Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:01 pm 
KiwiZac

Fantastic! I have some old components that I'd love to convert into USB stuff for flightsim use, but as you said it's all beyond me. A Spitfire cockpit and Oculus Rift sounds like the best toy ever!

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:19 am 

Well a few months down the line now. The 109E has been delivered to her happy customers and has been very popular at military events and re-enactments shows all over Britain. We have received some interest in building more, but nothing confirmed as of yet. I would have thought that as the real aeroplane is something of a rarity, that Museums especially those in Europe would be interested in an accurate replica of this classic fighter. But it seems not. We live in hope that someone somewhere would like one.....

And now we are making spare parts and rudders, rings and all matter of things for people. Very early days for us, as we are used to building it all as one, but a lot of interest and we have taken our first orders today. For more information, please look at my post on the Flea Market forum. Rudders seem to be very popular for the man cave.

Again thanks to all that showed an interest in our 109 build. Hopefully, we should have something different to show you all in the future.

Best wishes,

Martin Pengelly
Researcher
GateGuardsUK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:05 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Any idea what you'd charge for an unpainted 109 rudder?
I won't hold you to it, just would like to get an idea how much you'd have to get for one.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:33 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I believe Gateguards closed down a couple of years back.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:02 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mike wrote:
I believe Gateguards closed down a couple of years back.

Geez, I didn't even notice the dates... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:31 pm 

Just googled “gateguardsuk” and was taken to their website. Seems to be active with a 2021 date at bottom.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:42 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The website may still be active, the company is not. A quick search on the Companies House website shows that they ceased trading in September 2018 and winding up commenced the following month.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:17 am 

Hope someone picks up the pieces.We are chasing a set of fishtail Merlin exhausts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:36 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I just don't get companies like this. How many times have you seen someone make something cool in very small numbers, think to yourself, "Hey, if they made these available to the masses, I'd buy one," then poof, they vanish forever.
Then, the few that got made trade for really high prices, as nobody else can/will make them.
I can't count the numbers of times I've seen this in both the aviation and railroad preservation fields.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

p51 wrote:
I just don't get companies like this. How many times have you seen someone make something cool in very small numbers, think to yourself, "Hey, if they made these available to the masses, I'd buy one," then poof, they vanish forever.
Then, the few that got made trade for really high prices, as nobody else can/will make them.
I can't count the numbers of times I've seen this in both the aviation and railroad preservation fields.

I get what you're saying but I'm having a hard time thinking of any specific examples. Would love to hear about some of them.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:49 pm 

p51 wrote:
Any idea what you'd charge for an unpainted 109 rudder?
I won't hold you to it, just would like to get an idea how much you'd have to get for one.

Gateguards may have closed down, but they still use the same website and now trade as Replica Aircraft Fabrications Ltd. I am no longer involved with the company, but know that they have a number of replicas on build including various Spitfires and a P-51D. Am sure that they can still provide people with parts inc rudders etc.

If cant go through to them, let me know and I will make a personal visit and get new contact details for anyone interested.

You are more then welcome to have a look at my Gateguards Flickr album at:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152681315 ... 1142827268

Best wishes,

Martin Pengelly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:45 am 

Thank you Martin!Chasing them up now :) Pity they dont do replica Merlin and Db605,s...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:33 am 

I went over there today and asked what the state of play was. Yes, still using the old website and under the RAF Title, but basically the old company under a new name. If type "Replica Aircraft Fabrications' into Google, that takes you back to the same website.

I asked about 109 parts and rudders and such items as castellation rings (make a nice plant pot!) are available. And I know of another Spitfire creator so if stuck just PM me and I will see what I can do for anyone. Please too pleased to help.

Martin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6