being created and the first hub is out of the mold. Everything is looking good......

Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:41 am 

Outstanding chaps>> :drink3:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:02 am 

Exhausting day at work today ;)

Martin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:46 am 

How good it is today to be able to get on without everyone in at work. So much has been achieved today. The castellation ring copies match up precisely with the blade we obtained in Switzerland and the copies of the latter have come out well too. The port air intake looks wonderful and the hub and spinner are off to be molded. Work now turns towards the canopy. But that can wait until Tuesday now!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:48 pm 

Richard W. wrote:
Neato.

Wouldn't mind having one of those rudders painted up to hang over the bar.

See here: http://www.ioffer.com/i/bf-109-rudder-e ... -607799090

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:55 am 

Interesting to see. I'm sure we could produce something a lot cheaper and one that people could either paint up themselves or have as a finished replica. Early days for us, we have had a LOT of interest with making our own rudders and once the first 109 has been finished, will sit down and come up with a plan for the future.

Martin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:10 am 

That one on ioffer.com is nice but way out of my price range.

The 1:1 '109 makes me want to get a model kit and start building again after 50 years!

Just fantastic work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:44 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mathieu wrote:
Richard W. wrote:
Neato.

Nice, but frankly, I'd rather have a blank one as I have my own markings I'd like to re-create. If you could make some in just Luftwaffe grey or unpainted, I think many others here would also like them.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

p51 wrote:
Mathieu wrote:
Richard W. wrote:
Neato.

Nice, but frankly, I'd rather have a blank one as I have my own markings I'd like to re-create. If you could make some in just Luftwaffe grey or unpainted, I think many others here would also like them.

I would agree. If something like this was available (unpainted) for around $100 usd +s&h I think you'd have a hit. But why stop there? I would say offer the P-40, P-51, Spitfire, and Hurricane rudders as well. And on top of that the nose spinners would be cool too. And heck, why not also the prop assembly. I could see guys putting the whole prop and spinner package together and on there wall.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:00 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Warbird Kid wrote:
I would agree. If something like this was available (unpainted) for around $100 usd +s&h I think you'd have a hit. But why stop there? I would say offer the P-40, P-51, Spitfire, and Hurricane rudders as well. And on top of that the nose spinners would be cool too. And heck, why not also the prop assembly. I could see guys putting the whole prop and spinner package together and on there wall.

I'm no expert but I have done some fiberglass work in my time and that experience tells me that $100 probably would not even cover the cost of material for something like this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What do you think the cost would be then?

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:57 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I recollect being told some years ago that Tallichet was asking $100K for a fiberglass Thunderbolt with a detailed fiberglass engine.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:47 am 

Once we have got the 109 delivered to it's owner and that won't be long as its off to the paint shop later today, then we will sit down and work out a price list for the rudders and then anything else that people would so desire. We have 3 people wanting P-51D front canopy sections and someone wanting 6 Hurricane exhausts so rather than the plugs and moulds, just sit gathering dust on a shelf, they could be used again just to build parts. We have in the past, only made complete airframes.

There seems to be a lot of interest in parts, especially with the 109 as I am getting a lot of requests. Only item that we have sold in the past, are Spitfire and Mustang prop blades mounted on stands. Finished and painted these go for around £900. As a gentleman stated above, production in fibreglass isn't that cheap as one would expect. It isn't the materials as such, but the time taken to mould the part and then the finishing processes. It may sound as if I haven't a clue, and to honest I don't. I sit here in an office and have my head in technical books and manuals all day. I leave the hands on work to our wonderful craftsmen! :)

Martin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next